• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the game has been out for a while, sure.

When it first launches? Pure idiocy.

Have you ever considered the buyer side? The people who would buy the cards for 1.00 when they can be sure by now that they will drop to 0.10 are the idiots. And less and less of these exist because of past experiences, so people start the prices lower to even sell them at all.

You're suggesting that digital pictures should have an inherent value of >0.10. (even that is crazy). Why?

fatty

I've heard that Monaco needs to be played with people, is it not worth it for solo? Is local multiplayer just as fun or do we each really need our own screen? (was thinking about playing it with my kids)

Grief.exe

Well, I already bought it, but the price was not that bad, I think.
I paid for Albion the equivalent to US$ 3,81 (R$ 8,49 - brazilian currency).
But thanks for the tip anyway! :)

I was eager to play the game. In fact, Star Citizen was the reason I bought X3.
When I saw the Star Citizen trailers, I felt I was watching some 3DMark benchmark, and started to think the huge scale of the game and all the possibilities. So I felt in need to play a good space sim "now". And found X3 (and there`s a sequel coming for this one, right?).

I'm really enjoying it, and can't wait to put my hands on Star Citizen too. I'm really excited for this game (and X3 sequel too).

Just making sure, I knew if you were interested in the X series, than Star Citizen would blow your mind. I see that it already has.

Have you heard of Freespace 2? It actually have a massive modding community, look into Freespace Open, that brings the visual fidelity up to modern standards.

-MD-

New games have had bigger price cuts. Look at Metro LL.

It's not just release date. La Mulana is another example where the dev said Valve wasn't interested. With so many games on steam the release date can hardly be used as an excuse.

Valve Decision Making (TM)

Yes. Mods can fix it though.

Metro LL is 6 weeks older than Rogue Legacy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also instead of buying Rayman just add another dollar and go buy the superior La Mulana instead. You'd be helping an indie instead of Ubisoft too! Sell your cards, etc. That dollar can make a huge difference.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was waiting for a lower price too :(

I don't quite understand why Bethesda is being so cheap with the Dragonborn DLC. Not only was it half off during Skyrim's Flash Sale when the sale began, but it released almost half a year ago now.

Wow, I just checked the new sales and they're all great. I don't even know what to get with my last $8. Rayman Origins, Eve Online, Civilization 5, or Portal 2.

Decisions decisions.

garath

Today's deals are just a tad bit away from being must buys, and instead, are no buys.

Today's sales kind of suck.

I'm still looking for:

Prison Architect
Starforge Alpha
Drakensang River of Time (I'll buy it at $5 at the end of the sale np though)
Unity of Command
UnEpic (probably won't happen. Not even on sale now)
La Mulana

Enco

Metro LL is 6 weeks older than Rogue Legacy.
Ok my bad. Still fairly new though.

My point isn't specifically about Rogue Legacy though. It's about Valve cherry picking a handful of games and repeating them over and over and over.

Skerj

I'll host a Monaco four-pack in a few hours for the after works bros.

$5.59 a pop.

1. PixyJunket
2. PixyJunket
3. ?
4. ?

Count me in provided temptation doesn't get the best of me and I buy it anyway. Even still count me in as I'll just gift the other copy. Now the wait for Rogue Legacy continues.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sounds like this is another bullshit decision by Valve.

Alternatively, the following happens:
- Valve asks developers how they'd like to participate in the sale.
- They write back with two prices: a regular sale price, and a sale price if they are featured.
- Valve makes a decision based on those prices which to feature, trying to get a mix of hit games, large commercial projects, and small independent games with a mixture of sale pricepoints. While they do feature independent games, they're looking for stuff that could be breakout hits or stuff that scratches a really unique itch.

WarZ was featured because despite everything, that shit sold really well, it almost certainly sold well yesterday, 10,000 people have recommended it to their friends on Steam (I have no idea if that figure counts negative recommendations, but the thumbs up thing next to the game metadata has something like 10,000). La Mulana was not featured because either Playism didn't discount enough or Valve correctly thought that even though the game is excellent, it's also pretty alienating and it would make more sense to feature something like Cave Story if they wanted to get a similar audience but sell more copies. Rogue Legacy was very very popular (and JUST came out!), so I suspect it's not being featured because the discount submitted with it didn't seem large enough for Valve to think it merited a slot.

That's not to say their logic is perfect or that they shouldn't take more chances or WarZ isn't a turd or whatever, but it's not like they're drunk monkeys throwing shit at a wall, there's obviously a process here that makes sense at some basic level.

BLunted

Banned
Does anyone know if I buy the EVE starter pack, does my 30 day game time start immediately or after I log in for the first time?

Thinking about buying it, but want put it in the backlog for now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Today's sales kind of suck.

I'm still looking for:

Prison Architect
Starforge Alpha
Drakensang River of Time (I'll buy it at $5 at the end of the sale np though)
Unity of Command
UnEpic (probably won't happen. Not even on sale now)
La Mulana

Prison Architect will be tomorrow's spotlight deal; it's now the one and only game featured on the Summer Sale cards that hasn't been a Daily.

I, too, was hoping for a deeper discount on Skyrim's DLC. Dawnguard and Dragonborn specifically. Too bad it's not going to be this time but there's always Autumn Winter next Summer Sale I guess.

New games have had bigger price cuts. Look at Metro LL.

It's not just release date. La Mulana is another example where the dev said Valve wasn't interested. With so many games on steam the release date can hardly be used as an excuse.

Rogue Legacy dev said nothing about Valve not being interested in a further price cut.

Once again, the game hasn't even been out for a month yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom