• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hakkuei

TRY THE DEMO BEFORE BUYING TRIALS EVO

I tried it earlier and it's a terrible port. I won't buy this unplayable stuttering mess until it gets fixed (if ever).
It's a shame because it's one of my favorite game on 360, I really wanted to have it on steam. Fuck.

Enco

Alternatively, the following happens:
- Valve asks developers how they'd like to participate in the sale.
- They write back with two prices: a regular sale price, and a sale price if they are featured.
- Valve makes a decision based on those prices which to feature, trying to get a mix of hit games, large commercial projects, and small independent games with a mixture of sale pricepoints. While they do feature independent games, they're looking for stuff that could be breakout hits or stuff that scratches a really unique itch.

WarZ was featured because despite everything, that shit sold really well, it almost certainly sold well yesterday, 10,000 people have recommended it to their friends on Steam (I have no idea if that figure counts negative recommendations, but the thumbs up thing next to the game metadata has something like 10,000). La Mulana was not featured because either Playism didn't discount enough or Valve correctly thought that even though the game is excellent, it's also pretty alienating and it would make more sense to feature something like Cave Story if they wanted to get a similar audience but sell more copies. Rogue Legacy was very very popular (and JUST came out!), so I suspect it's not being featured because the discount submitted with it didn't seem large enough for Valve to think it merited a slot.

That's not to say their logic is perfect or that they shouldn't take more chances or WarZ isn't a turd or whatever, but it's not like they're drunk monkeys throwing shit at a wall, there's obviously a process here that makes sense at some basic level.
This makes sense and I agree that the guys at Valve are far from dumb. They're amazing at making money which is what a company is meant to do.

Still doesn't stop the sale from being annoying at how few games are featured.

Morokh

What's all the fuss about Baldur's gate ? was going to ask if it contains the expansion pack that I never played but I see many posts saying to avoid the Steam version because the Gog one allows mods and all ...

thing is I still have the original, and BG2 and I tried the latter with mods that allow you to play on more modern resolutions and all a few years back and it was far from being the perfect experience.

So basically what do the Gog and Steam version do or not do exactly ?

Avallon

TRY THE DEMO BEFORE BUYING TRIALS EVO

I tried it earlier and it's a terrible port. I won't buy this unplayable stuttering mess until it gets fixed (if ever).
It's a shame because it's one of my favorite game on 360, I really wanted to have it on steam. Fuck.
Works fine for me. YMMV.

Deitus

Today's sales kind of suck.

I'm still looking for:

Prison Architect
Starforge Alpha
Drakensang River of Time (I'll buy it at $5 at the end of the sale np though)
Unity of Command
UnEpic (probably won't happen. Not even on sale now)
La Mulana

Prison Architect will be tomorrow's daily. La Mulana will not be a daily or flash sale at all.

FACE

Banned
Alright then. May as well just find the old disks at a thrift shop then.

Or you could get a DRM-Free version from GOG :)

I'm still looking for:

Prison Architect
Starforge Alpha
Unity of Command
La Mulana

Unity of Command is 66% off already ya cheapskate.

I'm still looking for:

Prison Architect
Starforge Alpha
Unity of Command
La Mulana

If you bought unepic from a bundle you can get a steam key free from their website. I did.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Alright GAF:

• Monaco
  • Rayman Origins
  • Fable III
  • Euro Truck Simulator

I don't have enough money to buy more than 1. Which should i pick?

Cth

Have you ever considered the buyer side? The people who would buy the cards for 1.00 when they can be sure by now that they will drop to 0.10 are the idiots. And less and less of these exist because of past experiences, so people start the prices lower to even sell them at all.

You're suggesting that digital pictures should have an inherent value of >0.10. (even that is crazy). Why?

For the buyer, it's well known the longer you wait, the more the price drops.

Ergo, again you'd have to be a complete idiot to sell it at .40 when the other 4 are all listed at 1.00

All it does is encourage people to similarly undercut and the seller market disappears.

Presumably it's someone desperate for cash for the summer sale (again cutting off their nose to spite their face if that's the case). For the buyers there's no rush to buy as there's no incentive other than levelling up and selling items.

The market was fine before it went widespread.

cicero

Have you ever considered the buyer side? The people who would buy the cards for 1.00 when they can be sure by now that they will drop to 0.10 are the idiots. And less and less of these exist because of past experiences, so people start the prices lower to even sell them at all.

You're suggesting that digital pictures should have an inherent value of >0.10. (even that is crazy). Why?
First off, he is talking about the rationale behind listing something of value FAR below the current value within the market, which caused the market to shift downwards until all cards are going for almost nothing, despite their actual "worth" based on number available for purchase, and purchase activity.

Second, the people who are buying at $1.00 have determined for themselves the value of the cards they are buying, and they are able and willing to do so. The point is that the sellers, the morons, are bottoming out the values in a frantic rush to try to sell their cards, that despite any CURRENT values which are actually selling. If you see something listed at $5, and it is being bought at $5, why would any intelligent person list at $1?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom