• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
If you think about the card system, Valve made a way for literally everyone involved to win.

Developers gets a cut of sales
Valve gets a cut of sales
People who don't care get money in their Steam wallet for more games
People who do care get to support their favorite games and show off their badges on their profile.
The addition of cards increases sales as well, so Valve and developers get more revenue.

I watched a quicklook of that game and apparently a large percentage of the trading back then was in hemp.

Pretty much every monetary system Valve has has the same philosophy. Even things like hats. Not necessary, people can make them and make money, those who want them can spend money. It's all quite amazing. The things they are doing with DOTA 2 and its competitive scene are pretty awesome.

Grief.exe

Oh wait why the fuck is Prison Architect expensive and "immune" from major sales?

The developers chose to release the alpha at a higher price in order to attract only the truly dedicated to bug test their game and report issues.

I believe the base price will actually go down as it heads toward release. Could be wrong though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Say, what RPG game was that featuring a guy casting ice spells on the floor causing enemies to slip to their doom?

It is getting a sale tomorrow.
It'll be tomorrow's featured Daily.
No idea, but not worth 30$. 15$ tops.

Yikes.

Since when are developers required to sell their games at huge discounts during Steam sales? Look at the typical price for the alpha release of the game, it is expensive.

For an alpha, it's still big. And hey, even La Mulana was generous despite Valve not wanting it to be in a Flash Deal it seems.

Eternia

Say, what RPG game was that featuring a guy casting ice spells on the floor causing enemies to slip to their doom?

Yikes.

For an alpha, it's still big. And hey, even La Mulana was generous and they didn't want to be part of the flash deal!
That'll be Dark Messiah Might and Magic.

Fireblend

Banned
Where's muh XCom trading cards ;_;

Seriously.
LLShC.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can you use the Steam Workshop on DRM free copies of Monaco?

Theoretically you could install your desired content into the game's Steam folder and then copy it over to the DRM-free version.. but that'd be pointless as it'd mean you have the Steam version.

Okay, so, before anyone replies to this post, please read it in its entirety.

Star Trek. I'm considering getting it. I know that it's unremarkable, ugly, buggy, that the community manager was a jerk about the game launching in an unfinished state. I see the Metacritic score. I know the combat is not supposed to be good, the minigames are annoying and too frequent. I know the ally AI is terrible.

So taking those things into consideration, I'm considering getting it. Here are the questions I have:
- If I generally like bad games in spite of their flaws, will I find anything to enjoy here?
- Are there any levels that are interesting?
- Are there alternate playstyles that can make the game interesting?
- How hard is it versus how frustrating is it?
- How long is it?

Please only answer if you have played it yourself or watched someone play it and can specifically answer those questions. Thanks.

All right Stump, since no one else seems to have any input:

- Maybe. It's not as bad as Colonial Marines, and given another year of development time it might have been decent. There's some mildly entertaining bits.
- Not really. Some visually interesting levels, but the actual design is super linear and not in a good way.
- Nope. It's a third person shooter with kind of crappy shooting. They attempt to introduce some stealth mechanics, but they don't really work. Enemies just see you.
- It's not hard, but it's frustrating in parts just because of how often something will go wrong. The mandatory AI is awful, and you need it to work in order to progress.
- I finished it on 360 in about 6 hours (Redbox, thank god).

Zeliard

Are the first two Thief games still playable? Already have Deadly Shadows.

If you enjoy stealth you should have a blast with the original Thief games. They're much like System Shock 2 in that they were ahead of their time. Excellent level designs, strong stealth mechanics, and one of my favorite difficulty systems ever (objectives change as you go up in difficulty, along with enemy and loot placements, among other things).

Looking Glass was a wonderful developer.

JaseC

Thanks! I'll be getting that if it's on sale.

It was on sale earlier into the sale. It'll see a deeper discount again assuming there's a Might & Magic Flash Sale/Community's Choice deal or there are encore deals on the final day and the Might & Magic franchise is included.

Has the Thief collection ever been 75% off? It's 66% off now but I was hoping it would become a daily/flash during the sale... Tomorrow is my last chance I guess.

nexen

If you enjoy stealth you should have a blast with the original Thief games. They're much like System Shock 2 in that they were ahead of their time. Excellent level designs, strong stealth mechanics, and one of my favorite difficulty systems ever (objectives change as you go up in difficulty, along with enemy and loot placements, among other things).

Looking Glass was a wonderful developer.

Thief .. all the thief games ... had amazing atmospheres. So creepy and foreboding.

I liked the sneaking well enough but really it was the atmosphere that made me love those games.

AHA-Lambda

Are we just set for nothing but repeats now cos I'm getting tired of this. Can I just pick up Kentucky Route Zero, Rogue Legacy and Thief now?

awaiting gif

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Did the performance issues with trial gold ever get fixed? I want it but I remember hearing it had a lot of issues when it came out...

Play the demo and see for yourself. It runs flawlessly for me, but someone in the SteamGAF chat said it doesn't run well for him.

Puzzle Quest 1 >>>>>>>Puzzle Quest 2

imo

Totally disagree. You missed out a '>'.

Alright PQ1 is on sale for 4 bucks. Worth it? Reviews seem to be good for this one as well. Won't be getting PQ2 then I guess.

I much prefer the original over its sequel, which seems to have some real AI issues and definitely has too many tedious mini-games. They're both good mind you, but you're likely to be match-3ed out by the time you've finished the first and the sequel just doesn't cut the mustard in comparison.

Grief.exe

For an alpha, it's still big. And hey, even La Mulana was generous despite Valve not wanting it to be in a Flash Deal it seems.

Don't perpetuate falsehoods, please.

If Boss Doggie isn't perpetuating false hoods, holding strange opinions, and generally making factually incorrect statements, then it isn't Boss Doggie posting.

That's who he is.

Are the first two Thief games still playable? Already have Deadly Shadows.

Isn't there a new mod that came out that makes the game look absolutely amazing?

I know you can do the DX10 renderer like Deus Ex

Has the Thief collection ever been 75% off? It's 66% off now but I was hoping it would become a daily/flash during the sale... Tomorrow is my last chance I guess.

That looks like the lowest price its really ever been.

http://www.steamprices.com/us/sub/14734/thief-collection

JaseC

Nope. Its current price is actually the cheapest it's been on Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom