• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sale ends morning of the 22nd, doesn't it?

Yeah, when the store updates (10am Valve Pacific Time).

I don't know if I should trust that statement, I'm going to wait for Xelios since he has more experience with cards drop, A LOT more experience, like level 100 experience.

Hey, you have a Diane Kruger avatar. I guess that means we're friends.

X8tsUyX.jpg

JaseC

Damn, the combat in Sleeping Dogs is great. Now I regret not picking up the Drunken Fist DLC. I love that fighting style.

The TPS mechanics are also surprisingly solid. They're hardly as finely-tuned as, say, Max Payne 3, but within the pantheon of open-world games, Sleepy Pups is certainly one of the better examples.

holy macaroni!
You should watch The Bridge.

I've been meaning to, actually. I'll get around to it soon!

It's a shame the GMG sale was such a fiasco because XCOM plus its DLC was cheaper than Steam's deal iirc.

Also remember that Amazon is price matching and also has that one time use 15% off code.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Why are people selling foils right away? I guess people are pretty confident that the market will only get worse, even post Summer Sale?

Why are people selling foils right away? I guess people are pretty confident that the market will only get worse, even post Summer Sale?

I'm holding my foil from SSS in hopes that the prices go up. SSS cards are not going to drop anymore after the SS ends, making them more rare

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Whats wrong with TBoI???

After I bought the DLC yesterday and start the game, I unlocked 52(!) Achivements at once!

Now I get an update of my cloud files and after the game started...80 (!!!!) Achivements unlocked...

This bug is really annoying...I've lost all my motivation for the game :(

Does anyone have the same problem?

That sucks

JaseC

oh god, certainly the girl from Lovely Bones has grown up really well..

Truth.

I don't understand these cards. What is the point?

I am totally confused.

If you don't want them, you can sell them for Steam Wallet funds. If you do want them:

You primarily earn cards via "drops", which occur on the odd occasion while you're in-game (you don't actually have to be playing; you can just idle in the main menu and alt-tab to do something else). You'll have no drops remaining for F2P games if you didn't spend $9 in the in-game store prior to the trading cards being implemented (or, in the case of TF2, didn't own a copy prior to it going F2P), whereas for paid games, you'll either have an amount of drops equal to half or half+1, depending on the total amount of cards available (e.g. if a game has 8 cards, you'll get 4 drops; if it has 9 cards, you'll get 5 drops).

As for the cards themselves, there are regular cards and rarer foil cards, the latter of which you can flog off for a pretty penny if you beat the market crash; additionally, you can also earn booster packs, which are a set of three cards, with a chance of a foil, that "drop" infrequently as long as you've signed into Steam once in the past week. Obviously you cannot complete a set with the limited amount of drops, so you're encouraged to either trade for or purchase from the Steam Market the missing cards. You can gain drops in F2P games by spending money in the in-game store, but given that you only earn a single drop per $9 spent, it's far cheaper to just buy what you need from the market. While cards disappear from your inventory when you craft a badge, once you've "maxed out" a certain badge, they will remain in the badge section of your profile, so you can view them at your leisure. (Valve will soon be implementing a virtual binder wherein your cards, whether present in your inventory or having been used to max out a badge, will reside.)

Badges can be "crafted" either by completing certain tasks (such as the Steam Community badge) or "spending" a complete set of cards. The ability to "level up" promotional badges (i.e. those not based on cards) varies, but regular card-based badges can be taken to level 5, while the special foil badges can be crafted just the once. When crafting a badge, you earn an emoticon, profile background (both related to the game in question), a Mysterious Card and 100 XP. XP in particular is used to "level up" your Steam Community profile, and with each level you gain an additional five friend slots as well as a showcase slot to show off something of your liking on your profile (rare/favourite games, games/DLC owned, achievements earned, etc.)

Edit: If a badge is not showing up in your list, either because you don't own the game in question or haven't spent enough money in the in-game store, it will appear after you receive a card pertaining to it. For instance, I didn't spend money in Dota 2 prior to the trading cards going live, so the badge didn't appear in my list until I began buying Dota 2 cards.

Edit edit: Sorry, I can't type tonight. :(

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Let me explain why I have no clue what is going on. I rarely load up Steam. I load it up when some ridiculous sale is happening to buy a game I will probably never play. Especially since I only purchase games that are mac compatible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Let me explain why I have no clue what is going on. I rarely load up Steam. I load it up when some ridiculous sale is happening to buy a game I will probably never play. Especially since I only purchase games that are mac compatible.

I'm just ignoring the cards, they go completely over my head. it's like its own little F2P game within steam. I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom