• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if I am going to be around for the end of the sale, so I figured this would be a good time to say thanks to everyone here. As someone just getting into PC gaming, these threads were super helpful, and pretty much everyone was damn awesome.

This week has been incredibly fun, and I made it through my Steam sale only spending $40. :D

Thanks for reminding me why GAF can be a really awesome place!

There's only one person buying those cards right now. You :p

Right. And this is the fundamental reason why all the "OMG! PEOPLE ARE SELLING TOO CHEAP AND RUINING TEH MARKET FOR EVERYONE!!111!!!! STUPID COMMUNITY" posts make me chuckle a bit.

There's a huge disparity between the perceived vale of, for argument's sake, a foil card between the seller and the purchaser.

Purchaser will simply not buy if it's too expensive. But seller's seem to think that if *all* cards have parity, then the seller will increase his expectations and what he is willing to pay. This simply does not happen in practice.

So ultimately, you hit a stalemate with an asking price that the seller is unwilling to reduce and the buyer is unwilling to pay. When you hit this point, the following happens:

1 - Someone throws the same item on but cheaper
2 - Seller panics and tries to buy up the cheaper item to artificially inflate the price

This can become a vicious circle, and you end up with sellers who own four or five of one item, without the capability to sell these cards on without making a loss. A very precarious position to be in.

Regardless, the main reason that this is a highly dangerous game to play is that the market is, by design, deflationary. Prices will always go down in the long term, because there is an infinite supply of new trading cards flooding onto the market, but a finite amount of users willing to purchase. As more and more users craft their badges, the need to buy these cards reduces further, causing more cards to be placed on the market. At the same time, more of these cards are dropping and being listed on the marketplace. Net result - prices regularly drop to more accurately reflect the buyer's perceived value.

Artificial price inflation is a game you cannot win. Someone will always be able to undercut you somewhere along the line and leave you holding a lot of real money's worth of fake trading cards.

In fact, IMHO the "problem" with the marketplace is not the sellers setting prices too low, but instead the sellers setting prices too high and expecting to make a quick profit from their fellow community members with minimal effort.

TLDR; Always remember that the market is driven by supply and buyer demand. The longer prices remain high or are artificially inflated the greater the probability of a huge correction.

Decado

For those who are considering purchasing Monaco:

Dev has matched the deal on the Monaco website. If you order it from there, not only will you get the same price as on Steam, but you'll get a Steam copy AND a DRM free copy.

In addition, you're supporting the dev by enabling him to make a sale without the 30% cut to Valve.

Payment options: Paypal, Amazon payments and Google wallet.

http://www.monacoismine.com/

How does he bypass the 30% cut to Valve when he still provides a steam key...?

BTW, does anyone else think Valve's 30% policy shouldn't be applied across the board? Seriously, give the indies a break...

th3dude

My spending went over another $10 threshold, but I didn't get a card right away. Is this normal? Does it sometimes take a while?

All or nothing.

PSmmlLM.png

Am I the only person here who would buy the $3.99 listing? There's something about 3 or more listings from the same person that puts me off buying from them.

Cybaster

BTW, does anyone else think Valve's 30% policy shouldn't be applied across the board? Seriously, give the indies a break...

Valve can provide steam key to publishers at no cost.

MikeDown

Banned
This probably isn't the place to post this, but perhaps some gaffers could help me. I sometimes use the xbox 360 controller for games like Remember Me. Recently my system has been having issues recognizing the controller. It automatically lights up in the second player position, and seems to recognize everything except for the left thumb stick. Any ideas?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I really just want any game with lots of skills and stuff. Any suggestions?

Actually, Dredmore has a ton of skills and items. And the Workshop lets you add even more.

Basically, when you start a new character you pick something like 8 or so skill sets to level up as you play. There's no real classes, since you mix and match between Dex, Str, and Int based skill sets.

The skill sets are usually a mix of orientations; melee, spells, crafting, ranged, and a lot more.

Some sets dovetail nicely with others, or are downright necessary. Crossbows seemed like they really needed tinkering to be worthwhile for instance.

I like Dredmore, but I've also heard other folks say it's crappy for a roguelike. I think mostly because you can get fucked over pretty hard by it's randomness. But it does let you choose between regular, savable progress and hardcore permadeath games.

Hanzou

Is there a reason why the flash deal for New Vegas links to the vanilla version? Just seems like it would make more sense to link to the ultimate edition. Is anyone really going to pick the vanilla version over the ultimate one at this point?

I would as there is so much content in the Vanilla Version I won;t even get through that let alone DLC stuff.

hitmon

Anybody know if buying the FTL game directly from the devs through the humble store nets both drm free version and the steam key?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Steam keys are provided to publishers free of charge with no strings attached. Valve doesn't see a cent from Steam key sales outside of Steam itself.

The funny thing is, that when you play the Steam Market, you cause it to sort of relapse for several hours while people try to desperately fling their cards away for cash.

Fireblend

Banned
On the topic of Dust, I'm 5 hours in (51% by the game's progress indicator) and I'm loving it to death. I was thinking about juggling between around 3 games, Dust included during this weekend so I could advance a bit in each of them, but I think Dust is gonna take up all the time I have until I beat it. Lovely game.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Actually, Dredmore has a ton of skills and items. And the Workshop lets you add even more.

Basically, when you start a new character you pick something like 8 or so skill sets to level up as you play. There's no real classes, since you mix and match between Dex, Str, and Int based skill sets.

The skill sets are usually a mix of orientations; melee, spells, crafting, ranged, and a lot more.

Some sets dovetail nicely with others, or are downright necessary. Crossbows seemed like they really needed tinkering to be worthwhile for instance.

I like Dredmore, but I've also heard other folks say it's crappy for a roguelike. I think mostly because you can get fucked over pretty hard by it's randomness. But it does let you choose between regular, savable progress and hardcore permadeath games.

Hmm, I might get it, then.

Are there any other games with customisation and lots of replay value? Preferably something cheap.

Noogy

But Noogy, you're the one supposed to be making money off of cards! You get 10% of each card sold.

I'm tempted to start buying every Ginger Foil I see and contribute to your cause, because I believe in you and what you stand for. We're taking the whole system down!

On the topic of Dust, I'm 5 hours in (51% by the game's progress indicator) and I'm loving it to death. I was thinking about juggling between around 3 games, Dust included during this weekend so I could advance a bit in each of them, but I think Dust is gonna take up all the time I have until I beat it. Lovely game.

Thanks, glad you are enjoying it ;)

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Well, I'm headed to bed. RustyO, if you read this and you still want that copy of Monaco, please reply to my PM or add me on Steam...let's say, within the next twelve hours. If you've gotten cold feet that's fine, but someone else is interested in the game.

...Remind me never to host one of these again. What a clusterfuck, ha ha ha.

Fireblend

Banned
Thanks, glad you are enjoying it ;)

And very much so. I've already convinced quite the number of friends to get it, some while it was on sale and some after. My gf is currently waiting for it to go on extra-sale-mode during the next 2 days to get it (and if it doesn't I'll probably end up buying it for her anyway) after seeing me play yesterday
3AQmK.gif

I should probably write a Steam recommendation for the game soon. It's more than earned it. You're really skilled and you should feel proud. As a developer and wannabe game developer, Dust is an inspiration.

So, Bionic Commando 2009 is $2.49

I feel like I'm the only person who really liked this game - but goddamn I sure did. It's short, probably 5-6 hours long, but it's a damn fun game and the bionic arm works really well in a 3D environment.

I'll pimp this game till the day I die. Because no one else will.

Also, Bionic Commando Re-armed is $2.49 as well. You should all get that too.

I enjoyed it when it came out and thought it was slightly underrated. IIRC it was not well received but I think that was mostly due to it being a departure from its roots. And besides it's at a price I can afford!. But I will still wait for the final day of sales to see if Giana Sisters maybe gets a bigger discount.

Anyone think we'll see Bioshock Infinite on sale again? Missed it initially and I really wanna pick it up :-(

I'd say if you missed it the first 7 times, you'll still be able to pick it up on one of the last 4 chances.

So, Bionic Commando 2009 is $2.49

I feel like I'm the only person who really liked this game - but goddamn I sure did. It's short, probably 5-6 hours long, but it's a damn fun game and the bionic arm works really well in a 3D environment.

I'll pimp this game till the day I die. Because no one else will.

Also, Bionic Commando Re-armed is $2.49 as well. You should all get that too.

How big is the download? I'd probably give it a go for that price...but don't know if I'd be bothered with a big download.

Well, I'm headed to bed. RustyO, if you read this and you still want that copy of Monaco, please reply to my PM or add me on Steam...let's say, within the next twelve hours. If you've gotten cold feet that's fine, but someone else is interested in the game.

...Remind me never to host one of these again. What a clusterfuck, ha ha ha.

I've found the best way to approach 4-packs is to just expect to have 3 extra of the games for at least 24 hours. It's not so bad. I've had buddies(from Gaf) that I'll gift a game and then won't be payed for 12 hours or so. People get busy in real life and sometimes things pop up. Also, be sure to not buy a game if it'll put you out financially.

I can say as far as Honorless is concerned though, I paypalled her $4.50 and she sent me the game 30 seconds later, if anyone is having cold feet with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom