• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Paradox just announced that trading cards have been produced for the following, and will be live soon:

Cities in Motion 2
Dungeonland
Europa Universalis III
Hearts of Iron III
Impire
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
Leviathan: Warships
March of the Eagles
Sengoku
Warlock
Victoria II

Half off Leviathan: Warships, please, Paradox.

oipic

I regret hesitating on System Shock 2, it'll be mine on the repeat.

I put 2.5 hours into it last night, and loved every minute of it.

Admittedly, that may have been influenced by the nostalgia aspect initially, but it still feels like a great game, even today, to me.

PaulLFC

I missed the Skyrim DLC when it appeared as one of the first Flash Sales thanks to the payment info bug. :(
I missed Euro Truck 2 because of this bug :(

I know it'll be back again as a daily (at least it better had be) but if Valve are going to do these limited time flash sales, the very least they could do is make sure their payment system is functional.

Acccent

Dear Esther is a better game than most of what's been discounted since the start of the sale. It doesn't matter that it doesn't neatly fit into your definition of a game, or doesn't fulfil your expectations of something you bought on Steam; people play it, and enjoy the experience, and it can definitely be very impactful (specifically because of its interactive nature).

Copons

GODDAMN

First booster pack ever, Psychonauts. Two doubles out of three.
If I had sold the booster I would have earned ~50c, instead the two cards I already owned are selling at less than 10c.
WTF is going on in the market? :(

derExperte

Dear Esther is a better game than most of what's been discounted since the start of the sale. It doesn't matter that it doesn't neatly fit into your definition of a game, or doesn't fulfil your expectations of something you bought on Steam; people play it, and enjoy the experience, and it can definitely be very impactful (specifically because of its interactive nature).

Agreed. But then I like Proteus too where you don't even get a story so maybe I'm weird.

Heh, Penny Arcade booster.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Actually if you're waiting for Rogue Legacy to go on sale it's already 20% off through the humble store http://www.roguelegacy.com/ and you get not only the Steam key but also a DRM free version.

Arthea

It is not a game but you may like it anyways.

I'm not sure how to take that. I see people saying that Journey is not a game, when it's as game as it gets, IMO. Then again I think that to the Moon is almost not enough of a game. Not sure where Esther stands in this equation.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
We are more or less at the halfway point of the Summer Sale now. My remaining budget is now less than half what it used to be. This is troubling.

I've spent more on this Steam sale than I have in any of the past few sales:

Tomb Raider, $12.49
Fallout: New Vegas - Ultimate Edition, $4.99
Dishonored + The Knife of Dunwall + Dunwall City Trials, $15.27

$32.75 thus far. Finally, games I want to play!

marrec

Banned

I don't hate it because it doesn't fit my description of a game, I hate it because the writing is awful and makes me want to find the 15 year old kid who wrote it and give them a stern talking to.

You can't enjoy the experience when the entire reason for the game (the narrative) is comparable to a gigantic pile of elephant shit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
YOU GUYS!

Is there any chance for Sleepy dawgs DLC will go below 50%. If not which story DLC's are worth it?

They didn't when it was a daily, so that's as low as they go. The only DLC's worth getting are Nightmare in Northpoint, The Zodiac Tournament and Year of the Snake. The rest are nonsense.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
I'm not sure how to take that. I see people saying that Journey is not a game, when it's as game as it gets, IMO. Then again I think that to the Moon is almost not enough of a game. Not sure where Esther stands in this equation.

You walk around in various mostly-linear environments. Along the way the narrator tells a story.

If that's your thing, get it, if it isn't, don't.

Meh. The "videogames as art" crowd on here lap up that shit though. Conveniently forgetting that the entire arc is completely nonsensical, poorly executed and written with the skill and grace of a angst ridden teenager who got dumped for the first time.

If "War Z" can get changed to "Infestation: Survivor Stories" then I move that "Dear Esther" gets changed to "Shit Esther". Problem solved!

:O Man, love me some honest opinion in the A.M.

chugen

oh shit free good games!

Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

McPixel -- MB-52C5A7F0B9655BF4 - Taken by Clever Pun
Secret of the Magic Crystals -- MB-B7024CE970CDE32C - Taken by liezryou
World of Goo -- MB-9268EC871C8F720D - Taken by masterkajo

Ledsen

Meh. The "videogames as art" crowd on here lap up that shit though. Conveniently forgetting that the entire arc is completely nonsensical, poorly executed and written with the skill and grace of a angst ridden teenager who got dumped for the first time.

If "War Z" can get changed to "Infestation: Survivor Stories" then I move that "Dear Esther" gets changed to "Shit Esther". Problem solved!

Yeah, the writing in Dear Esther is horrendous. Still, a very pretty game and worth it as a virtual sightseeing tour.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Don't let anyone try to convince anybody in this thread that Dear Esther is somehow excusable as a Video Game because of a well written story. That is patently false.

I'm trusting you kurtrussell, I can't be here all the time and we need to save future fellow GAFers from that awful mess.
Isn't it similar to To the Moon? I loved that one.

Overdoziz

Banned
I liked Dear Esther for what it was, but I wouldn't buy it on its own. I got it with a bundle of other games I liked so that's fine for me.

Acccent

I don't hate it because it doesn't fit my description of a game, I hate it because the writing is awful and makes me want to find the 15 year old kid who wrote it and give them a stern talking to.

You can't enjoy the experience when the entire reason for the game (the narrative) is comparable to a gigantic pile of elephant shit.

Not enjoying the narrative is fine, and I guess yeah that would considerably lessen the probability of enjoying the game as a whole; but that doesn't mean it's not a game and that people are doomed to have the same opinion. I loved the writing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
GODDAMN

First booster pack ever, Psychonauts. Two doubles out of three.
If I had sold the booster I would have earned ~50c, instead the two cards I already owned are selling at less than 10c.
WTF is going on in the market? :(

The market was bound to crash as it's Steam's first big sale of the year, and I'm glad it did (cheap badges). Also, although you're probably aware of this, boosters are worth more unopened as there's a chance of a foil.

zychi

Banned
ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fallout New Vegas Ultimate -- MB-0B1EEC1F7350F934 - Taken by Onionkid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom