• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

They didn't when it was a daily, so that's as low as they go. The only DLC's worth getting are Nightmare in Northpoint, The Zodiac Tournament and Year of the Snake. The rest are nonsense.

i9GUD4BMb6Rxf.jpg

iqTWhl3mhIL11.jpg

They're fantastic nonsense.
iF9DrGEjFrVFa.png

I'm curious about the depth of Dust. I've watched some gameplay videos and the combat definitely looks like it has potential. They call it an action RPG. How are the systems?

Dear Esther is a better game than most of what's been discounted since the start of the sale. It doesn't matter that it doesn't neatly fit into your definition of a game, or doesn't fulfil your expectations of something you bought on Steam; people play it, and enjoy the experience, and it can definitely be very impactful (specifically because of its interactive nature).

1) License Unreal Engine
2) Create a series of generic FPS environments
3) Randomly write 50 pieces of non-connected dialogue
4) Throw dialogue into game at random points
5) Allow player to derive meaning from random dialogue snippets, thus exonerating you from any creative effort whatsoever
6) ????
7) Art-GAF's GOTY

marrec

Banned
Isn't it similar to To the Moon? I loved that one.

To the Moon is different. Not only do you experience it in a different way, but the writing is phenomenal in To the Moon. It didn't make me cry (like some people) but I definitely enjoyed my experience in it.

Whereas with Dear Esther, I could not even bring myself to finish it. I really tried, I pushed and pushed but eventually the waves of nausea finally won out and I had to stop lest I ruin my G15 keyboard.

Organ trail was worth the £1 sale price I think since I made a run to the end that ended in failure at the last step. But not sure it has much replay value. It ain't FTL.

Salaadin

Do you have to vote in the actual steam app to get cards? I voted twice from my phone and I should have a new card now but it doesnt look like I do. Nothing new in inventory and no messages about it :(

Arthea

To the Moon is different. Not only do you experience it in a different way, but the writing is phenomenal in To the Moon. It didn't make me cry (like some people) but I definitely enjoyed my experience in it.

Whereas with Dear Esther, I could not even bring myself to finish it. I really tried, I pushed and pushed but eventually the waves of nausea finally won out and I had to stop lest I ruin my G15 keyboard.

I must be only one that didn't like to the Moon story, it seems. Not that I hate it, it just didn't live up to hype.

Anustart

Do you have to vote in the actual steam app to get cards? I voted twice from my phone and I should have a new card now but it doesnt look like I do. Nothing new in inventory and no messages about it :(

I've never voted from the app, always from browser and got every card for it.

marrec

Banned
Not enjoying the narrative is fine, and I guess yeah that would considerably lessen the probability of enjoying the game as a whole; but that doesn't mean it's not a game and that people are doomed to have the same opinion. I loved the writing.

Games are games are games. I take the Wittgenstein approach to any definition of something so nebulous as 'Games'. There is a direct line connecting 'Dear Esther' to 'Call of Duty' and there are certainly elements of 'play' (or 'experience', as some people put it) to Dear Esther. Lets not get hung up on whether it's a game or not.

Prophane33

Paradox just announced that trading cards have been produced for the following, and will be live soon:

Cities in Motion 2
Dungeonland
Europa Universalis III
Hearts of Iron III
Impire
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
Leviathan: Warships
March of the Eagles
Sengoku
Warlock
Victoria II

YES! YES! ALL OVER MY FACE!!!! Actually going to have to craft a badge for March of the Eagles and Sengoku....sorry, I just can't sell those cards.

Acccent

1) License Unreal Engine
5) Allow player to derive meaning from random dialogue snippets, thus exonerating you from any creative effort whatsoever
6) ????
7) Art-GAF's GOTY

So what? The effort put into making something isn't proportional to its value.

HoosTrax

Nope, it should work fine from any device. I do it from my browser or my tablet more often than not.

Acccent

Games are games are games. I take the Wittgenstein approach to any definition of something so nebulous as 'Games'. There is a direct line connecting 'Dear Esther' to 'Call of Duty' and there are certainly elements of 'play' (or 'experience', as some people put it) to Dear Esther. Lets not get hung up on whether it's a game or not.

Yeah, I agree with that, that's why I replied in the first place :)

Copons

The market was bound to crash as it's Steam's first big sale of the year, and I'm glad it did (cheap badges). Also, although you're probably aware of this, boosters are worth more unopened as there's a chance of a foil.

Of course I knew...

I was just disappointed that I got two doubles (in a set I already got 2 doubles out of the automatic drops), and worse of all, they aren't gonna sell at a morally right amount of cash. :D

Anyway, I'm also in doubt if selling double summer cards, as I honestly don't think market prices for those will rise again after the sales.

Maybe someone is interested in trading Torchlight II or Tomb Raider cards?
I need Chivalry, Dead Island, Kerbal and Prison Architect!

I disagree with you here.

The "generic FPS enviroments" seemed far more natural than those you can see in CoD, MoH or BF3.

The leveldesign and artstyle felt more like a real island, than all these AAA-Games can offer. I am sure if you let someone play Farcry 3 and Dear Esther and then ask them, which seemed more believable as far as realistis portraition goes, they would almost all say Dear Esther.

oipic

The single vote I made via the app didn't register correctly as a 'vote', for what it's worth - all from the website have been fine.

It has irked me each time I've voted since! <- (OCD?)

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
1) License Unreal Engine
6) ????
7) Art-GAF's GOTY

You are just so unbelievably wrong.

It's Source, not Unreal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
pVawaNg.png

So that's awesome, thanks steam.

The foil drop rate on Summer Sale cards seems to be virtually zero. I've used up my Wallet funds, so I'm not going to be doing any more purchasing through Steam directly, and all up -- including Community's Choice votes -- I've earned almost 50 cards, but they've all been regulars.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
God, OT3 already?
I can't keep up :(

i9GUD4BMb6Rxf.jpg

iqTWhl3mhIL11.jpg

They're fantastic nonsense.
iF9DrGEjFrVFa.png
Agreed, I personally think the batmobile is excellent and is *very* fun to use.

EDIT: I have earned exactly ONE foil from the sale, the Tomb Raider one. so the rate is not 0, but it is very close.

Fireblend

Banned
Is there any point to creating the summer badge instead of waiting to see if the cards will be worth anything some time in the future when they won't be created anymore?

Of course I knew...

I was just disappointed that I got two doubles (in a set I already got 2 doubles out of the automatic drops), and worse of all, they aren't gonna sell at a morally right amount of cash. :D

Anyway, I'm also in doubt if selling double summer cards, as I honestly don't think market prices for those will rise again after the sales.

Maybe someone is interested in trading Torchlight II or Tomb Raider cards?
I need Chivalry, Dead Island, Kerbal and Prison Architect!

Interested in Torchlight, have a PA card.

Tenrius

1) License Unreal Engine
6) ????
7) Art-GAF's GOTY

You're wrong. The dialogue is not random and you're not supposed to "derive meaning". All of the pieces form a coherent (and rather simple) story, you just have to connect the dots. I actually thought this was the best thing about Dear Esther — plotwise it's essentially nothing more than a riddle you have to solve. I'm not talking about artistic merits or whatever any other ephemeral things, by the way — it's just a puzzle with a pleasantly peculiar writing style, great visuals and sound. And "generic FPS environments"? Have you actually seen the game?

Prophane33

I have an extra kerbal I can trade for a reus, prison architect, Skrim or Torchlight. It's my first dupe of the summer sale cards.

marrec

Banned
You're wrong. The dialogue is not random and you're not supposed to "derive meaning". All of the pieces form a coherent (and rather simple) story, you just have to connect the dots. I actually thought this was the best thing about Dear Esther — plotwise it's essentially nothing more than a riddle you have to solve. I'm not talking about artistic merits or whatever any other ephemeral things, by the way — it's just a puzzle with a pleasantly peculiar writing style, great visuals and sound. And "generic FPS environments"? Have you actually seen the game?

I would agree that the environments are rather generic. I feel like the game tried to make you feel lonely but instead ended up just feeling empty. There's a big difference.

Also, I think kurt was being hyperbolic when he said the writing was random. Obviously the story snippets are meant to connect, but the writing in those snippets is so obviously obfuscated that it ruins the entire mystery of collecting them. There's zero subtlety to what the author was trying to do.

So what? The effort put into making something isn't proportional to its value.

In that case, you may like this new game I'm working on.

Essentially it consists of a bunch of still shots of my scrotum, anus and perineum that display randomly. All throughout, you'll hear fragments of several overarching unconnected stories that were shamelessly stolen lovingly inspired by http://www.deepundergoundpoetry.com that bear absolutely no relation to the imagery.

I'm crossing my fingers you derive enough meaning from it to send me to number 1 in the next Steam sale. Regardless, I'm fairly confident of success because the moment someone pops onto GAF to complain about it, a bunch of GAFfers will jump on to explain to him that he "doesn't understand the experience".

Dear Esther has great environmental design. Can't wait to see what Robert Briscoe's been up to.

also curious how tcr's going to tackle Amnesia. And then there's Everbody's Gone to the Rapture.

Dmax3901

As winter closed in I was driven, by desperation, to attack some penguins. Little did I realise that these penguins could slide along their bellies at terrifying speed and the whole fucking pack was on me within seconds. I died cold, hungry and alone.

Don't Starve is cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom