• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copons

As winter closed in I was driven, by desperation, to attack some penguins. Little did I realise that these penguins could slide along their bellies at terrifying speed and the whole fucking pack was on me within seconds. I died cold, hungry and alone.

Don't Starve is cool.

This also seems a quote from Dear Esther.

This steam sale is making me really consider getting a gaming pc. I have a huge library and nothing to play it on...

still love my macbook pro tho

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Is there any point to creating the summer badge instead of waiting to see if the cards will be worth anything some time in the future when they won't be created anymore?

No, not even a giveaway like previous years.
If anyone was still sceptical over the decline in sales over the years: Q.E.D.

masterkajo

! I need to start using BPM. I play from a couch on a TV but never really saw much use to it as a launcher.

It's awesome just some people wouldn't put launchers in front of their games that are not supported by controller. So you have to stand up go back to your PC (in another room) just to click "start". Urgh.

Terra

Just checked my account, and sadly can´t participate in the Steam Sale anymore =(. Going on a roadtrip next week, and I really need that money for the ride.

It was good as long as it lasted...and at least I got Torchlight 2 and The Last Remnant.

Will go for Silent Hill - Homecoming, Grimrock and Dishonored in the winter seal.

DukeBobby

Dear Esther is one of those games that you finish, stroke your chin and think about briefly, but then forget ever existed.

The caves sure looked nice, though.

Under the ocean seems pretty interesting. Getting strong "Don't starve" vibes only in a 2D space.

If anything it looks like it might end up with more depth but it is nowhere near that point of polish yet. For example the first thing I hit had text overlapping itself.

For $2.50? Yeah why not, but I think it is a "buy and hope it is finished and rocks" kind of game.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The market has hit rock bottom and doesn't look to be improving anytime soon. Whether you wait or sell them now, you won't make much money.

With the prices on cards dropping so low and market bottoming out to the point of it not being worth selling them I feel like Valve should create a "I have this, I want this" system to get trading going properly, but seeing as they make at least a cent on every card sold there's no reason for them to encourage actual trading of cards.

Berto

More annoying than people complaining about artsy games are people who complain about people who complain about artsy games.
leonardo-dicaprio-inception-movie-meme-face2.jpg

Arthea

Just checked my account, and sadly can´t participate in the Steam Sale anymore =(. Going on a roadtrip next week, and I really need that money for the ride.

It was good as long as it lasted...and at least I got Torchlight 2 and The Last Remnant.
You are a good person and with great taste.

Acccent

In that case, you may like this new game I'm working on.

Essentially it consists of a bunch of still shots of my scrotum, anus and perineum that display randomly. All throughout, you'll hear fragments of several overarching unconnected stories that were shamelessly stolen lovingly inspired by http://www.deepundergoundpoetry.com that bear absolutely no relation to the imagery.

I'm crossing my fingers you derive enough meaning from it to send me to number 1 in the next Steam sale. Regardless, I'm fairly confident of success because the moment someone pops onto GAF to complain about it, a bunch of GAFfers will jump on to explain to him that he "doesn't understand the experience".

bb5-stare-sad.gif

marrec

Banned

Nooo! We've lost another one!

Enjoy your trip

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I'm not sure how to take that. I see people saying that Journey is not a game, when it's as game as it gets, IMO. Then again I think that to the Moon is almost not enough of a game. Not sure where Esther stands in this equation.

I haven't played Journey or to the Moon so I can't compare them but Dear Esther is not a game at all per se, there are no puzzles, no interactions, no nothing, just a narrator and you walk. It is like a virtual hiking with your headphones. And I'm not saying it's bad but it is definitely not a game.

Tenrius

I would agree that the environments are rather generic. I feel like the game tried to make you feel lonely but instead ended up just feeling empty. There's a big difference.

Also, I think kurt was being hyperbolic when he said the writing was random. Obviously the story snippets are meant to connect, but the writing in those snippets is so obviously obfuscated that it ruins the entire mystery of collecting them. There's zero subtlety to what the author was trying to do.

I personally thought that the environments were really pretty, so they're not generic in that regard. As far as actual level design goes — I don't know how it could be good or bad as they're essentially not video game levels.

I also actually felt that the writing being "obfuscated" was an essential part of the figuring out the details of the story metagame. It adds to the experience, not the other way around. What sort of subtlety would you prefer instead?

Whereas with Dear Esther, I could not even bring myself to finish it. I really tried, I pushed and pushed but eventually the waves of nausea finally won out and I had to stop lest I ruin my G15 keyboard.

Oh, you didn't even finish it? It's actually 40 minutes long, maybe shorter (no hyperbole, it took me exactly 40 minutes). I guess you missed most of the pretty parts (like caves and the shore in the ending), too, as well as the actual ending (which is the best part of the game).

Apdiddy

My tally so far:

Age of Empires II HD (Amazon.com price match + $5 from buying AOE III)
Antichamber
Don't Starve
Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition (flash deal for $3)
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
Ys I & II Chronicles (flash deal for $5)
Toki Tori 2+ (with 10% off coupon)
Tomb Raider Collection (best deal yet IMO)
Penny Arcade 4 (flash deal for $2.50)
System Shock 2 (flash deal for $2.50)
StarDrive
Reus
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Dishonored + DLC
Hitman Absolution (got gifted this, not sure that gift is the operative word, at least I didn't have to buy it)

So in total: ~$100

I think I'm set for the rest of the sale. Unless Gunpoint, Rogue Legacy & Monaco go on sale or I get them as gifts, there's nothing else I really want.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It's awesome just some people wouldn't put launchers in front of their games that are not supported by controller. So you have to stand up go back to your PC (in another room) just to click "start". Urgh.
I end up not using BPM because the rig is close to the TV I use for gaming and I have a small wireless keyboard and mouse to use from the couch, so it ends up being quicker to launch games and browse the store from vanilla Steam. Taking screenshots with the controller is great though, not sure how it never occurred to me that the feature existed. I've been playing with the keyboard close by just so I can press F12 when needed. :lol

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
To the Moon is different. Not only do you experience it in a different way, but the writing is phenomenal in To the Moon. It didn't make me cry (like some people) but I definitely enjoyed my experience in it.

Whereas with Dear Esther, I could not even bring myself to finish it. I really tried, I pushed and pushed but eventually the waves of nausea finally won out and I had to stop lest I ruin my G15 keyboard.
Thanks for the explanation. I may try it anyway, since I got it on a Humble Bundle, but I'm afraid I may end up wasting my time.

Oh well, it's not like my time is valuable or anything, so it won't matter in the end.

liezryou

My tally so far:

Age of Empires II HD (Amazon.com price match + $5 from buying AOE III)
Antichamber
Don't Starve
Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition (flash deal for $3)
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
Ys I & II Chronicles (flash deal for $5)
Toki Tori 2+ (with 10% off coupon)
Tomb Raider Collection (best deal yet IMO)
Penny Arcade 4 (flash deal for $2.50)
System Shock 2 (flash deal for $2.50)
StarDrive
Reus
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Dishonored + DLC
Hitman Absolution (got gifted this, not sure that gift is the operative word, at least I didn't have to buy it)

So in total: ~$100

I think I'm set for the rest of the sale. Unless Gunpoint, Rogue Legacy & Monaco go on sale or I get them as gifts, there's nothing else I really want.

I'm fairly certain gunpoint and monaco are guaranteed to be flash sales or daily sales. Not sure about rogue legacy.

H3xum

Is Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 better than Rollercoaster Tycoon 2?

No

Guess I could elaborate since it's mostly just opinion based.

I don't like the 3D, it takes a lot of the feel out of the game for me. I liked the smaller micro based building, felt more like a god game than anything, now with the 3D you lose that

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Here's my list so far:

Torchlight II
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
System Shock 2
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Surgeon Simulator

And I was lucky enough to be gifted these via Modbot:
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3

Not much so far, have blown through my card money so am holding out for unmissable deals. Have bought most of the recent big releases on console so don't need those. Might pick up some more smaller indie titles.

Divius

'Damage':
Deus-Ex: HR
Chivalry
Dark Souls

Gifts:
Just Cause 2
The Maw

And the only thing I really want is Mark of the Ninja.

edit: both DXHR + DS came from card money.

marrec

Banned
Oh, you didn't even finish it? It's actually 40 minutes long, maybe shorter (no hyperbole, it took me exactly 40 minutes). I guess you missed most of the pretty parts (like caves and the shore in the ending), too, as well as the actual ending (which is the best part of the game).

I saw the caves and they were surprisingly well designed compared to the rest of the island.

Thanks for the explanation. I may try it anyway, since I got it on a Humble Bundle, but I'm afraid I may end up wasting my time.

Oh well, it's not like my time is valuable or anything, so it won't matter in the end.

It's not very long at all, so if you do own it then it may be worth playing just to form your own opinion on this (somehow) controversial game.

Bernbaum

Waiting for the complete Star Wars pack to go on sale.

It's mostly trash, but Republic Commando was fun on XBOX. Would be nice to have the KOTOR games in Steam too.

33% just don't cut it.

MechaX

Picked up GalCiv 2. It's like Steam knew exactly what I was thinking when I picked up Sins of a Solar Empire yesterday.

No

Guess I could elaborate since it's mostly just opinion based.

I don't like the 3D, it takes a lot of the feel out of the game for me. I liked the smaller micro based building, felt more like a god game than anything, now with the 3D you lose that

I agree with this. It isn't bad... But I'd rather play theme park for a 3d game. RCT2 was something quite different in focus and depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom