• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

I'm very much against labelling games "artsy" in general, by the way. It's like a stigma, which leads people to having very specific expectations and even forming opinions about the game before ever actually playing it. In the end, some people will skip such a game altogether (because they don't like "artsy" games), some will be disappointed (because they expect one game and get another) and other will miss the point of the game (because they think they're supposed to experience it in a non-conventional "artsy" way and it might not be true). True for any other label, of course, the most notable probably being the common misconception that * Souls games are "ridiculously hard and unfair".

mother of god these threads move too fast
and are generally more off-topic than the OG steam thread

Shit they are adding a lot of cards. Been remote for 10 days, lots of idling to do. Almost spent all my card money so far.

Reallly appreciate coming back from my honeymoon to a gift of System Shock 2. SteamGAF is too kind.

Good morning Gaf

ModBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot recently [since the start of beta testing for ModBot], you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

English Country Tune -- MB-C47F1267EDD2C2AB

I was sold on UTO on finding a stick, attaching something sharp to it and going fishing.

It is full of stuff like that.

When you start the game? You have a limp that needs splinting. You can get wounded and wounds will fester if not treated. Because it is 2d you can build a shelter out of palms you cut down.

And so on.

Not that I think it is ready to play just yet, but the update history suggests activity and Don't starve has warmed me to the whole pre-release process.

Or it is $2.50 and +1 game account total and I had card money.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Waiting for the complete Star Wars pack to go on sale.

It's mostly trash, but Republic Commando was fun on XBOX. Would be nice to have the KOTOR games in Steam too.

33% just don't cut it.
Battlefront 2, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight (haven't played much of Mysteries of the Sith), Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy and Force Unleashed (which isn't a bad game), and you call the pack "mostly trash"? That's not cool man, that's not cool at all.

I'm very much against labelling games "artsy" in general, by the way. It's like a stigma, which leads people to having very specific expectations and even forming opinions about the game before ever actually playing it. In the end, some people will skip such a game altogether (because they don't like "artsy" games), some will be disappointed (because they expect one game and get another) and other will miss the point of the game (because they think they're supposed to experience it in a non-conventional "artsy" way and it might not be true). True for any other label, of course, the most notable probably being the common misconception that * Souls games are "ridiculously hard and unfair".
So you don't agree with the notion that Dear Esther is the Dark Souls of artsy games?

Paradox just announced that trading cards have been produced for the following, and will be live soon:

Cities in Motion 2
Dungeonland
Europa Universalis III
Hearts of Iron III
Impire
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
Leviathan: Warships
March of the Eagles
Sengoku
Warlock
Victoria II

this reminds i have europa but never got around to playing it, this might be the push i finally need

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
mother of god these threads move too fast
and are generally more off-topic than the OG steam thread

Shit they are adding a lot of cards. Been remote for 10 days, lots of idling to do. Almost spent all my card money so far.

Reallly appreciate coming back from my honeymoon to a gift of System Shock 2. SteamGAF is too kind.
Hope you had a great time man :)

And this thread was the most on-topic of all the sale ones, so far. Nice talk about the F.E.A.R. games last night, and Half-Life's multiplayer.

I'm not sure if the recent crop of games has been really good, or this sale has been really good. Either way, it's a test for my wills!

so far I'm 23 dollars in, and that's probably my max

Dishonered
Penny Arcade 4
AntiChamber
Dust an Elysian Tale

H3xum

Feel free to distribute your Steam games among us, if you want to achieve true equality.

Hahahahaha. I was thinking it but didn't want to say it and get lambasted. Just remember when you're being crucified, you made my day a little brighter

DaBoss

I'm not sure what to vote lol. I don't think I would buy Skyrim or Tomb Raider, but I already bought Bioshock Infinite.

We need someone come here and start some sort of drama then this thread will mone fast again. :D

I like the pace this thread is moving, I can actually keep up with it.

Don't know what time it is now, but after the 7pm update Australian time (5 hours ago) things really die off and settle down.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Battlefront 2, Dark Forces, Jedi Knight (haven't played much of Mysteries of the Sith), Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy and Force Unleashed (which isn't a bad game), and you call the pack "mostly trash"? That's not cool man, that's not cool at all.
That does remind me that I want FU 1 and 2 for cheap. Hopefully we get a Star Wars daily or something, so those terrible people that don't have the Jedi Knight collection finally get it.

Probably taking time to be taken because of this

- If you won a game from ModBot recently [since the start of beta testing for ModBot], you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Damnit!
Next time I will leave that rule out, was hoping to give a game to a gaffer that hasnt won anything yet.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Dear Esther; I don't think it's really all that hard to understand. Relax, don't immediately say "it must be pretentious if I didn't get it right away". Don't say "I'm smart and so the emperor must have no clothes". Try to understand. And don't think of it as a story with a neat beginning, middle, and end--think of it as a sculpture or art installation or painting or something; it's not about narrative, it's about visual and audio form, themes expressed (and then contradicted), how you feel about each individual part

I previously wrote this post on the experience in response to someone who claimed "they didn't get anything out of Dear Esther":
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46678899&postcount=106

The main theme behind Dear Esther is "the collapse of meaning/symbols". The audio is pseudo-random, and contradictory. Everything you hear could be true, false, both at the same time, or neither. Try to write down what you think happened based on the text/audio that you got, and see if it makes sense. By the way, was that a ghost you saw out of the corner of your eye? *walks closer* Oh, I guess not. I could swear it was, though... hmm... It's about ambiguity and contradiction and fantasy and reality. Where is the island? Where does it feel like it is to you? When is the island? What century? Who do you play as? Is the player character the narrator or someone else? Who is he writing to, and who is she to him? What happens at the very end?

Besides that, there are recurring themes
- Kidney stones
- Drunk driving
- Religious faith and evangelism
- Circuits
- Seagulls
- An injury to your leg
- (Biblical) Paul
- Paper boats

And then there's the big one--how do you feel about what you heard? Presumably you feel uncomfortable and a little sad, lonely, confused...

This is the stuff that should be rattling around your head if you got the most out of the experience.

Prophane33

this reminds i have europa but never got around to playing it, this might be the push i finally need

You need to. Paradox is my favorite PC publisher and EU is their flagship game (though Crusader Kings 2 is their current most popular). EU4 comes out this year and is going to be absolutely epic. I recommend playing March of the Eagles as a way to get into "Grand Strategy" games.However, if you need some turorials or somesuch for EU you can check some out here http://www.paradoxian.org/ and/or ask the wonderful people at the Paradox Plaza forums.

louiedog

I can't believe you don't own Psychonauts. Fix that.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Psychonauts -- MB-12056A14292309D8 - Taken by Deadbeat

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That does remind me that I want FU 1 and 2 for cheap. Hopefully we get a Star Wars daily or something, so those terrible people that don't have the Jedi Knight collection finally get it.
I don't have the Jedi Knights on Steam, I hope that doesn't make me a terrible person :(

I want the whole franchise pack, if I can get it for $15 or less that would be sweeeeet.

Hahahahaha. I was thinking it but didn't want to say it and get lambasted. Just remember when you're being crucified, you made my day a little brighter
Just a little harmless joke :)

or is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom