• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronomac

This steam sale is making me really consider getting a gaming pc. I have a huge library and nothing to play it on...

still love my macbook pro tho

Install Windows 7 on it with Boot Camp. It's what I did and I can play a ton of stuff with my 3 year old machine. In fact, games that have versions on both run better, typically, in Windows for me than they do in Mac OS X.

Obviously I can't play stuff like The Witcher or Skyrim but I have a nice collection of older games and Indie stuff.

Protein

Banned
How long/good is Dust? I'm teetering on the fence right now. Since 30% goes to Gabe/Steam then you're feeding Gaben around $2.25 if you convince me.

shaowebb

After all the money I was gifted to my Steam Account at X-mas there honestly isn't a whole lot I dont already own that I'm interested in lol.

If Magic 2013 complete bundle goes up I'll bite though. Thats every single card pack. And if I'm going for cards I may as well hope for Spectromancer to go on the sale too. Gyromancer is the Popcap/square Puzzle Quest knockoff that I had this confused for once and its about $2.50 so for those interested its a good thing to nab as well.

Still I dont have much I'm after here...any suggestions for a guy looking for.

• Card games (I like Culdcept a lot and Magic is fine but I like all in general)
  • Smash bros style ring out games
  • Fighting games
  • Metroidvanias
  • Beat em ups

Oooh, controversial opinions time?

Ok, I didn't think much of the first Portal and thought it was vastly inferior to the sequel.

Pff you have to spice up that opinion a little for it to be controversial.

HL2 sucks because there aren't any cutscenes and no customizable weapons. There isn't a compass that shows where you're going either and the puzzles are hard. I just want to shoot stuff

DukeBobby

Pff you have to spice up that opinion a little for it to be controversial.

HL2 sucks because there aren't any cutscenes and no customizable weapons. There isn't a compass that shows where you're going either and the puzzles are hard. I just want to shoot stuff

Bastion sucks, and the only good thing about it is the music and narration.

Prophane33

After all the money I was gifted to my Steam Account at X-mas there honestly isn't a whole lot I dont already own that I'm interested in lol.

If Magic 2013 complete bundle goes up I'll bite though. Thats every single card pack. And if I'm going for cards I may as well hope for Spectromancer to go on the sale too. Gyromancer is the Popcap/square Puzzle Quest knockoff that I had this confused for once and its about $2.50 so for those interested its a good thing to nab as well.

Still I dont have much I'm after here...any suggestions for a guy looking for.

• Card games (I like Culdcept a lot and Magic is fine but I like all in general)
  • Smash bros style ring out games
  • Fighting games
    [*]Metroidvanias
  • Beat em ups

While not a strict Metroidvania (okay it barely is) I recommend checking out Super House of Dead Ninjas if you liked 8 bit games like Castlevania and/or Metroid and you like Rogue likes (and of course ninjas!).

How long/good is Dust? I'm teetering on the fence right now. Since 30% goes to Gabe/Steam then you're feeding Gaben around $2.25 if you convince me.

I think it's around 12 hours. In my playthrough I'm 18 hours into the game and in the last chapter, but I'm a slow player. :)

Lain

Grabbed Under The Ocean because of the posts on the last page of the thread, which made me look on the steam store and it seemed kind of interesting. Plus for 1.24€ it was cheap enough.

Grabbed La-Mulana as well, which I've played a bit. It's fun but the jumping from a standstill position is proving a bit tricky for me. Pretty charming game though.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I accidentally clicked "submit" on a page when it had a birthday prompt, and the prompt was at jan 1, 2013. Now I can't buy or even look at the store page for any m rated games! How do I fix this???

Usually it shows my real birthday so I just click through really quick. This time it reset because I moved steam to a different harddrive.

Slyjss

Didn't GOG have something similar to this? can't recall for sure.

When you buy a pack of games, you don't pay the games you already own. If buying all the games from a a pack grants a special bonus (80% instead of 60 % if you pick only selected games, for example) you maintain that bonus if you buy all the games you don't own.

Bastion sucks, and the only good thing about it is the music and narration.

CS is boring. Where are my unlocks, perks and killstreaks?

The Walking Dead is also a really bad game. What's with this weird side view? I can't even walk freely in first person and shoot zombies? What the hell man.

Prophane33

oh god so many hours before the sale.... and i have nothing to idle

Ditto. Still it wasn't a bad way to make $18 when you're temporarily unemployed and wanting to participate in the Steam sale. Paradox is going to be adding cards to most of their games, and I own most of their games so I know there is much more fun to be had. Though, I refuse to sell my March of the Eagles cards (when I get them).

You need to. Paradox is my favorite PC publisher.

I love it that Paradox seem to make the kind of games that won't typically be AAA releases. I'm a little soured with their love of DLC though. Cities in Motion was really bad for this - a bunch of stuff that should really have been in core game trickled out, more than doubling the cost.

Hope you had a great time man :)

And this thread was the most on-topic of all the sale ones, so far. Nice talk about the F.E.A.R. games last night, and Half-Life's multiplayer.

it was a really awesome 10 days for us, great time was had by all. Hard to be back to work.

Guess i missed the actual game talk. Came into this thread and to see an awkward moment between JaseC and Salsa. And witnessed a few pages of the Javadots implosion
dicktroll

Are we posting our hauls yet, or is that for OT7?

When you buy a pack of games, you don't pay the games you already own. If buying all the games from a a pack grants a special bonus (80% instead of 60 % if you pick only selected games, for example) you maintain that bonus if you buy all the games you don't own.

That's it. cool of them to have that.

Picked up a reasonable amount of games. I'm proud of myself for not spending more, but with an extra week there's plenty more time.

• Organ Trail: Director's Cut - $1.09
  • Hotline Miami - $2.49
  • FTL: Faster Than Light - $2.49
  • Surgeon Simulator - $3.36
  • Monaco - $9.99
  • Torchlight II - $4.99
  • Hitman Absolution Professional - $7.49
  • Dishonored & DLC - $16.50

Total: ~$48 (cents could be off above)

If Tomb Raider comes back down to $12.49, I'll grab it no questions asked. Now, just need to find a wireless 360 controller adapter for Windows and I'm golden. :D

Apdiddy

before I confuse anyone further, I was referring to this post.
what's the "+ $5 from buying AOE III" ?

Earlier this year, Amazon had a deal where if you bought Age of Empires III Complete Collection for $9, you would get a $5 credit towards Age of Empires II HD.

When Amazon was running a deal for AOE II HD for $10, I only had to pay $5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom