• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zia

I have $1 left in my Steam Wallet. ; (

Hanging onto it just in case Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines goes on sale.

Slyjss

Fellow Mac users, if you're wondering how to use Boot Camp to install Windows 7, fear not. Just check out Apple's official guide in .PDF form or TUAW's Illustrated Guide. You can use one or both together. I found it fairly painless and Windows 7 works perfectly on my laptop. And like I mentioned earlier, games that are supported on both platforms typically run better on Windows 7.

Thanks for the links! BTW, is Windows 8 worth it or better stick with 7? I heard some people say it gives a boost in performance, and it seems Blue 8.1 will solve most of the interface problems, but I'm not sure about the change yet.

smr00

Banned
Anyone use SteamMover? Is it worth using? I have a tiny SSD (for OS mainly) but I want to move the games I'm not currently playing on to another drive to save space and use my SSD for gaming.
I just copy the game folder from common and paste it into my external and when i am ready to put it back on my PC i just copy and paste it in the steam/apps/common folder and install.

Easy peasy.

khaaan

Is Secret of the Magic Crystals a mildly amusing game? I remember people jokingly gifted the game a lot a year or two ago and for $1.24 I'm thinking of checking it out.

After all the money I was gifted to my Steam Account at X-mas there honestly isn't a whole lot I dont already own that I'm interested in lol.

If Magic 2013 complete bundle goes up I'll bite though. Thats every single card pack. And if I'm going for cards I may as well hope for Spectromancer to go on the sale too. Gyromancer is the Popcap/square Puzzle Quest knockoff that I had this confused for once and its about $2.50 so for those interested its a good thing to nab as well.

Still I dont have much I'm after here...any suggestions for a guy looking for.

• Card games (I like Culdcept a lot and Magic is fine but I like all in general)
  • Smash bros style ring out games
  • Fighting games
  • Metroidvanias
  • Beat em ups

I'm assuming you already own Rogue Legacy. If not, download the demo now, fall in love with it, then buy the game.

liezryou

Any chance that mark of the ninja may go down to 75

irj2c2ZdMgbqu.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it does, but easily fixable in this case ;)

There is no way the franchise pack goes that low though.
$20 then? $30 is too much for some (rather) old games, despite their quality. I wouldn't want to be in that situation.

Avallon

I was gonna do a giveaway but I guess this is better :), I'll participate, don't know how though!

It will be through paypal -- again, this is all conjecture as the game has not gone on sale yet. If you want to gift it to me, though, I'd be one happy GAFfer :)

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm assuming you already own Rogue Legacy. If not, download the demo now, fall in love with it, then buy the game.

Rogue Legacy is more Roguelike than Metroidvania. You're unlocking new abilities and that though so it's got those elements, but there's not so much backtracking as there is repeatedly exploring randomly generated castles, there's no savepoints and it's permadeath. It's still great though.

BHK3

Banned
It will be through paypal -- again, this is all conjecture as the game has not gone on sale yet. If you want to gift it to me, though, I'd be one happy GAFfer :)

You mean like send you a bit of the money through paypal? Cause I can't send money :(

chronomac

Thanks for the links! BTW, is Windows 8 worth it or better stick with 7? I heard some people say it gives a boost in performance, and it seems Blue 8.1 will solve most of the interface problems, but I'm not sure about the change yet.

I'm sticking with 7 for now, until there's a consensus across the board to move to 8. 7 Pro, I believe, is the most popular OS used with Steam. Just stick with that for now. I haven't had any problem running games. I imagine you might with 8.

marrec

Banned
RE: Dear Esther; I don't think it's really all that hard to understand. Relax, don't immediately say "it must be pretentious if I didn't get it right away". Don't say "I'm smart and so the emperor must have no clothes". Try to understand. And don't think of it as a story with a neat beginning, middle, and end--think of it as a sculpture or art installation or painting or something; it's not about narrative, it's about visual and audio form, themes expressed (and then contradicted), how you feel about each individual part

I previously wrote this post on the experience in response to someone who claimed "they didn't get anything out of Dear Esther":
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46678899&postcount=106

This is the stuff that should be rattling around your head if you got the most out of the experience.

If that is what the creators of Dear Esther were trying to accomplish than I can't say they missed the mark. Obviously once we start digging into this kind of game it becomes much more subjectively enjoyable than normal because of the disconnected nature of the narrative and gameplay. As far as getting any visual feedback adding to the narrative, I must have missed that part because while the island certain felt connected to the story, it didn't feel like it was a part of how the creator wanted to TELL the story.

Maybe my expectations going into the game were wrong, but the only emotion it was able to evoke out of me was eyerolling. Unfortunately it's such a short experience that there was never enough time for it to change my mind before I stopped playing (without 'finishing'). Even with the revelations of it as an 'art installation' type of game, the writing was still completely unenjoyable for me. So without being able to build interest in me through either visual or audio, there was no incentive for me to try and dig any deeper meaning out of the game as I couldn't stop just being annoyed every time the narrator came back into the game for another round of ridiculous prose.

No, no. I have real people money too, I just don't want to spend it. If by some miracle it did go on sale, I'd expect $5 at the very least.

I remember when it was finally discounted for the first time in about 3 years to 13.60 during the 2011 summer sale and a bunch of us jumped on it. The first midweek madness after the sale it was $5

Never been so salty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom