• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophane33

Rogue Legacy is more Roguelike than Metroidvania. You're unlocking new abilities and that though so it's got those elements, but there's not so much backtracking as there is repeatedly exploring randomly generated castles, there's no savepoints and it's permadeath. It's still great though.

You had me at randomly generated castles. I've heard decent things about this game (on the Giant Bombcast, I believe) I'm just waiting for it to go down in price. It's like somebody made this game for me.

Village

There's always a chance.

Yay.

irj2c2ZdMgbqu.gif

Now that isn't nice.

smr00

Banned
Got the Deus Ex pack and decided to install Human Revolution because i haven't played it since i got it on PS3 when it launched and i was wondering if it's possible to remove the god awful gold tint.

Tomodachi

Is Monaco worth it if I don't play with people because I'm an antisocial fuck?

Stealth edit: goes without saying I'd wait for a daily or whatever.

Played some Surgeon Simulator, the first mission was surprisingly easy. Tried some of that Team Fortress 2 thing too but couldn't get it to finish. Worst part of the game is that my laptop gets super crazy and it's hard to press hot A, W,E,R keys :p

Divius

LolBot said:
Just quote this message and paste the quote in the thread:

I'm not giving away a Steam key. To enter this fake giveaway, send a PM to mislabeled ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this fake Giveaway:
- If the fake key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dishonored -- MB-H4N074R34LK3Y8R0 Taken by ITT nobody reads giveaways

gogogo

nexen

Jesus christ guys, I was only gone for like 8 hours. A whole new thread and already giant? And I missed the spiders? Booo.

I need help though: what is the word on Carrier Command: Gaea Mission? I'm really close to pulling the trigger on it. I know there is a demo but I'm at work and there IS NO TIME.

smr00

Banned
They go on the Steam market and the second you put yours up they plummet in price.
I love how i see X game is getting very good prices on cards so i boot up the game and get a card and when i go to sell it the priced drop like 900%.

It's nawt fair.

Martian

If that is what the creators of Dear Esther were trying to accomplish than I can't say they missed the mark. Obviously once we start digging into this kind of game it becomes much more subjectively enjoyable than normal because of the disconnected nature of the narrative and gameplay. As far as getting any visual feedback adding to the narrative, I must have missed that part because while the island certain felt connected to the story, it didn't feel like it was a part of how the creator wanted to TELL the story.

Maybe my expectations going into the game were wrong, but the only emotion it was able to evoke out of me was eyerolling. Unfortunately it's such a short experience that there was never enough time for it to change my mind before I stopped playing (without 'finishing'). Even with the revelations of it as an 'art installation' type of game, the writing was still completely unenjoyable for me. So without being able to build interest in me through either visual or audio, there was no incentive for me to try and dig any deeper meaning out of the game as I couldn't stop just being annoyed every time the narrator came back into the game for another round of ridiculous prose.

To me it was more of a painting with commentary. The island itself isn't really what the narrator is referring to, but more of a way of showing what happened.
I loved the fact that you could get so lost in the way the story unfolded on that beautiful island, which (I think) has been modified in the Narrator's own mind.

It's like one of those short literary stories, which seem quite odd and weird at first, but get better the more you start to understand.

And even though it wasn't at all scary, it still gave me quite a thrill and goosebumps whenever he started talking about the past. Especially the cave part was quite something

Prophane33

Jesus christ guys, I was only gone for like 8 hours. A whole new thread and already giant? And I missed the spiders? Booo.

I need help though: what is the word on Carrier Command: Gaea Mission? I'm really close to pulling the trigger on it. I know there is a demo but I'm at work and there IS NO TIME.

If this was my normal buy anything 9.99 and under sale I would have picked this up already. I've heard mixed reviews but the premise sounds really neat.

I kinda feel bad for the Gamersgate summer sale.

How can you feel bad for 12.49 Walking Dead (AKA are they even trying)?

t-ramp

Earlier this year, Amazon had a deal where if you bought Age of Empires III Complete Collection for $9, you would get a $5 credit towards Age of Empires II HD.

When Amazon was running a deal for AOE II HD for $10, I only had to pay $5.
I bought the physical AoE3 complete edition for $40 a couple years ago. I have no idea what possessed me to do that. I haven't even played the damn game.

Is Monaco worth it if I don't play with people because I'm an antisocial fuck?

Stealth edit: goes without saying I'd wait for a daily or whatever.
Ditto. How is Monaco as a singleplayer game?

Played some Surgeon Simulator, the first mission was surprisingly easy. Tried some of that Team Fortress 2 thing too but couldn't get it to finish. Worst part of the game is that my laptop gets super crazy and it's hard to press hot A, W,E,R keys :p
But you're enjoying it overall?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
RE: Dear Esther; I don't think it's really all that hard to understand. Relax, don't immediately say "it must be pretentious if I didn't get it right away". Don't say "I'm smart and so the emperor must have no clothes". Try to understand. And don't think of it as a story with a neat beginning, middle, and end--think of it as a sculpture or art installation or painting or something; it's not about narrative, it's about visual and audio form, themes expressed (and then contradicted), how you feel about each individual part

I previously wrote this post on the experience in response to someone who claimed "they didn't get anything out of Dear Esther":
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46678899&postcount=106

This is the stuff that should be rattling around your head if you got the most out of the experience.

I liked Dear Esther, but it's not a game. So I Bought it thinking it was a game but it wasn't.
Also I don't think the experience is pretentious at all, it allows you to think and enjoy the immersion but that's it. I'll take a book any day over Dear Esther.

BLunted

Banned
I just copy the game folder from common and paste it into my external and when i am ready to put it back on my PC i just copy and paste it in the steam/apps/common folder and install.

Easy peasy.

Also, steam has it's own import/export feature. I use it to move games that I am not currently playing off my SSD to my dump drive(3 TB).

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
$20 then? $30 is too much for some (rather) old games, despite their quality. I wouldn't want to be in that situation.
$50 has been it's cheapest :/

And now I really want that deal, need an excuse to buy Starfighter, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom