• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martian

Guys, if you haven't picked up Terraria: DO IT NOW

It's only 2,50 and I spent around 40 hours into it (and I wasn't even halfway done)

It's a kind of adventure game mixed with worldbuilding.
A lot of stuff to craft and a lot of monsters to defeat.
The MP is great too!

marrec

Banned
I liked Dear Esther, but it's not a game. So I Bought it thinking it was a game but it wasn't.
Also I don't think the experience is pretentious at all, it allows you to think and enjoy the immersion but that's it. I'll take a book any day over Dear Esther.

Again, I think getting into discussion about whether it's a game or not are pointless as it doesn't change the value you derive from the experience. You experience it in the same way the you would any game (first person, KB/M, audio narrative) and it's about as difficult to traverse as any Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 level is. The only thing missing are the little ducks that come out on tracks so that you can shoot them at your leisure.

Calling it 'not a game' I think limits game creators to experiences that have a certain level of subjective interactivity. We shouldn't limit these guys in how they want to express their creativity through the medium of 'Games'.

Deadbeat

Banned
Gah someone help me finish these badges. I have killing floor and FTL cards and I would exchange one for the other if I could just finish one damn badge.

Volotaire

Guys, if you haven't picked up Terraria: DO IT NOW

It's only 2,50 and I spent around 40 hours into it (and I wasn't even halfway done)

It's a kind of adventure game mixed with worldbuilding.
A lot of stuff to craft and a lot of monsters to defeat.
The MP is great too!

I would recommend getting together and doing a 4 pack to make it cheaper.

antitrop

Damn, guess I was really bored last night. Wake up and still have the top post count in this one.

I bought 3DMark for absolutely no reason when I woke up.

Martian

Again, I think getting into discussion about whether it's a game or not are pointless as it doesn't change the value you derive from the experience. You experience it in the same way the you would any game (first person, KB/M, audio narrative) and it's about as difficult to traverse as any Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 level is. The only thing missing are the little ducks that come out on tracks so that you can shoot them at your leisure.

Calling it 'not a game' I think limits game creators to experiences that have a certain level of subjective interactivity. We shouldn't limit these guys in how they want to express their creativity through the medium of 'Games'.

Even if it's easy, it doesn't mean it's bad.
Some games are more about story than about gameplay. Heavy Rain isn't good because it's complex, but because it has a good story.
So even if you want to see it as a simple game, it can still be a great game.

Likewise: Call of duty isn't fun because it has such a great storyline, but becuse it gives you a thrill.

There are hardly any benefits from running games off an SSD. Just install them all on a HD.

Agreed. The only two benefits I derive from having a Steam SSD are:

1) City of Heroes is WAY faster as there's near constant loading throughout

2) It encourages me to be a lot more picky about my backlog, and actually helps me organise it due to the lack of space on the drive.

Let's get some god damn Rogue Legacy today! Monaco and Rogue Legacy are the only two games I want to pick up before the sale ends. Need the mega deal before pulling the trigger though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
$50 has been it's cheapest :/

And now I really want that deal, need an excuse to buy Starfighter, lol
WHA... Forget it, Gabe can cancel the sale now. No way I'm buying it for 50 bucks, that's way too much for a bunch of games :/

I paid over $70 for Kingdom Hearts 3D a few months ago...

liezryou

Agreed. The only two benefits I derive from having a Steam SSD are:

1) City of Heroes is WAY faster as there's near constant loading throughout

2) It encourages me to be a lot more picky about my backlog, and actually helps me organise it due to the lack of space on the drive.

Who still plays CoH wtf?

Village

Every tenth level allows you to customize your profile a little more, too.

You aren't making a good case for it , heh.

I can see the merit in it, but how customixable are we talking? Why does it take 10 levels, and as far as friends lists go , I do not have that many friends on my list anyway alot of the people I know do not do PC. They are console exclusive. I do both so, yeah

liezryou

Alright guys it's come that time in a GAFfers life where he (I) must choose an avatar. Since i love you guys in this thread u shall help me decide.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So what if i (not knowing about this program) moved some of my games to my HDD (copy/paste) and then uninstalled them off steam. Could this help me reinstall them and/or do you know how to do that? -_-'.

Move your games to a dedicated folder (say, HDD:\Steam games\steamapps\common -- you need the steamapps and common folders), go to the Steam client, click Steam (upper-left corner) -> Downloads -> Steam Library Folders -> Add Library Folder and select the aforementioned folder you just created (e.g. Steam games), and then install the games via the client, ensuring you select the library folder you just made. Steam should detect the existing data and not actually download anything, provided your games are up-to-date.

Here's an example:

steamstep16dk2w.jpg

steamstep2f0k31.jpg

steamstep3q1jnz.jpg

steamstep4cboip.jpg

steamstep5k5kkn.jpg

chronomac

Every tenth level allows you to customize your profile a little more, too.

That too. You get wallpapers and emoticons after each badge. It's value is up to the user. I sell anything I'm not interested in. I only have badges for Half-Life 2 and FTL right now. Granted, the market is crashing so I might start holding on the cards to trade for ones I want.

marrec

Banned
Even if it's easy, it doesn't mean it's bad.
Some games are more about story than about gameplay. Heavy Rain isn't good because it's complex, but because it has a good story.
So even if you want to see it as a simple game, it can still be a great game.

Likewise: Call of duty isn't fun because it has such a great storyline, but becuse it gives you a thrill.

I was more attempting to draw a line connecting Dear Esther and CoD as games that you physically experience in similar ways. So if CoD is a 'game' while Dear Esther is 'not a game' than the only differentiating factor is the guns and people you shoot in CoD. Which, in my opinion, limits the definition of 'game' too much. So the only logical conclusion is to include Dear Esther in the pantheon of 'games'.

a bit off topic but has anyone heard of this before?

PACSTEAM (version:1.2.0.7) - play steam games free!

someone just messaged me as i logged into steam advertising this "service"

**Advertising** Read the description in the .rar folder, and with the new cApSteam-Beta v1.0 by DeMoNi &' krAx is based on C++, all games from Valve, Bethesda, 2K, SEGA, Rockstar Games, Activision and many other publishers secure! Dude, make sure that you get the new version of PacSteam ;) Check it with your virus scanner trust me it's clean. Have much fun with it! :) For more questions, add me in Skype, *please dont spam me here, and if you do not understand this text, go to > translate.google.de . Greetings! **Advertising**

If anyone has it, can they offer their opinion on 3DMark? Especially in comparison to their previous 3DMark Vantage? I have the latter, but haven't really touched it yet. Is it worth the upgrade?

Also, crafted my first proper badge with the Summer Getaway Badge! Now to get it to level 5.

a bit off topic but has anyone heard of this before?

PACSTEAM (version:1.2.0.7) - play steam games free!

someone just messaged me as i logged into steam advertising this "service"

**Advertising** Read the description in the .rar folder, and with the new cApSteam-Beta v1.0 by DeMoNi &' krAx is based on C++, all games from Valve, Bethesda, 2K, SEGA, Rockstar Games, Activision and many other publishers secure! Dude, make sure that you get the new version of PacSteam ;) Check it with your virus scanner trust me it's clean. Have much fun with it! :) For more questions, add me in Skype, *please dont spam me here, and if you do not understand this text, go to > translate.google.de . Greetings! **Advertising**

lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom