• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double D

These here deals are butt poop. And by that I mean they are actually pretty good because I own a lot of them and paid more for them.

Prophane33

Nothing to buy today, whew. Still, no cards for me to idle for today either. Guess I might have an excuse to leave the house today...yeah right.

Holy shit at this update, I want everything.

Crysis 2
Sleeping Dogs
Alan Wake
System Shock 2
Orcs Must Die 2
Mark of the Ninja

I knew I needed to wait, Max Payne 3, Dishonored and Dust are very very tempting.

I need money!!!

Chances on Dishonored coming back for the popular sales at the end?

It's like Halo right

Eh, not particularly. It's an absolutely incredible game though (I apologise for not typing a new response but it seems redundant when it has been done already so I hope you don't mind).
The One Who Knocks said:
Dishonored is very replayable and is quite an 'open' game also The level design is magnificent (although, I will be honest that there are sections later in the game that I do quite dislike) as it allows for a plethora of approaches to each mission and no playstyle is discouraged. If you want to sneak through the game without upgrading/purchasing any powers or killing any enemy, you can. Alternatively if you wish to buy as much lethal items and powers as you can to slaughter your way through the game it is entirely possible and while the game will alter depending on your hostility it never feels as if the developer is trying to discourage you from playing as you wish. In the beginning it feels slightly clumsy to effectively utilise all that is at your disposal but by the end of the game you will be effortlessly navigating the environment. Some may comment that you end up overpowered or that the power 'Blink' (which allows you to teleport) trivialises the game and, to some extent, it is true due to the lower power consumption but I don't belive that it detracts from how enjoyable the game is. While I felt the atmosphere, world building and storyline was lacking personally I can certainly recognise the amount of detail that was included. I thought it was quite a unique game; it's not without its problems, but very enjoyable.
If I was to comment on what the game plays like, I would, at a push, say Bioshock due to the combination of powers and gun/sword-play (enemies die, generally, in one to three hits so they aren't bullet-sponges and you are very vulnerable also, three to seven hits depending on difficulty [I'd recommend playing on Hard Mode, there are no achievements for difficulty]) but the truth is that it is quite unique and it really depends on how you play the game. Movement around the levels and manipulation of the enemies' AI (primarily movement though) is the emphasis regardless of your style.

If you were to go for a lethal-stealth mix approach (which I find the most enjoyable), an encounter may be to observe the area and spot where the enemies were located. Following this, you Blink above a vulnerable enemy and do a falling assassination (or Blink to his back and immediately assassinate him with your sword); as his body begins to fall to the ground, it becomes devoured by a swarm of rats to remove the evidence of your crime, your most recent purchase a helpful power indeed. You look around for your next target and Blink to higher ground, perching on a lamp-post placed at such a range that it seemed too far yet you managed to grab up. You've seen the enemy in the distance, but he's surrounded by two other guards, what do you do? You freeze time and shoot two crossbows, one at each guard surrounding your target, and Blink to the guard in the middle, stabbing him and Blinking away; the other two guards simultaneously dying just as time returns. It's no good however, you've been spotted by a pesky guard in the corner you failed to observe who has now; what do you do? You could reload the save thinking 'drats, I've been spotted, the game is ruined now' but in Dishonored there is no need. You'll die in three or four shots so you sprint towards him, blinking through his pistol shot, and unleashing a whilwind to send him flying over the edge of the docks. Three more guards are quickly closing in on your position. You shoot your pistol to draw them near and set a springrazer trap on the wall before sprinting away, the guards in hot pursuit. You use Darksight to see through walls, remove a grenade from your pouch and lob it behind you, desperate to prevent them inflicting any damage as they navigate around your trap; or so you thought, your grenade now sending one of them flying into it. Suddenly though, your health drops, the screen goes red. You snap to your right to find a guard mercilessly trying to gut you. Your swords engage as you mash R1 (I'm sorry I don't know the PC equivalent but I presume it's the left mouse button) and you succeed in knocking him away. You sprint towards the Wall of Light you hacked and dive through; just in time to turn around and watch him disintegrate but you've little time to rest, more guards are coming. You search for something to do, do you go for the streetlight to blink on the roof? Hide around ground level? Rush straight to your goal and murder the target? Go into another area? No, you decide to possess the rat beside you and simply run past all of the alerted guards and slip into a vent, reaching the next stage to your goal.

Obviously that's dramatised slightly (as it's unusual for so many guards to become alerted at one), but the plethora of options you have available to you is no exaggeration (but they do unlock gradually) and the above, with enough guards, could be replicated in the game if you wish (and there were enough guards in an area). The gameplay is extremely dynamic as you can utilise the variety of powers you have however you want. I strongly recommend the game.

EDIT: Anybody who has not yet played Mark of the Ninja absolutely must do so if you have any interest and can afford it! It's a marvellous stealth game both for lethal and non-lethal approaches that avoids the drudgery so commonly associated with stealth games.

EDIT: Amnesia is quite excellent also, as is System Shock 2.

Nymphae

Banned
It is a decent arkanoid style game with jrpg graphics. For $.75 if you like breakout/arkanoid, go for it.

I find it hilarious people still have any reservations when the game is like 75 cents. Just buy the damn thing if you even have a slight interest. Why not?

That said, I was going to buy Wizorb but decided to get the psn mini version for Vita instead, it's only like 2 bucks I think.

Martian

I find it hilarious people still have any reservations when the game is like 75 cents. Just buy the damn thing if you even have a slight interest. Why not?

That said, I was going to buy Wizorb but decided to get the psn mini version for Vita instead, it's only like 2 bucks I think.

Thats like 3 cards bro

Shit's expensive

I'm playing Mark of the Ninja on XBLA these days and it's hands down the best XBLA I've played. Amazing all the way. I whole hardheartedly recommend it to anyone.

deleted

BTW, how is Max Payne 3s multiplayer? I don't care for the direction they took the SP, but if the base MP is still active without the mappacks and stuff I think I'd bite.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
DLC doesn't always go on sale during those. Always wait on the Daily's unless you see it listed as participating in that sale.
It was the only DLC at that time that didn't have the same discount as the game.
Not that I'll die for paying $1.5 extra, but not a good precedent.

Turfster

Great. The only time to get good money for cards is when they're just released.
Of course the market is fucked, showing 3 cards picked at random from the probably 100 that have already been listed.

Owzers

my backlog is too large to go nuts.

damage so far:

Deadlight
Mark of the Ninja
Sins of the Solar Empire Rebellion 4pack hop-on

~ $15 total.

I really want a Monaco deal Xo

fantomena

DON'T BUY CRYSHIT 2 GUYS! ITS A SHITTY PICE OF SHIT WHich NOONE SHOULD EVEN CONSIDER BUYING.

no caps lock fail

I was an incredibly big fan of the first game, CryShit 2 broke my heart.

traveler

Not Wario
Money saved on Crysis 2 then.

Might put it to use on Sleeping Dogs based on the praise here but I have never enjoyed a single open world game in my life. How is the actual gameplay? The driving, the shooting, the level design, etc. Not the activities available or the city or the story. Just the gameplay.

Zia

First day I'm not buying something by lunchtime. Mark of the Ninja is a beaut though. Definitely grab it if you haven't already.

masterkajo

I'm playing Mark of the Ninja on XBLA these days and it's hands down the best XBLA I've played. Amazing all the way. I whole hardheartedly recommend it to anyone.

True that! Mark of the Ninja was a big surprise. It is one of the best stealth action games, I have ever played. Truly amazing game! Go buy noa!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom