• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monk tell me what DLC to get with sleeping dogs!

I'm not The_Monk but maybe this will help! The story DLC for Sleeping Dogs:

Nightmare in North Point
The Zodiac Tournament
Year of the Snake

Wheels of Fury also has missions in it, and is sort of halfway to a story expansion. Everything else I'm pretty sure is just costumes, weapons and XP. If the four or five bucks it would cost to get all the story DLC is too much, I think Wheels and then Zodiac are the ones you could skip.

Enco

Repeat Civ 5 pls

Has to be repeated within the next few days since it seems they're picking it all from 30 games or so.

edit: WHAAAT ITS ON VOTING!

Guys, please vote Civ. I will owe you my heart.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Which is the game breaking DLC specifically though?

The XP bonuses are far too generous, and the money envelopes are rather pointless as you can gamble if you want to farm cash. I'd just get the three pieces of content-expanding DLC chrominance mentioned above.

Damnit I think Steam jipped me ! It said my purchase would give me 2 summer cards but I never got them. Gaben what have I done to deserve this?

Zeliard

Strong System Shock 2 recommendation: sound is critical in the game. Do whatever you have to to experience it with good audio output. If you don't have a decent set of speakers, use some good headphones. If you have neither, steal them.

PaulLFC

Still waiting for Gunpoint and Monaco to be dailies - Euro Truck 2 as well since Steam refused to let me buy it when it was a flash sale :(

Big-E

This sale has been horrible. Seems everything released like this year and the sales today have been on sale already.

There is lots of replay value because there are tons of custom stories to download.

The game itself is slow, and I can see how someone could think it's boring, but it's definitely scary and will keep you on the edge of your seat throughout,
Excellent. The fine GAFfer Woo gifted me, so I can't wait to experience the game. Man, mods really make PC gaming so much more versatile and exciting than console gaming. Thanks for the link

Strong System Shock 2 recommendation: sound is critical in the game. Do whatever you have to to experience it with good audio output. If you don't have a decent set of speakers, use some good headphones. If you have neither, steal them.

I guess I'm set. I have a pair of Yamaha's HS50M

Valve got back to me after about 33 hours, asked me to verify my billing information and that I did authorize the charges to my account. Now I'm just waiting for them to receive my response and, in their own words, "unlock" my account. Faster than I expected so far.

Cant you just call them up and get it straightened out, or is it not that easy?

Asking for future reference just in case. Suprised they dont at least have a live chat option.

The_Monk

I'm not The_Monk but maybe this will help! The story DLC for Sleeping Dogs:

Nightmare in North Point
The Zodiac Tournament
Year of the Snake

Wheels of Fury also has missions in it, and is sort of halfway to a story expansion. Everything else I'm pretty sure is just costumes, weapons and XP. If the four or five bucks it would cost to get all the story DLC is too much, I think Wheels and then Zodiac are the ones you could skip.

This is a good post fellow GAFfer. Nightmare in North Point is fun but felt a bit Short to me (I played on the PS3 *runs*).

Can someone help me with buying something small (~3€) from some EU region that's not Germany or UK?

Steam link is in my profile, it would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Thanks Wok!

Hawkie

Valve got back to me after about 33 hours, asked me to verify my billing information and that I did authorize the charges to my account. Now I'm just waiting for them to receive my response and, in their own words, "unlock" my account. Faster than I expected so far.

Allez!

Serious Sam 3 worth it?

YES!

If you've ever enjoyed Doom, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D etc, I would buy it without hesitation.

It's a proper old school, balls out fun FPS.

I actually wanted to really dislike it, because there's only one king I hail to and his name is Duke. However, as I loaded it up for cards and started playing it, I found it really pretty fun. For 90% off, you'd be stupid not to if you have a passing interest in FPS games.

Also - the serious engine is great. Ran at 1080P smooth as butter on high settings for me. And I have a relatively old passive GTS 450 card that dies whenever anything stresses it too much :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Here's hoping your ticket doesn't sit idle for days!

Cant you just call them up and get it straightened out, or is it not that easy?

Asking for future reference just in case. Suprised they dont at least have a live chat option.

Valve doesn't have the manpower for live support options.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

All truth. This game must be played with a good sound setup.

I wonder if the jump from Orcs must Die 1 from Orcs must Die 2 is big enough.

I only have the first one and I liked it, I know there's a new character you play with, I believe.

The new character is fun and they add a lot of new traps and powers and co-op, but it's more of an expansion pack than a true sequel.

For me that was more than good enough for me to enjoy it (and put something like 30 hours into it), but it's not really a big jump between the games.

DMC4 is better than DmC, dont listen to anyone who says otherwise. It has better combat, two completely different characters to play as (who CARES that you go through the backgrounds twice, you play it COMPLETELY DIFFERENT).

Its simply a better action game from enemies to bosses, to action moments, extras, everything. DmC is great as well just not as good as 3 or 4.

yami4ct

Spent $47 so far. Not great, but not terrible. Only game left for me to grab is Rogue Legacy. Hoping it goes on daily or flash by the end of the sale. If not, oh well. 20% off is better than full price. Going to have like $5 in trading card sales to use anyway.

So that means, my haul this year is going to be

Don't Starve
Tomb Raider
Kerbal Space Program
Sleeping Dogs+Story DLC
Rogue Legacy.

Not bad. Wish I would have spent less, honestly, but going to have a ton of fun with this stuff.

Here's hoping your ticket doesn't sit idle for days!

Valve doesn't have the manpower for live support options.

This is why they should hire me. I will dedicate my life to my fellow Steam gamers! I'd even give you my home phone number! Call me anytime I'm here to help!

Tymerend

Going against popular GAF opinion, I'd still love to play the new DmC. Just waiting for it to drop a bit lower in price. I'd probably bite at $15 or so. However, seeing as it's Capcom, I'll be waiting for a while.

Everything else today that sounds interesting is stuff I already own. Soooo, I'll check back in another eight hours.

ZenaxPure

Secret World seems like it could be a really great experience, but I have my doubts I could get into it. And if it truly is 40gb, a download close to that size would take me several days of leaving the internet on doing nothing but download it... which is depressing. I guess I'll pass.

Unless my PC is lying to me Secret World is only like 16 gigs. It's totally worth it as well, speaking as someone who plays a lot of MMOs (well mostly just WoW in the past few months) I absolutely love Secret World. You should totally pick it up even if you aren't a MMO guy, that goes for anyone really. Like any good modern mmo experience you can play it alone if you wish, and, frankly I advise it.

The game is based entirely around the questing experience and imo it has without a doubt the best questing system in any mmo out there right now. If you didn't see other people running around you wouldn't even think of the game as a mmo really, you'd just think of it as a damn good action rpg. The game splits its quests up into sub categories so you can only have 1 main storyline quest at a time, another minor story quest, and then a few side quests. With that it keeps the pacing really good since you are usually only focusing on one quest at a time, and, unlike your typical mmo "run kill 10 boars" a lot of the quests in Secret World involve puzzle solving and the use of arg style websites. One of my favorite quests early in the game involves having to find a password for a device by actually opening a real browser and going to a website and finding information on it. In a sea of WoW clones Secret World was the first non-WoW mmo to really hook me in because it feels radically different. I can't recommend it enough really.

The only real downside is that the game is just poorly made (from a technical standpoint) or it doesn't scale very well. My PC is fairly old, but, I can still run 90% of games that come out (I was just playing some Tomb Raider earlier for example, a game that just came out this year). Secret World, though, chugs along hitting sub 10 FPS at times, even on the lowest settings. I have friends with better PCs than mine and they run into trouble at various points too. So, worth keeping that in mind.

cicero

Top Dog Gold, Top Dog Silver, and High Roller. Red Envelope could fall into this category, though it adds $50,000 collectables to the map rather than just giving it to you.
Looks like I already had bought the game breaking DLC then. I will just take the time to remove it when I finally get around to playing it.

EDIT: Thank you very much for the heads up about this, I appreciate it.

iavi

DMC4 is better than DmC, dont listen to anyone who says otherwise. It has better combat, two completely different characters to play as (who CARES that you go through the backgrounds twice, you play it COMPLETELY DIFFERENT).

Its simply a better action game from enemies to bosses, to action moments, extras, everything. DmC is great as well just not as good as 3 or 4.

You're trying to rationalize the padding. No thanks.

I should probably get DMC4, I avoided it the entire gen for no particular reason and retreading through levels isn't an issue for me because I care more about the encounters.

I think I remember hating the combat music when I played it all those years back though.

Nabs

so I just got System Shock 2 and Alan Wake Franchise for $6.48. And voted for Civ5 although I've already played it and stuff (and I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR ONE... MORE... TURN...)

Should I get Sleeping Dogs or Mark of the Ninja or wait for another Tomb Raider daily? WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME CHOOSE, STEAM?

Get all 3. They are all great games, so it shouldn't be hard to pick one if you can't afford them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom