• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkie

Why do I keep buying Assassin's Creed games?
I hated the first one and couldn't get into the second one.
But I own all of them except 3, which will, no doubt, eventually be $5 and I'll own that too.

Because

Abstergo_SD.png

marrec

Banned
I'm thinking about getting
a) Sleeping Dogs
b) Mark of the Ninja

Which is more 'must play'?

I'd say Mark of the Ninja is more 'must play'. Sleeping Dogs is a really good GTA style open world crime game (WAY better than GTA4) but Mark of the Ninja is one of the best games of the generation and should change how people make stealth games in the future.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Wait... is that to unlock your account entirely or to release a marketplace lockout? ...
If steam support are offering to release the marketplace lock for you, I'm going to fire them another request. Would be cool if you could keep us updated!

Nah, I can use the marketplace fine (theoretically; I can't purchase anything because I can't add funds to my wallet). It's just a lock on actual purchases and adding wallet funds using any method.

Enco

a) Sleeping Dogs
b) Mark of the Ninja

Both great games but both games that I haven't finished.

Flip a coin or go for Sleeping Dogs because I've played it longer and enjoyed it more.

mclem

It's not advertised as such (at least, not that I've noticed), but if you purchase the Serious Sam Complete Pack and own some of the elements in it, you will get giftable copies; at least, I recieved giftable copies of the two HD remakes.

yami4ct

a) Sleeping Dogs
b) Mark of the Ninja

If you can only get one, get Sleeping Dogs. The amount of content alone makes that game a much better value.

Mark of the Ninja is a very good game, but it doesn't have near that value.

Zeliard

Alan Wake recommendation: use the developer menu to unlock Nightmare mode off the bat by adding -developermenu to the launch options.

Unless you really don't like difficulty in games, or at least this type of game, I would highly recommend playing it on Nightmare from the start. It will make the combat more frantic and atmospheric while still keeping it from being annoying (you'll still find plenty of ammo and flashlight batteries).

The game is a massive bargain at the silly $2.99 price point. I know it's been cheap before, but if you've been ignoring it, now is a great time to buy it. It's a lovely game, a sort of cross between Stephen King and Twin Peaks, and if you can run it at high settings it's a real looker.

Shamefully, I've owned Alan Wake's American Nightmare for a while now but haven't gotten around to actually playing it. :p I should probably get on that.

antitrop

Shamefully, I've owned Alan Wake's American Nightmare for a while now but haven't gotten around to actually playing it. :p I should probably get on that.
I've never played American Nightmare, either. Feel kind of bad about that, considering how much I enjoyed AW.

Ifrit

Alan Wake recommendation: use the developer menu to unlock Nightmare mode off the bat by adding -developermenu to the launch options.

Unless you really don't like difficulty in games, or at least this type of game, I would highly recommend playing it on Nightmare from the start. It will make the combat more frantic and atmospheric while still keeping it from being annoying (you'll still find plenty of ammo and flashlight batteries).

The game is a massive bargain at the silly $2.99 price point. I know it's been cheap before, but if you've been ignoring it, now is a great time to buy it. It's a lovely game, a sort of cross between Stephen King and Twin Peaks, and if you can run it at high settings it's a real looker.

I'll take this advise, thank you

After 30 or so games bought I need to chill for a day. Maybe Alan Wake. Don't know yet.

Another question since I'm fairly new to this.

What's the best way to back up / keep your save games? I mean, you can always uninstall games on your pc and install them later again thanks to steam, but what about your save files?

Thanks in advance!

a) Sleeping Dogs
b) Mark of the Ninja

As much as I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs, I'm a huge stealth fan and Mark of the Ninja is one of my favorite stealth games ever. It's accessible but challenging, the art style is awesome, you feel like a badass ninja, a true ninja not like combo-crazed Ryu from "Ninja" Gaiden

There is also a ton of replay value. Different costumes and tools allow for different playstyles: the unseen ghost, the stalking predator, the terror from the dark.

I loved it.

ezekial45

Banned
I always saw DMC4 as a barebones and lazy DMC game. It gives you the bare minimum content for combat, while skimping out on everything else. There's a reason why most people playing it spend hours upon hours in the Bloody Palace, because they've exhausted all the main game's content.

DmC definitely remedies many of the faults DMC4 had, but I won't deny that the combat in DMC4 is the most refined of the series. But DmC is a really fun game nonetheless. I just wished people wouldn't go out of their way to trash it, while defending DMC4 and giving it free passes.

Who is playing DMC for story? Well if you are then you should absolutely get DmC.

I didnt played the whole DMC Saga for the Story. But the Story and the Characters bothered me since the first one. Gameplay was good (and not as hard as some say) but the controls were shit. Changing weapons is like your death sentence. And to that. The world alone wasnt spectacular.

DmC fixed all those issues that i had with the entire franchise. But it had some other issues were the franchise was great. Is it something that cant be fixed with a sequel? NO.

And i cant see why people hate DmC. All this "It got easier." talk is annoying. Now the series got some new fans. Instead of being happy that more people gonna enjoy those games they are all like the new dante and say "FUCK YOU".

I just realized I've spent far more time purchasing items, anticipating purchasing items and discussing the purchase of said items far more than I've actually played games in the last few days. The last few months even

If gaf had a play time indicator like Steam I'd probably kill myself out of shame

Edwardo

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Max Payne: Bundle -- MB-437E951EB4B12F58 - Taken by JoduanER2

Let's try this again!

Max Payne 1 + 2

Enjoy!

Finally going to grab Reus and now System Shock 2, never played it in my life so I'm hoping it holds up.

Too bad DMC is still $25 would have bought it for $20 I'm sure, was hoping for a price cut similar to Tomb Raider

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

This is the best advice anyone can give.

Sleepy Dawgs is amazing and I've bought DLC for it. It's a very fun and well made game, but ultimately it's an evolution of the GTA formula.

But Mark of the Ninja is a very unique platformer that makes stealth fun to play. It's no the first 2d platformer of all time that's tried stealth, but it just does it better. It's not lame stealth like some games (I was going to name names, but I'll just get crucified and it would derail the discussion, so make do with "some games").

So I'd actually buy both and enjoy them for what they are, because they both deserved to be played instead of like.. Bad Rats or something.

Overdoziz

Banned

American Nightmare was a huge letdown for me. They basically took it into the opposite direction of what I wanted them to go. Instead of making it more of a thriller they turned it into an action game. There is also one big story element which was a neat idea, but didn't work out well at all in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom