• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #3 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophane33

maybe I'm missing the point, but unless you sit in front of your browser mashing F5 there's no chance to win..

Or you casually read the thread until a giveaway pops up that you wouldn't mind trying to get. You try ...you win or lose ..and you move on (thanking whoever did the giveaway if you won, of course). It's a community give away not a pop-in/pop-out sort of thing.

Wok

maybe I'm missing the point, but unless you sit in front of your browser mashing F5 there's no chance to win..

I have never won a single one, yet I have been mashing F5 at some points.

People are often using the default options, one of which allows recent winners to participate again.

H3xum

I'm pretty sure they're separate. I played through the whole main game without them. Just picked up Year of the Snake.

When you launch the game, you'll come to menu with a list including the main game and all the DLC you own. You'll choose one and it brings you to its own menu.

If the other DLCs are anything like Nightmare In North Point, then you just select which DLC you want to play in the main menu

Perfect. Thanks

gilljoy

I know Lissar was trying to give out Oil Rush in one of them that no one was taking.

I thought Dragonborn was 50% off during the daily deal at the start of the sale.

I'll hold off picking it up then until its only daily deal, which should be soonish right?

Petrie

Banned
So as someone who found himself unable to get past the graphics and such of the original Deus Ex when I tried a few years back, is it worth buying System Shock 2 or will it be a loss for me with no nostalgia for it?

Tomodachi

these bot giveaways are so damn fast!

can't there be a programmed delay of like, at least a minute, before modbot stops accepting entries? Then he could randomly decide on the winner..

I don't like complaining about giveaways in any way but I think your point makes sense. You'd reward one among the fastest (I'd say no more than a 1 minute delay though, 2 minutes is already a lot) and that would be an ulterior insurance against people spamming F5 on the thread just to get steam codes.

Cth

Previously, if someone wanted to give away a key, they posted it.

This led to lurkers and unregistered people grabbing it without saying thanks.

So, people started including them in email fields, so only registered people could use them.

Of course, this led to people hoarding them and still not thanking people.

Some threads were created to exchange keys (take one, post one) but people ruined that too by giving away $1 games and taking $60 games (or worse saying they gave away a game three days ago and they're owed a game)

So, Stump created a bot that would thank donators and remind people to thank them. It was a papertrail to see who was just here to bulk up their library and who was actually contributing.

As things progressed, changes were added. To limit the number of daily/weekly wins. To limit it to those who only donate games. To limit it to those who hadn't won yet. etc, etc. And people are actually thankful and for the most part, not leeches.

All the other functions you want exist elsewhere. Sure, you could add said functionality, but it's a waste of resources. The bot gets bombarded with PMs, has to scan AND update posts regularly, etc. Now add in the idea of having to store names, do a random contest, etc. It's doable, but unnecesary.

You don't have to F5 things either. Keep in mind, giveaways can be limited to those who haven't won already, etc.

LQX

So as someone who found himself unable to get past the graphics and such of the original Deus Ex when I tried a few years back, is it worth buying System Shock 2 or will it be a loss for me with no nostalgia for it?

System Shock is a much prettier game. It looks good. Very clean and sharp at 1920x1080. Think Perfect Dark for XBLA if you have played it.

yami4ct

Who honestly hasn't won something from Modbot or some other giveaway yet?

I've never had a chance to, really. Most of them use the NOLURKERS rule, for an understandable reason. I've only recently been freed from the lurker tag. The ones that don't use that go faster than I can get at them.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Within a minute, you were one of 16 entries into that giveaway. The problem isn't the lack of delay, it's the number of takers :p

Stump said he was going to work on that after the sales.

that would be awesome.
And I apologize if I came off as ungrateful.

I think everybody pitching in is amazing! And props to Stump for all the effort put into it, it really is way better than spamming the thread with quotes. And of course to Salsa for making these insane threads!

You don't have to F5 things either. Keep in mind, giveaways can be limited to those who haven't won already, etc.
You're right, that would be more than fair.

Wok

I don't like complaining about giveaways in any way but I think your point makes sense. You'd reward one among the fastest (I'd say no more than a 1 minute delay though, 2 minutes is already a lot) and that would be an ulterior insurance against people spamming F5 on the thread just to get steam codes.

This is a good idea: as soon as the first guy sends a PM to modbot, a one-minute countdown starts, and when the countdown reaches zero, people eligibile for the giveaway are signed in a lottery.

Prophane33

Previously, if someone wanted to give away a key, they posted it.

This led to lurkers and unregistered people grabbing it without saying thanks.

So, people started including them in email fields, so only registered people could use them.

Of course, this led to people hoarding them and still not thanking people.

Some threads were created to exchange keys (take one, post one) but people ruined that too by giving away $1 games and taking $60 games (or worse saying they gave away a game three days ago and they're owed a game)

So, Stump created a bot that would thank donators and remind people to thank them. It was a papertrail to see who was just here to bulk up their library and who was actually contributing.

As things progressed, changes were added. To limit the number of daily/weekly wins. To limit it to those who only donate games. To limit it to those who hadn't won yet. etc, etc. And people are actually thankful and for the most part, not leeches.

All the other functions you want exist elsewhere. Sure, you could add said functionality, but it's a waste of resources. The bot gets bombarded with PMs, has to scan AND update posts regularly, etc. Now add in the idea of having to store names, do a random contest, etc. It's doable, but unnecesary.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

scurker

Who honestly hasn't won something from Modbot or some other giveaway yet?

I haven't won anything, but I've only tried for 2-3 giveaways. I only enter ones for games that I think I would actually play or don't already own and am not fast enough on my F5-fu.

Skab

Alright gaf professionals. I need your opinions.

I got the Deus Ex collection last night. Which order should I play them in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom