• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #4 - Thread 4!?!? for questions read OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fewr

Uh. Levels are random, drops are random, nothing carries over run to run, and death is permanent. Maybe I'm misusing the word roguelike but I thought those were the necessary characteristics.
Well.. The important aspects for me are the turn based movement, and the strategy involved in when and how to use the resources you have to get out of super hard situations. E.g. In shiren for ds when I reached the last boss I managed to use my available items to turn it into a mouse and kill it in one hit.

Now that you mention the characteristics, and that I've been playing the game for an hour I could say it's arcade/roguelike, but that's a topic for another discussion. Let's just leave it as a great game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone have the name of the one friendly gaffer who was gifting people games that were cheaper in the UK or somewhere?

Was looking for NS2 but the guy who offered to sell it for 4.70 hasn't responded.

Wok

I am considering buying Ms. Splosion Man on the last day of the sales. It looks like a decent platformer.

Bought. I am not waiting for an unlikely Flash deal, or the last daily deals which will most likely be repeats.

Any recommendations for a fun/cheap platformer similar to Super Mario Brothers ... that's not too tough (ie Super Meat Boy)

I cannot tell for sure, but Ms. Splosion Man looks fun.

Otherwise, check: Cave Story+, BEEP, Sideway, Pid.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Any tips for Rogue Legacy? I'm maybe 20 characters in and while I've gotten a few upgrades that are worth it, I still don't feel like I'm making much progress. I've tried to fight the boss a few times to no avail, gotten into the up and down areas a few times but never very far, on Journal #6, I've gotten a bunch of different items, unlocked a bunch of new classes. I'm not great at action platformers but I'm not terrible so I'm confident that "just play better" isn't the strategy.

In other news, Gunpoint has gotten cooler in the end-game. The plot and dialogue are definitely very well done, you can tell he approached the game as a writer.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Any tips for Rogue Legacy? I'm maybe 20 characters in and while I've gotten a few upgrades that are worth it, I still don't feel like I'm making much progress. I've tried to fight the boss a few times to no avail, gotten into the up and down areas a few times but never very far, on Journal #6, I've gotten a bunch of different items, unlocked a bunch of new classes. I'm not great at action platformers but I'm not terrible so I'm confident that "just play better" isn't the strategy.

In other news, Gunpoint has gotten cooler in the end-game. The plot and dialogue are definitely very well done, you can tell he approached the game as a writer.

Gunpoint caught me by surprise. Can't wait to get further in.

antitrop

Don't be afraid to grind.

My most efficient runs have been done with Lich Kings/Queens.
My growth exploded once I unlocked and began using that class as often as possible. Long, profitable runs. I'm up to Level 100 and I've only killed two bosses.

Uh. Levels are random, drops are random, nothing carries over run to run, and death is permanent. Maybe I'm misusing the word roguelike but I thought those were the necessary characteristics.

Binding of Isaac is definitely a roguelike. I don't understand the comment about Super Mario Bros and NES games at all

Cth

For me, once I found a place that had a lot of cash and was easy to get to, I had the architect lock down the dungeon and just farmed that for a bit to unlock some more things (classes, weapons, armor). To be fair I have played it too long but that's my strategy to start with.

calder

Man I wish I had gotten Kerbal when it was on sale. I'm sure I'll get it someday, but there was a bunch of stuff I also wanted that day and Kerbal lost out. And now today I see not much I want and am filled with regret. ;(

Oh well, time to do some deliveries in Euro Truck and wash away my disappointment by building a transport conglomerate.

Koroviev

Man I wish I had gotten Kerbal when it was on sale. I'm sure I'll get it someday, but there was a bunch of stuff I also wanted that day and Kerbal lost out. And now today I see not much I want and am filled with regret. ;(

Oh well, time to do some deliveries in Euro Truck and wash away my disappointment by building a transport conglomerate.

Kerbal should come back for the encore day. I would be surprised if it didn't.

Wok

Don't cry, I have sent a PM to you.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I feel like this card selling system is kinda broken. When im buying a card the super cheap ones go instantly, yet ive had super cheap ones on sale for a while now with no buys. Buys only seem to happen the instant you put them on sale.

hlhbk

So I setup xinput wrapper for the PS3 controller last night and played through 12 chapters of MK9. WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The dpad for the ps3 is so much better than the 360 one and its really noticeable on MK9. THANK YOU to everyone that posted in the instructions last night!

What other games are just better on the PS3 controller on PC?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A few indie games that are cheaper right now on GMG:

large-5-640x350.jpg

Anodyne ($4.99 on Steam, $3.39 on GMG)

large-4-640x350.jpg

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams($4.94 on Steam, $4.79 on GMG)

large-1-640x350.jpg

Dear Esther ($2.49 on Steam, $1.79 on GMG)

large-3-640x350.jpg

Lunar Flight ($3.39 on Steam, $2.49 on GMG)

large-6-640x350.jpg

CreaVures ($4.99 on Steam, $1.25 on GMG)

large-3-640x350.jpg

Q.U.B.E. Against the Clock DLC ($2.99 on Steam, $1.24 on GMG)

large-5_-640x350.jpg

Journey Down: Chapter 1 ($3.49 on Steam, $2.37 on GMG)

Same here. I was mulling it over last night and now kicking myself. The lack of a -50% didn't help either because it would be twice what I spent on any other game.

UncleBiz

So I setup xinput wrapper for the PS3 controller last night and played through 12 chapters of MK9. WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The dpad for the ps3 is so much better than the 360 one and its really noticeable on MK9. THANK YOU to everyone that posted in the instructions last night!

What other games are just better on the PS3 controller on PC?

Not sure if you know, but what's the difference between Xinput Wrapper and MotioninJoy? That's what I've been using and I haven't had any major problems

dmr87

Completed it a few hours ago, 14 hours and like 130-140 characters.
Hokage/Shinobi
all the way, went for simple HP/armor/damage and grinded away. Some things were a pain in the ass but I fought through.

Life/mana steal/double jump/speed runes

P.S - GAF, this game is fucking good,

FloatOn

The key to bosses is using the upgraded class abilities.

I used a paladin with his shield for the giant eye. Vampire gear for the second. Barbarian shouts to clear projectiles for the rest of the game. And generally a spellsword with flame barrier is the easy mode of the game.

I had to put a grace rune on for the last boss though. Those will lower the scaling of the enemies.

Regretting not buying Bioshock 2 in hopes they'd remove GFWL before the sale ended. Hope Bioshock shows up during the final blowout-esque thing at the end so I can grab BS2.

Infuriating that the rest of the Star Wars games aren't on sale though. Really wanted to pick up Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando. Had Battlefront 2 on disc way back in the day, but lent it to a friend who was building their first PC and never got it back.

hlhbk

Not sure if you know, but what's the difference between Xinput Wrapper and MotioninJoy? That's what I've been using and I haven't had any major problems

I have heard Motionjoy has spyware built into it, and once you install it motionjoy is a bitch to completely remove. I also have heard of people having to reinstall windows to get use of their bluetooth back after using motionjoy.

Since I don't care if its wired I am just using the usb cable function of Xinput and it works really well.

So how is Starforge alpha? It looks interesting but some oppinions would be nice. I don't really trust these early acces games.

From what i've heard barely a game yet.
Best to wait.

Can't believe there are no Chivalry 4-packs going. Am I really going to have to spend $6.24 rather than $5????

FloatOn

So how is Starforge alpha? It looks interesting but some oppinions would be nice. I don't really trust these early acces games.

A friend of mine has it and says that it shows lots of potential but there isn't much to the actual game yet.

It's pretty much just the game engine to play around with at this point.

Salsa

Thanks. This might be of interest to Toma's indie game thread as well!

btw, i've been talking with Toma and im gonna take what he did in that OP and add it to the last day thread, up to you if both stay open or its better to have the discussion/recommendations stay in one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom