• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #4 - Thread 4!?!? for questions read OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Saw this on the Retro/Grade hub and I felt really bad for the guy considering I snatched one of the many PSN codes he gave out when the game came out and I loved the game:

Did this game really sell so poorly?
I know all of four people who play this, and two of those I gave copies to. You know what's especially tragic about this? 146 friends own Bad Rats. 4 friends own Retro/Grade.

As the developer, I can tell you that the short answer is... yes. :( I really don't know why the game hasn't sold well, and it's been pretty devastating both financially and on a personal level. If you are interested, I gave a talk at GDC about the development and the personal difficulties behind both developing the game and dealing with the poor sales: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017963/Obsessive-Compulsive-Development-Retro-Grade

I hope we can get more consume interest in the game in the future, but it seems like we may have made a game that not many people want to play. :(

Thank you all for the support! The steam summer sale unfortunately hasn't given us much of a boost, but hopefully it'll help expand the audience.

Anyway, to all who appreciated the game, I'm still trying to stay indie. I will be announcing my next project very soon, and a kickstarter for it will follow in the next month or so. It's difficult for me to ask for money, but I think kickstarter is really the only way I can keep making interesting indie games, so check back here for for more details if you are interested.

Thank you again everyone for your kind words and support! It means a lot to me.

So in order to drum up some awareness of this awesome little rhythm game that apparently bombed, here's 3 codes up for grabs:

ModBot said:

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both five or fewer posts in this Steam thread and five or fewer posts in the immediate previous one--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Retro/Grade -- MB-2DA8A9490FD8CBE5 - Taken by Polioliolio
Retro/Grade -- MB-1869C645DD0CFCF0 - Taken by didamangi
Retro/Grade -- MB-0027986D4EF6A249 - Taken by Prophane33
If you miss out and still want the game, it's only $2.50 on Steam right now.

Grief.exe

Little preview for Monday

o2eEFUl.png

Need to start thinking of titles for the OT

Saw this on the Retro/Grade hub and I felt really bad for the guy considering I snatched one of the many PSN codes he gave out when the game came out and I loved the game:

So in order to drum up some awareness of this awesome little rhythm game that apparently bombed, here's 3 codes up for grabs:

If you miss out and still want the game, it's only $2.50 on Steam right now.

Finally, a win direct from modbot, and I always thought this game looked interesting.
Thanks, Killthee! :D

Koroviev

Well it's good in the fact that it gives the devs more $$ and players to sort out the bugs for the final and likely cheaper build I'll be buying.

I don't mind supporting good games. I would not have felt bad for paying $20 for Kerbal, but I'm not seeing as much interest in Prison Architect, probably due to the price point. It does have an amusing promo video.

DukeBobby

Did this game really sell so poorly?
I know all of four people who play this, and two of those I gave copies to. You know what's especially tragic about this? 146 friends own Bad Rats. 4 friends own Retro/Grade.
As the developer, I can tell you that the short answer is... yes. :( I really don't know why the game hasn't sold well, and it's been pretty devastating both financially and on a personal level. If you are interested, I gave a talk at GDC about the development and the personal difficulties behind both developing the game and dealing with the poor sales: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017963...nt-Retro-Grade

I hope we can get more consume interest in the game in the future, but it seems like we may have made a game that not many people want to play. :(

Suddenly, I feel guilty.

Crayons

Banned
I only bought games for $7.50 or less and I spent almost $140 on Steam sales this year.

Found this old post of mine and I realized that I spent even more money this year than last year's summer sale.

and I said this in OT1.

Guess I'm going to have to miss this sale. Not a single penny to my name.

It hurts so much.
lol

Hmm contemplating getting War for Cybertron.

I already have a nice backlog, but Activision games rarely get deep discounts. Any opinions on the game?

Salsa

hopefully the dude can recognize that the most likely reason why Retro/Grade didnt sell well is because the look is generic space twin-stick shooter #3298 until you actually see a gameplay video and realize it's something different. It could have been conveyed better.

hopefully the dude can recognize that the most likely reason why Retro/Grade didnt sell well is because the look is generic space twin-stick shooter #3298 until you actually see a gameplay video and realize it's something different. It could have been conveyed better.

That's exactly what I thought it was.

rockx4

i feel sad for retro/grade now, but i don't have any money left, maybe next sale :(.

Yea, I've used up like all the funds I set aside. This is my smallest steam sales purchase in a while, but only because my backlog is already too large and I have to keep myself from adding games I won't have time for. I'll keep retro/grade on my mind for tomorrow though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
3 out of 4 aint bad. MW2 is dead and full of hackers anyway.

I bought a "grey market" key for MW2 way back when and, given Acti's insistence on keeping the game at full price, I think I made the right call.

Amzin

I already have a nice backlog, but Activision games rarely get deep discounts. Any opinions on the game?

War or Fall? I liked War, but it's pretty repetitive and simple, mostly enjoyed it because of my love of Transformers I think. Fall, on the other hand, is really really good and has a great campaign to boot.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking too.

botlite

I liked it enough to purchase Fall of Cybertron this sale. The fps is locked to 30 but you can get a program to unlock it somewhere. It's a fun game.

smr00

Banned
I liked it enough to purchase Fall of Cybertron this sale. The fps is locked to 30 but you can get a program to unlock it somewhere. It's a fun game.
You sure about that? MSI is telling me it's running at 60fps and it looks like it's running at 60fps.

Digoman

Reading only good things about Fall of Cybertron is not helping me resist the temptation... and for that price, it would be hard to use "card money".

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't mind supporting good games. I would not have felt bad for paying $20 for Kerbal, but I'm not seeing as much interest in Prison Architect, probably due to the price point. It does have an amusing promo video.

Yea the promo videos almost made me just say fuck it and buy the thing. But I would be buying a game that would likely sit in my backlog until the cheaper finished version is done.
I'll certainly support these devs when their product launches it's a day 1 buy for me. If it's selling #1 on steam today they won't need my 20 to get the project done.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Just snagged Super House of Dead Ninjas. Sooo soo fucking good from the few minutes I've played (well almost an hour). What a great game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom