• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #4 - Thread 4!?!? for questions read OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
I have an EVGA 680 with no extra cooling of any sort. The heat does go up when this happens but that's cause its stressing and not the other way around, I believe. Otherwise regular 30-37 idle temps. It's a bit OCed (but has been for a year with no issues)

been 20 minutes since boot now and no issues, although I really dont feel like I did anything that could have taken care of the issue, whatever it is

knock on wood, just scared to leave the PC on while I sleep now :/

When was the last time you opened the case and cleaned all the dust bunny's out? Enough of that crap will make your card overheat in a heartbeat.

Grief.exe

random question - should I upgrade to Windows 8?

I'm liking the fast boot times.

Once you get used to the metro tiles, it becomes much faster actually.

Windows Key + type what you want + enter is all you need to start a program.

And you can make the Metro screen look all cool

F3IWh3f.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

F3IWh3f.png

Whatever floats your boat. ;)

F3IWh3f.png

Talking about tiles, 8.1 makes it even better.

Also with 8.1 you will be able to boot directly into the desktop.

Sarcasm

F3IWh3f.png

How fast is fast? Mine is 4 seconds (W7).

DarkFlow

Banned
hyper 212+ on the cpu needs some cleaning, but the card is fine

Hmmm, Then I have no idea really. Could always go the nuclear option and just do a fresh install. Then you get to see if it's a drivers issue, or the card just taking a shit. Plus you get the feeling of a nice, clean OS.

Koroviev

F3IWh3f.png

The Metro interface doesn't bother me, but I rarely go to the start screen for anything. Using keyboard shortcuts, I can do almost everything from the desktop, which is especially useful if you do remote work on computers...that, in my opinion, is one of the biggest failings of the metro interface. Feels nice and snappy locally on a nice PC, God-awful on a remote PC. But that's not a typical use case and we're getting off-topic in this thread.

Back to Sonic Sega Racing and shooting guilty glances at Prison Architect :p

Salsa

Using the lastest nvidia 320.49 graphics drivers, I assume?

yes

Hmmm, Then I have no idea really. Could always go the nuclear option and just do a fresh install. Then you get to see if it's a drivers issue, or the card just taking a shit. Plus you get the feeling of a nice, clean OS.

idk, maybe cables were loose for some reason, tho it didnt seem that way. Maybe reinstalling drivers randomly fixed it.. so far 25 minutes into third boot up and im good

but maaaaaan I really dont need this shit to happen right now so fingers crossed :/

edit: grief that looks awful D:

DarkFlow

Banned
yes

idk, maybe cables were loose for some reason, tho it didnt seem that way. Maybe reinstalling drivers randomly fixed it.. so far 25 minutes into third boot up and im good

but maaaaaan I really dont need this shit to happen right now so fingers crossed :/

Well hope you got it fixed, I know how annoying something like that can be. If it still goes crazy later, I would just wipe and do a fresh OS install if you can.

SlickVic

Anyone know if Assassin's Creed III is available for Steam on Amazon? Didn't Tony say they were matching all of Steam's prices this sale?

They do have a Steam version on Amazon. Amazon had it for $13 earlier in the month, so I'd suggest waiting on a better deal if you can help it.

DarkFlow

Banned
I do seem to be having one problem with Windows 8.1. Every game I Alt+Tab away from to go to desktop, then Alt+tab back makes the game crash. It might be the AMD 8.1 Preview Driver, But IDK.

Stimpack

That was my impression initially, but some people did bring up that running on Windows 8 vs 7 caused notably more frame latency. No idea if that is still the case. Regardless, I prefer Windows 8 and have been able to run most games without issue, Bioshock (missing audio) and Hotline Miami (random crashing) notwithstanding.

I think everyone has to face the fact that nothing is absolutely perfect, and it never will be. The public outcry against Windows 8 was severely overblown to the point of it being disgusting, though. Anyway, I've spoken my peace about it about a million times before now, so I guess there's not much need to go into it. Point is, it's a fine OS and not a bad idea to upgrade.

That said, Windows 7 was great as well so it's not like you're really screwing yourself or anything.

bonesquad

After spending some time playing games I picked up this sale, I came to a few conclusions. Reus is great. I wasn't sure I'd like a god game, but Reus has more focus where I had a lot of fun playing. If you didn't grab it before, be sure to when it goes up as a repeat featured daily.

New Vegas also seems quite good. I've wanted to play a Fallout for awhile, and with everyone saying New Vegas was the better game I couldn't pass this up for so cheap. I didn't realize this was basically Fallout: The Western version. Cyberpunk and westerns are settings I can never get enough of.

On the flip side, Antichamber is a huge disappointment. I'm not sure why I had this so high on my wishlist. I don't recall why I added the game because I didn't really know much about it. I played for an hour and had enough. Huge regret. I definitely should have instead gotten Gunpoint or Swapper. At least I know the top games I'll get next sale:)

They need to hurry up and patch Last Light to resolve the Very High tessellation bug. Currently if you use that setting your frame gets cut to shreds. Went from a nearly constant 60 FPS to around 10-22 depending on the situation. Although some areas still run at 60

DarkFlow

Banned
I do seem to be having one problem with Windows 8.1. Every game I Alt+Tab away from to go to desktop, then Alt+tab back makes the game crash. It might be the AMD 8.1 Preview Driver, But IDK.

N/M, It's a known Issue with 8.1 in general. Lameness. Oh well at least I can play, I just can't Tab out.

N/M, It's a known Issue with 8.1 in general. Lameness. Oh well at least I can play, I just can't Tab out.

I alt/tab out of most games with 8.1 and face no issues. There are two games that I can't remember that sometimes don't load the video back but it was an issue with those titles with 8 as well.

One weird thing I've had happen a few times though is when I alt tab out the game remains in the background(acting as the desktop basically) and chrome, steam, etc on are on top of it.

Jomjom

Banned
Odd I bought Strike Suit Zero from the Steam app on my Android phone. I chose to add it into my inventory and it shows in my transaction history. But I just got home and checked in Steam and I don't see it anywhere. Anyone know what could be up?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Odd I bought Strike Suit Zero from the Steam app on my Android phone. I chose to add it into my inventory and it shows in my transaction history. But I just got home and checked in Steam and I don't see it anywhere. Anyone know what could be up?

Restart Steam and check your inventory. I didn't receive the Toki Tori 2+ coupons from Two Tribes until I restarted the client for some odd reason.

Jomjom

Banned
Restart Steam and check your inventory. I didn't receive the Toki Tori 2+ coupons from Two Tribes until I restarted the client for some odd reason.

I restarted Steam but nothing showed up, so I restarted my Steam App on the phone and now I got the game! Thanks!

All I know about it is what I saw from Giantbomb and Vinny's attempts at reaching space. Looked potentially neat but super early on in development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom