• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #4 - Thread 4!?!? for questions read OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Know I'm way late to this party, but yes. Boot times are absurdly fast (as everyone else has said), it's slightly snappier in general, faster to navigate, and generally better than Windows 7 if you can get past the start button issue. Oh, and you can make it look really cool:

Did you have to download each icon or are they already like that?

Weens

Neo Member
Nobody who wants their games to actually work willingly installs Windows 8 on their machine.

The only game I have had any issues with was GTA4 because it needed an older version of GFWL, which was fixed by installing the older version and then upgrading it again.

Start button easy to get back and the boot times are speedy.

How do you do that

Did you have to download each icon or are they already like that?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497663

Most of the icons I just grabbed logos for and dropped on a template in Photoshop because I'm lazy and don't have time to design something interesting for each one (I also love logo art). A few of them I borrowed from GAFfers in the thread I linked to. It's incredibly simple to do. If you don't want to go through any of that process and have it all customized precisely, you can also just pin programs and more to the start screen.

AlexBasch

I think I botched something with the Modbot. Maybe it's the hour but it's a fucking hassle.

So! Next two quotes get a copy of Just Cause.

A gem, I know.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
How hard is Rogue Legacy? I'm playing Dark Soul right now and might stop just because of how frustrated it makes me.

Ermac

Now, young Ermac... you... will die.

Honestly I think Dark Souls has some really dumb design decisions in the name of difficulty. Was thinking of making a thread about it and asking why everyone loves the challenge of it but hates something like Silver Surfer.

AlexBasch

Here's hoping Oblivion and Morrowind get a good discount, I even got a Xbox copy of Morrowind because it was ridiculously cheap and it's almost brand new, haha. Was a mess to play though. ):

-MD-

Honestly I think Dark Souls has some really dumb design decisions in the name of difficulty. Was thinking of making a thread about it and asking why everyone loves the challenge of it but hates something like Silver Surfer.

Dark Souls really isn't all that tough imo. Once you learn how to fight an enemy it's pretty simple.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
No Mortal Kombat in Germany!!!

mad-at-theinternet.gif

I hope you do make that thread so people can explain to you why that's a terrible comparison.

Looked at images, read "metroidvania", cancelled demo download, burned from memory
Tsk tsk tsk.

Ermac

Dark Souls really isn't all that tough imo. Once you learn how to fight an enemy it's pretty simple.

Yeah I agree. Just dumb things like how much of an annoyance it is to get a curse cursed (which was way worse pre-patch since they stacked).

There isn't anything that's insurmountable. The solutions to most of the problems you face are obvious.

Unless you're talking about Capra Demon which is pretty shit. As well as
Bed of Chaos

Ermac

I hope you do make that thread so people can explain to you why that's a terrible comparison.

I know it's a terrible comparison. I just think the difficulty can be seen as a negative by some which a lot of people don't point out.

There isn't anything that's insurmountable. The solutions to most of the problems you face are obvious.

Unless you're talking about Capra Demon which is pretty shit. As well as
Bed of Chaos

I really don't think Capra Demon is that bad, I beat him on my third try and my second on my pc playthough.

Bed of Chaos on the otherhand is flat out awful and seems almost random in whether you live or not.

Tellaerin

Is that the Oblivion/Skyrim update thing that they made not too long ago? Was tempted to look into that, but I literally pumped well over 100 hours into that game years ago.

You're talking about Morroblivion? I've been tempted to dig out my old Morrowind CD's and see about setting that up, but I'm still not done screwing around in stock Oblivion yet. It's on the eventual to-do list, though.

I really don't think Capra Demon is that bad, I beat him on my third try and my second on my pc playthough.

Bed of Chaos on the otherhand is flat out awful and seems almost random in whether you live or not.

Capra is bad in the sense that your inclination to be cautious when encountering the unfamiliar is what gets you killed. Unless you make for the stairs immediately you'll get stunlocked and die

tylerf

The first time I was actually thinking about getting some of the older TES games and they never go on sale (yet i suppose).

Any more pictures of the cutie?

My dog is sick so I'm feeling a bit down.

I haven't taken any pictures since so here's one I probably already linked :D

And mine is sick too :/ We aren't sure whether he came with it or whether he got it outside and is just weak due to being a puppy but he has a pretty nasty stomach virus. Not going to get into the grisly details but lots of baths have been given due to him not being the most coordinated puppy after relieving himself ;-;

Both of our dogs are on medicine though, the big one just in case she gets it.

I'm curious how people are approaching the badge meta-game of sorts. Obviously people who don't care will just sell their cards, but for the people who are just trying to boost their steam level I assume they focus on recrafting the easiest badges to in terms of total cards needed and individual rarity/cost. The completionists might try to get a single badge in every game they have, or perhaps they try to max out the badges for their favorite games.

There doesn't seem to be any benefit to crafting badges for lots of different games though, as each badge gives the same amount of xp, and your rate of booster pack drops is dependent on your steam level. I'd love to see the data Valve has on player behavior, I'm super curious to see how different players respond to the card and badge ecosystem.

Stimpack

You're talking about Morrowblivion? I've been tempted to dig out my old Morrowind CD's and see about setting that up, but I'm still not done screwing around in stock Oblivion yet. It's on the eventual to-do list, though.

Apparently I was talking about Morroblivion and Skywind. Now I know why I wasn't sure which one it was, because they've done both!

I completed all there was to complete in Morrowind (more or less) including the expansion stuff. I just can't go back into it. The only reason I would go through the trouble would be to see the new engine, and that's definitely not worth the time. It'd be awesome for people who haven't played it through, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom