• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Picking up Just Cause 2 for 3.75.

Any of the DLC guns worth it? I mean I know they're only a quarter, but, I still will hate myself if they just sit in my inventory

Yes, you need the Air Propulsion Gun.

The one downside is that it needs to be purchased from the vendor/Black Market, which requires you to have a decent amount of cash, and to earn cash you have to 'grind' a bit by destroying shit. Because of this, you don't get to use the higher end weapons nearly as often as you should since ammo is very limited. The game desperately needed cheats or unlockable free weapons, but that can probably be fixed with a mod.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just Cause 2 is amazing.

3GwMv.jpg

And I still haven't' finished the campaign.
May I ask you for the name (or link) of that skin? It's awesome.

Picking up Just Cause 2 for 3.75.

Any of the DLC guns worth it? I mean I know they're only a quarter, but, I still will hate myself if they just sit in my inventory

From the PS3 version so I know the PC version may not be as essential due to mods but I got the most use out of the Aerial Assault pack and also Rico's Signature Gun. The other ones I really didn't use much but I never got the monster truck so I can't vouch for that one.

Also, I know an above user recommended it due to the Air Propulsion Gun but I really can't support the Boom Pack, solely because only the Air Propulsion gun is particularly useful. The grenade launcher that comes with it and the rocket launcher really isn't particularly useful because you need to keep buying the weapon itself from the black market (which is aproblem with all the DLC weapons really). If you could get the Air Propulsion Gun on its own though I'd recommend it.

svegis

A quick and short PSA:

I was gifted a thing on Steam a couple of days ago, and when I tried to redeem it,
it gave me the notice of something like: "This item is invalid and may already have been redeemed..something something". I tried redeeming it yesterday, did not work, and I tried relogging, doing it on the web, deleting the usual things.

Today I asked the gifter what was up and if he prank'd me, but no, it was all fine on his end.
I tried to redeem it again, and then copy-paste the error message to him since we were going to take it up with support. The error message did not copy properly, and when I tried to redeem it again to get the message, the thing worked and it redeemed properly.
Weirdness, as I had done nothing prior to try in ways of fixing it!

For anyone that's been troubled by not being able to redeem gifts.

Tomodachi

Vote NFS, that game is awesome. Driver has the silliest story in a driving game I have ever seen. It's ok but I definitely don't get the GAF Hype/praise for that game.
Quoting this 100%, I grabbed it a couple weeks ago and didn't feel it at all. It's silly, and it has that burnout-esque plastic, light, arcade feeling about it I can't stand. I don't really know how to put it into words but it feels like a Crazy Taxi or something you'd only see in an arcade. I know it's not simulation but hell, really takes off all the pleasure of driving. I expected at leas some sort of physics and a solid feel about cars, like GTA4 has for example. I will play it some more but so far I'm totally not impressed.

I honestly didn't care much for JC2 the first time I played through it, but I think I have mods to blame for that. Trying out the super grappling hook and Superman mods just gave me too much mobility that it felt like I could zoom by everything. I need limitations, I need hardships.

So, I bought all the DLC and will try and replay it and fully soak it in, vanilla style. I'll use a controller this time around because I didn't dig the KB/M controls, mostly the throttling on mouselook.

ElyrionX

Ok so I'm looking at Company of Heroes. Which bundle should I get? Are the expansions worth it? They're 5 bucks each. Seems pricey compared to the main game.

Megasoum

Banned
Quoting this 100%, I grabbed it a couple weeks ago and didn't feel it at all. It's silly, and it has that burnout-esque plastic, light, arcade feeling about it I can't stand. I don't really know how to put it into words but it feels like a Crazy Taxi or something you'd only see in an arcade. I know it's not simulation but hell, really takes off all the pleasure of driving. I expected at leas some sort of physics and a solid feel about cars, like GTA4 has for example. I will play it some more but so far I'm totally not impressed.

Huh NFS is actually even more arcade than Driver... Driver is not trying to be realistic either but it's a ton of fun to drive. And yes the story is silly, that's the whole point and they totally assume it. It's meant to be like a 70s-80s tv cop show. I find the story actually better than many FPS/TPS games out there.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely. Could always try the demo if you're unsure.

TL2 preorder comes with a copy of TL1, fwiw.
Nope, I'm at work, so no way I could try it in the next 2 hours :(
Yes, I read about the TL2 preorder bonus, but $20 is really a lot for a game (well, 2 games) that I don't know if I'll like. For now I've decided to wait till Valve announces the next community sale winner, and if it's Driver SF I'll get it and pass on TL1, else I may grab it (or maybe i'll get both).

wazoo

yes, going down between steam and paypal give a lot of stress (a bit).

not buying everything at peak times is preferable.

ShaneB

Will recommend PixelVision as well, I finally switched recently and I love how slick everything is. Not that regular Steam has any glaring visual issues, but nothing wrong with different skins spicing things up!

I picked up Just Cause 2, should be a lot of fun, especially with the multiplayer mod making progress.

I voted for NFS as well, would pick that up.

BioHazard

Hot Pursuit and Driver are amazing. TDU2...not so much. Voted for Driver, more people need to play it...and still buy Hot Pursuit too! Both games were a nice surprise in a series that has been pretty mediocre.

LegoArmo

Anyone who has bought an EA game and might want it on Origin too, their email support is really good. They just ask for the CD keys and register them for you. Took about 2 hours to do.

Anyone who has bought an EA game and might want it on Origin too, their email support is really good. They just ask for the CD keys and register them for you. Took about 2 hours to do.

You know you can do this through Origin for (nearly) any game made since 2009, right? Don't think you need to contact support.

Bought Hot Pursuit from the Amazon sale. Question to existing owners of that game: Is it supposed to do cloud saves? I played some on my desktop and just installed on my laptop. I've logged in to EA/autolog/whatever but my progress is back to 0%.

HoosTrax

I really wish the Steam remote control would tell you how much hard drive space was remaining. When I left the house, I think I was at about 90-95% HDD usage on my Steam drive...I can't tell if I'd be able to install anything huge without running out of space.

Minor sidenote, but if you bought a hard copy of Unreal Tournament 3 back in the day, they retroactively added Steam activation for it (you can use the same key that was on the retail box).

Uh-oh. I have the same specs and am still downloading it, is it really that bad?

Specs don't matter. It's how they coded it...I have a 560 ti 448 CU and have the same issues. Textures don't render unless you look at them. So if you jerk around real quick you'll see them load. Even at 60fps. It's a little aannoying. I just accepted it.

Lets see... really want Driver, low interest in TDU2, own Hot Pursuit. Voted Driver.

Let me go ahead and post a spoiler on how the community vote will turn out, based on all previous community votes.

1. Hot Pursuit
2. TDU2
3. Driver

Does the steam version of Hot Pursuit support AntiAlias now?, I remember for the longest time EA just refused to update it, the game needs AA pretty bad and I could never get it to work because the Steam version is not patched...

Ok, GAF, I need to take on this seriously.

Serious_Dog.jpg

So far only boght:

Portal 2 (already beaten SP :S)
Sonic Generations DLC (first time I buy a isolated DLC, 1st time I buy an InDisk DLC).
Alan Wake Bundle
Prince of Persia 2008

15,75€

I probably will double dip GTA complete (fun fact it's here, in europe, GTAIV alone and GTA complete both cost 7,49€) even when I didn't opened the case of GTA IV I got gifted several years ago.

I had great times with Crackdown, a genre I don't like so much, but I got it due to GAF recommendations. It's Just Cause as fun as it? I hate the DLC thing, and it's holding me to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom