• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Blame SpaceDrake, I doubt anyone in Japan is pricing this.

I specifically said "devs" because I doubt EGS/Lizsoft didn't have an influential vote. ;) Seeing as CF is based in America, it would make perfect sense for the company to push for more a more generous offer (in regard to the bundle pricing), but that clearly hasn't happened.

to each his own. When I first played Stalker I gave up at the start, hated it.

When I decided to come back to it a random time it quickly became one of the best FPS games of all time for me. Probably top 5.

For you folks buying Stalker, Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat are both great, only buy Clear Sky if you're really into it.

And you'll want to get the corresponding "Complete Mod" for each game.

ASilva

Neo Member
ßthePenguin;40004462 said:
Hm? What happened there?

Prolly doesn't live in the US and got screwed by the regional pricing. It's 18% more expensive in € and 27% more expensive in the UK

Recettear is tempting after hearing good things, but I think I can pass for now. Maybe Winter Sale.

Sins: Trinity though will be mine - been on my wishlist. Rebellion is new and still expensive, and I'd rather try the original than spend the extra cash on the standalone expansion to find out I don't like it.

Thought about Stalker as well since I've wanted to try it, but I think I can pass on that for now as well.

Flash Deals are all recycled at the moment :(

SparkTR

So the Thief games hold up well, eh? This might sound silly since I'm sure it's not really the focus, but how is the story in those games?

The stories are fine, but the focus is on the pacing, story-telling and atmosphere. It's similar to Half-Life in that regard. There's also awesome animated story segments before each mission. I'm talking about Thief 1/2, Thief 3 is a bit different.

marrec

Banned
to each his own. When I first played Stalker I gave up at the start, hated it.

When I decided to come back to it a random time it quickly became one of the best FPS games of all time for me. Probably top 5.

I put in a about 15 hours in the first STALKER and enjoyed maybe 4 of those hours. The rest was just unenjoyable due to all the issues I listed above.

diffusionx

Gold Member
My personal opinion of STALKER is that you should skip it. The antiquated mechanics, poor gunplay, impossible interface, and general jankiness makes it dreadful to play. There are genuine moments of awesome gameplay to be had in STALKER, but to get there you have to wade through a pile of it's own mistakes.

Not to mention that even with the complete patch the game still ran like crap on my machine, and my machine is easily able to handle all newer games at very high graphics.

I bought the first STALKER and this was my experience as well. I really didn't like the game very much.

Remember the game was stuck in development hell for years and played like it.

From what I understand the sequels were more sidesteps than anything else. I love the concept but I don't think the STALKER games did it right.

Eh I generally like japanese games and jrpgs but something about those carpe games looks really..cheap to me.

They are doujin games, basically Japanese indie stuff, so yeah, they are low budget. Recettear is fun and the item shop stuff is interesting enough that I'd recommend it.

1-D_FTW

My personal opinion of STALKER is that you should skip it. The antiquated mechanics, poor gunplay, impossible interface, and general jankiness makes it dreadful to play. There are genuine moments of awesome gameplay to be had in STALKER, but to get there you have to wade through a pile of it's own mistakes.

Not to mention that even with the complete patch the game still ran like crap on my machine, and my machine is easily able to handle all newer games at very high graphics.

If that's your way of saying it's one of the greatest games ever made. Totally agree.

Danj

Bought Fortune Summoner and Chantelise. Thought about buying Sins: Rebellion but ultimately 25% off isn't cheap enough for me. Flash deals are repeats :/

mrgone

Deadly Shadows is the one everybody hates. get Thief 2.

Deadly Shadows is a pretty fantastic game. I think a lot of the negativity it received was lingering bad blood from Deus Ex: Invisible War. It wasn't nearly as simplified, and in my opinion Shalebridge Cradle is still one of the finest horror experiences in a video game this side of Amnesia!

marrec

Banned
If that's your way of saying it's one of the greatest games ever made. Totally agree.

I...

But...

Er...

I can see WHY people want to name it a great or even the best FPS. The way the world reacts to what you do is genuinely engaging and the world itself is like none other.

If only they'd built a competent game around that really solid core. :(

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
If I could only buy one of the Thief games, which one should I get?

Aaron

Why didn't they make it a Stardock pack and give deep discounts to their other games? Not a lot of people are going to buy something with only 25% off in this sale.

Second day in a row I'm disappointed in the daily deals.

I had a good time playing Stalker some years ago, but i had to stop because my PC wasnt good enough to provide a nice experience. Now i am buying the whole collection, really like the "feeling" and the "world" of that game...

I already know of some mods, that makes the graphics better... like the "Complete" one... my question is, what do you recommend me to install? wich mods? What is Stalker Vanilla?

Usually i am more concerned about gameplay, and so i like a lot some of the mechanics on these games... but i also like good graphics, as I sometimes give up playing old games that looks bad.

Put in moar!

Seriously, the game's not for everyone, but if you get hooked on unlocking new story paths and unveiling new items to sell in the shop, the replay value is quite sizable.
I've clocked about 17 hours thus far.

Almost 2 years

It's kind of blowing my mind. I remember buying it so distinctly; it was when it was part of a pack with a few other indie games for $5 and SpaceDrake was all sad because he felt like he 'devalued the IP™'

It's so vivid, yet it was 2 years ago and I only have 4 hours clocked in

Steam, you son of a bitch

Why didn't they make it a Stardock pack and give deep discounts to their other games? Not a lot of people are going to buy something with only 25% off in this sale.

Second day in a row I'm disappointed in the daily deals.
Everything else is discounted a ton, they just didn't advertise it. Sins Trinity is $5, for example ($10 during the sale normally).

Vamphuntr

One of that summer seal code I got is borked. It gives me a download for all the free crap on steam like trailers and demo.... Like 7 Millions Mb worth

boo hoo

TheExodu5

Banned

Couldn't disagree more. With the Complete patch the game looks and runs great. I've never experienced any major issues. The gunplay is one of the best parts of the game...you just can't expect a starting pistol to be very accurate, that's all.

Call of Pripyat is more approachable and has a better difficulty curve, though the original with Complete still has the best atmosphere of the bunch, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom