• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
2zn25.jpg

Buy Recettear!

Ultimadrago

Eh I generally like japanese games and jrpgs but something about those carpe games looks really..cheap to me.

Yes, the artstyle is pretty bland. The dialogue is charming though (can only speak for Recettear), if you can look past that (and a sub-par soundtrack) it can get pretty fun and hard to put down.

I'm not a big "demo" person. Yet in this case, I'd say the demo should make a good estimate of whether you'll like it or not. It'll introduce you the the mechanics, general style of dialogue and pace of the gameplay.

LiK

For people asking about Recettear, Chantelise, and Fortune Summoners:

All three are very different, with their title cluing into what they're about. All three are good though if the core mechanic looks good to you, as I can tell you all three execute their ideas very well and have a lot of charm and content, and each is pretty challenging.

Chantelise is a dungeon crawler where you have a focus on collecting gems for spells and combining them for stronger spells and executing them well. The combat is a more strategic hack'n'slash and requires strategy, with some pretty fun bosses.

Recettear has a focus on running an item shop and can be pretty addicting as you try to stock up, hire adventurers to raid dungeons (you control hired adventurers), barter, and more. Pretty fun and unique core mechanic.

Fortune Summoners is a platformer RPG that has a focus on summoning things to do various tasks for you and has more of a retro platformer feel to it with a fairly fun mechanic hook and RPG elements.

All three are worth your time if they look interesting to you, especially at this price.

great summary, will share with the internets

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just woke up to see that Need for Speed won.

Awwwww yeeeaaaahhhhh.

jono51

Banned
STALKER has RPG elements? How so?

-Sidequests to do (they aren't amazing but often leave you with a great story considering the AI system, atmosphere etc)

-Artifacts offer some bonuses to stats, e.g. increased weight carrying capacity, more resistance to damage from certain anomalies.

-Weapon upgrades. A little barebones in SoC, but quite a lot of options in Clear Sky & CoP.

-Misc rpg-esque stuff, e.g. unique weapons & armor sets in SoC which offer bonuses to certain stats, such as lightened editions of weapons etc. Reputation system for the factions present.

Its not a true RPG, but there are definite influences from RPGs in there.

Ketch

Anybody know what Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity adds? I have the original, and am considering upgrading for 4.99... but I can't figure out if it actually adds anything

-Sidequests to do (they aren't amazing but often leave you with a great story considering the AI system, atmosphere etc)

-Artifacts offer some bonuses to stats, e.g. increased weight carrying capacity, more resistance to damage from certain anomalies.

-Weapon upgrades. A little barebones in SoC, but quite a lot of options in Clear Sky & CoP.

-Misc rpg-esque stuff, e.g. unique weapons & armor sets in SoC which offer bonuses to certain stats, such as lightened editions of weapons etc. Reputation system for the factions present.

Its not a true RPG, but there are definite influences from RPGs in there.

And here I thought it was a pure FPS. Sounds a lot more interesting now. Should I start off with Shadow of Chernobyl?

vid

After blowing it off twice, I'm trying to reach a decision here... it's the Saints Row DLC Season Pass worth it? $5 for what looks like three missions?

inky

Wow, that AoEO pack is really crappy. I guess with the launch of their new model they stopped selling Civs altogether anywhere but inside their shit points store. Careful what you wish for, I guess. =/

robotnik

Aaand bought Bastion.

My very first steam sale. So far:

- Bastion,
- Ys Origin,
- Breath of Death VII,
- Cthulhu Saves the World,
- Binding of Isaac + DLC.

Plans:
- Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! SP,
- Scrathes,
- Ys: Oath in Felghana.

New to Steam and no friends, so please add me! Nickname: robotnikus.

marrec

Banned
So... stalker guys... Whole franchise worth it? Or just the newest one? Thoughts? Opinions? Help throw my monies away?

...gaben

My personal opinion of STALKER is that you should skip it. The antiquated mechanics, poor gunplay, impossible interface, and general jankiness makes it dreadful to play. There are genuine moments of awesome gameplay to be had in STALKER, but to get there you have to wade through a pile of it's own mistakes.

Not to mention that even with the complete patch the game still ran like crap on my machine, and my machine is easily able to handle all newer games at very high graphics.

That's my opinion, for the new page.

Everyone else will tell you to buy at least Shadow of Chernobyl and get the complete Mod.

beanman25

i'm thinking of picking up GTA complete pack, but is the older games (GTA III,VC,SA) playable today?

Yes they are! If you mean to they stand the test of time, they absolutely do! I started Vice City again because of this pack and have been having a blast. Then with San Andreas you can get the multiplayer mod for all sorts of crazy fun!

Popstar

Hey, just so no one gets confused: Carpe Fulgur is a localizer and publisher. They're not developers.

Recettear and Chantelise were developed by EasyGameStation, Fortune Summoners was developed by Lizsoft. They're not related and don't play the same way, so look closely before you buy.

For people asking about Recettear, Chantelise, and Fortune Summoners:

All three are very different, with their title cluing into what they're about. All three are good though if the core mechanic looks good to you, as I can tell you all three execute their ideas very well and have a lot of charm and content, and each is pretty challenging.

Chantelise is a dungeon crawler where you have a focus on collecting gems for spells and combining them for stronger spells and executing them well. The combat is a more strategic hack'n'slash and requires strategy, with some pretty fun bosses.

Recettear has a focus on running an item shop and can be pretty addicting as you try to stock up, hire adventurers to raid dungeons (you control hired adventurers), barter, and more. Pretty fun and unique core mechanic.

Fortune Summoners is a platformer RPG that has a focus on summoning things to do various tasks for you and has more of a retro platformer feel to it with a fairly fun mechanic hook and RPG elements.

All three are worth your time if they look interesting to you, especially at this price.
Just to add since I went and searched for them:
Chantelise GAF thread
Racettear GAF thread
Fortune Summoners GAF thread

Wtf...

Just wanted to charge my steamwallet, paysafecard says "Paid, redirecting you back to steam" (something like that)...
Then on steam it says: "There was an error. Please contact Steam support."

I did...

How long it usually takes for them to answer, especially on sales-time??? I just wanted to buy Chantelise and Fortune Summoner...

1-D_FTW

It improved my framerate from 15fps to 23fps.

:p

Apparently some people didn't have a problem with the frame rate though.

Most people don't have issues assuming they have a remotely decent video card.

I do remember there was something that had to be done the first time I booted it up, but that was the only issue I ever had.

Something was clearly wrong with a driver or you had some weird conflict going on. Because if you can run all games on very high like you said, STALKER Complete should have run like butter for you.

Merguson

Banned
Thinking of getting the Thief Bundle, Total War pack, and Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity.

Is Trinty suppose to be a collection of games? If so what games?

Also, I never played Total War, should i just get the older ones to save some money and get the newer ones later if I like it? Or just buy everything?

Sothpaw

i'm thinking of picking up GTA complete pack, but is the older games (GTA III,VC,SA) playable today?

GTA III, VC and SA are all so much better on PC than console it's not even funny. The graphics and controls make the games feel a generation ahead of the console versions.

Killer

Banned
Yes they are! If you mean to they stand the test of time, they absolutely do! I started Vice City again because of this pack and have been having a blast. Then with San Andreas you can get the multiplayer mod for all sorts of crazy fun!

good to hear. I'm might pick it up now. thanks!

GTA III, VC and SA are all so much better on PC than console it's not even funny. The graphics and controls make the games feel a generation ahead of the console versions.

OK, now i'm sold. BOUGHT!

metalshade

This is my first steam sale, so I am not sure how this works.
Some offers say they end on the 23rd.
Does that mean I need to buy them by 23:59 on the 22nd, or by 23:59 on the 23rd itself?

Celegus

Thinking of getting the Thief Bundle, Total War pack, and Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity.

Is Trinty suppose to be a collection of games? If so what games?

Also, I never played Total War, should i just get the older ones to save some money and get the newer ones later if I like it? Or just buy everything?

I'm not the most qualified person to respond to this, but I would just get the Total War game with the setting that interests you the most (for me, Shogun 2). They're all hugely deep games but rather similar, so if you end up not liking one, you're probably not going to like any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom