• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Hey, just so no one gets confused: Carpe Fulgur is a localizer and publisher. They're not developers.

Recettear and Chantelise were developed by EasyGameStation, Fortune Summoners was developed by Lizsoft. They're not related and don't play the same way, so look closely before you buy.

My personal opinion of STALKER is that you should skip it. The antiquated mechanics, poor gunplay, impossible interface, and general jankiness makes it dreadful to play. There are genuine moments of awesome gameplay to be had in STALKER, but to get there you have to wade through a pile of it's own mistakes.

Not to mention that even with the complete patch the game still ran like crap on my machine, and my machine is easily able to handle all newer games at very high graphics.

Do. Not. Listen. To. This. Man.

I played Stalker for the first time ever this summer. I have no nostalgia for it at all. I DID however use the Stalker complete mod which makes the game look beautiful and makes some smart gameplay changes (sleeping bag for passing time, ability to sell/trade with anyone etc.).

In my opinion it is better than Fallout 3 and I played Fallout 3 for 80 hours. The AI is dynamic and fantastic. You never know what a wild dog will do. Sometmes they run away. Sometimes gun fire will scare them. Sometimes (more often when they are in packs) they are merciless, ferocious. And watching the human AI interact with the monster AI is great too. I once chased a herd of wild boars down into a bandit camp and comoleted my mission while the chaos ensued.

Dont misunderstand. The combat is hard and requires strategy. You cannot circle strafe your way to victory. You must use cover, shoot at a distance when possible, flank enemies, look for targets by themselves etc. It foes get signifcantly easier by mid game though when you get good weapons with scopes.

The best comparison I could make is take Fallout 3 world and mix it with Rainbow Six combat (with better AI) and you have an idea what you are in for.

Just start with the base game, though, for $5 (Shadows of Chernobyl). It is the best and yoy can always oick up the others later.

Personal recommendation is to grab the STALKER pack. At £5.19, hands down the deal of the day for me, a good 50p less than buying the "good" STALKER games individual so why not? Honourable mentions for the Carpe Fulgur collection (75% off individually, £8.06 for the lot), Super Meat Boy (three quid), and the Thief games (£1.74 a pop, £4.74 for the lot).

Today is strange. Everyone seems to know where to go and I'm just standing with question marks over my head lol - I don't know any of these games.

Risgroo

Are Empire/Napoleon TW worth getting? Will definitely pick up Medieval and Rome, if Empire is worth it I'll get the bundle.

Uthred

Whats Sins of Solar Empire:Trinity like for singleplayer? Is it a story or is basically skirmishes akin to something like Endless Space?

Hey, just so no one gets confused: Carpe Fulgur is a localizer and publisher. They're not developers.

Recettear and Chantelise were developed by EasyGameStation, Fortune Summoners was developed by Lizsoft. They're not related and don't play the same way, so look closely before you buy.
Good to know.

Couldn't disagree more. With the Complete patch the game looks and runs great. I've never experienced any major issues. The gunplay is one of the best parts of the game...you just can't expect a starting pistol to be very accurate, that's all.

Call of Pripyat is more approachable and has a better difficulty curve, though the original with Complete still has the best atmosphere of the bunch, IMO.

Yeah, like an RPG you start with crap equipment with terrible accuracy. But this is good for teaching you how to play strategically. I easily was killed 6 or 8 times by those 5 bandits in the first mission. But I learned.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For people asking about Recettear, Chantelise, and Fortune Summoners:

All three are very different, with their title cluing into what they're about. All three are good though if the core mechanic looks good to you, as I can tell you all three execute their ideas very well and have a lot of charm and content, and each is pretty challenging.

Chantelise is a dungeon crawler where you have a focus on collecting gems for spells and combining them for stronger spells and executing them well. The combat is a more strategic hack'n'slash and requires strategy, with some pretty fun bosses.

Recettear has a focus on running an item shop and can be pretty addicting as you try to stock up, hire adventurers to raid dungeons (you control hired adventurers), barter, and more. Pretty fun and unique core mechanic.

Fortune Summoners is a platformer RPG that has a focus on summoning things to do various tasks for you and has more of a retro platformer feel to it with a fairly fun mechanic hook and RPG elements.

All three are worth your time if they look interesting to you, especially at this price.

Damn, I've been itching for a Stealth game in a while, but I want Fallout: New Vegas, hoping it to appear again. If I get Thief, I won't be able to buy Fallout.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

All three are very different, with their title cluing into what they're about. All three are good though if the core mechanic looks good to you, as I can tell you all three execute their ideas very well and have a lot of charm and content, and each is pretty challenging.

Chantelise is a dungeon crawler where you have a focus on collecting gems for spells and combining them for stronger spells and executing them well. The combat is a more strategic hack'n'slash and requires strategy, with some pretty fun bosses.

Recettear has a focus on running an item shop and can be pretty addicting as you try to stock up, hire adventurers to raid dungeons (you control hired adventurers), barter, and more. Pretty fun and unique core mechanic.

Fortune Summoners is a platformer RPG that has a focus on summoning things to do various tasks for you and has more of a retro platformer feel to it with a fairly fun mechanic hook and RPG elements.

All three are worth your time if they look interesting to you, especially at this price.

Thanks, great post. :)

Nert

Finally, a day where there's nothing that I feel compelled to buy for myself. I did send out gift copies of Super Meat Boy and Bastion, though. Feels good :D

Buy Recettear! It's a steal at that price!

If you like RPGs at all then you'll at least appreciate the novel twist it takes on the genre.

It's one of the most surprisingly enjoyable games I've played in years.

Hot Pursuit is the good recent one correct? If you had to pick, would NFS:HP be okay or should I wait for Burnout Paradise?

Yay Binding is 75% off again! Not making that mistake again. Bought.

marrec

Banned
Couldn't disagree more. With the Complete patch the game looks and runs great. I've never experienced any major issues. The gunplay is one of the best parts of the game...you just can't expect a starting pistol to be very accurate, that's all.

Call of Pripyat is more approachable and has a better difficulty curve, though the original with Complete still has the best atmosphere of the bunch, IMO.

I'm not sure if it was just my computer or what, but even with the Complete Mod I couldn't get a decent framerate. That probably colored my opinion of the gunplay which, even after 15 hours and multiple guns, was poor.

I put a few hours into Call of Pripyat and while it provided obvious improvment to the original. I'd had such a bad taste in my mouth from the original that I couldn't continue playing.

Do. Not. Listen. To. This. Man.

I played Stalker for the first time ever this summer. I have no nostalgia for it at all. I DID however use the Stalker complete mod which makes the game look beautiful and makes some smart gameplay changes (sleeping bag for passing time, ability to sell/trade with anyone etc.).

In my opinion it is better than Fallout 3 and I played Fallout 3 for 80 hours. The AI is dynamic and fantasic. You never know what a wild dog will do. Sometmes they run away. Sometimes gun fire will scare them. Sometimes (more often when they are in packs) they are merciless, ferocious. And watching the human AI interact with the monster AI is great too. I once chased a herd of wild boars down into a bandit camp and comoleted my mission while the chaos ensued.

Dont misunderstand. The combat is hard and requires strategy. You cannot circle strafe your way to victory. You must use cover, shoot at a distance when possible, flank enemies, look for targets by themselves etc.

The best comparison I could make is take Fallout 3 world and mix it with Rainbow Six combat (with better AI) and you have an idea what you are in for.

Just start with the base game, though, for $5 (Shadows of Chernobyl). It is the best and yoy can always oick up the others later.

I know this opinion is not going to be popular but I'm just warning potential buyers. Not only does Shadow of Chernobyl need a FAN MADE Mod to even be able to run on most machines, it is not all full of difficult combat punctuated by emergent gameplay that makes you feel brilliant. It's mostly long walks through bland looking environments to groups of enemies who aren't very smart and plagued by numerous bugs along the way.

(Example: A character I needed to talk to would not get out of combat despite there being no enemies for miles in any direction. Eventually I just had to reload a save and give it another try. The second time he someone got a dog stuck in a wall where neither of us could shoot him and would not exit combat again.)

You may have fun with it and for 5 dollars you won't be burned too bad, but be warned, it's not a polished experience in the least.

Gibbo

With mods it's one of my favourite TW games, so I say yes.
Thanks. Bought.

GAF, this is what I got for 60 USD so far since the start of the sale. How did I do?

C7jUY.jpg

Hot Pursuit is the good recent one correct? If you had to pick, would NFS:HP be okay or should I wait for Burnout Paradise?

Yay Binding is 75% off again! Not making that mistake again. Bought.
You can't really go wrong with either of those games. I prefer Hot Pursuit but they're both great. Hot Persuit probably takes a bit longer to unlock the great stuff though.

therapist

Bioshock 2 and bastion picked up today.
Im not even huge on rpgs , or action rpgs but it looks cool.

(already have bioshock 1 retail on pc)

Enco

Flash > daily > votes

Shame everything is a repeat in the flash and votes now. We've seen games 3 times over now.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm not sure if it was just my computer or what, but even with the Complete Mod I couldn't get a decent framerate. That probably colored my opinion of the gunplay which, even after 15 hours and multiple guns, was poor.

FWIW I had no issue running it on my Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz and 8800GT back when it came out. Perfect 60fps with static lighting.

It has inventory management. Different armor attributes. Artifacts that give different buffs. It's not a true RPG, but it embraces the school of design that the original Deus Ex was going down.

It's more like Fallout 3 with strictly real time combat because it is open world with side quests, gear upgrades, trading etc.

feel

As the tiles loaded:

"Aww c'mon, a bunch of crap agaiZOMG THIEF AND STALKER!!!"

Buying both complete series, can't wait to get myself into these pc classics. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Less than 60% off on a Daily Deal should be illegal.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom