• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like Mass Effect 2, where the combat sequences were so predictable and formulaic. Any time you came up on a random stack of crates, you just knew that there was a scripted "enemies pour forth" event coming up.
I guess it does sound like that. The game is not really terrible or low quality. It just becomes predictable...

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm still waiting on fucking DKS to go on sale for at least 75% off. Come the fuck on.

I'm in the STALKER HATE CLUB as well, but it's one of those games that I kinda encourage folks to still try (especially for $3.74) and see what they think themselves. It does a lot of really cool and really original things and I'd love to reward it for that, but it was just to dang janky for me. Bugs and glitches all over the place, even with the newest Complete mod. And honestly I found the AI for the combat encounters to be pretty poor. The guns felt good but enemies kept reacting oddly, getting stuck in logic loops or just poorly chasing after me for most of the wildlife. Very fetch questy as well.

You don't deserve to play STALKER.

STALKER FOREVER

Call of Pripyat anyways

Kaladin

The damage so far......and I pray the final total.

Assassin's Creed Pack = $34.99
Cities XL 2012 = $9.99
Dead Island Complete = $16.99
Eschalon: Book I = $2.49
Eschalon: Book II = $3.74
L.A. Noir: The Complete Edition = $7.49
Saints Row: The Third Franchise Pack = $24.99
The Walking Dead = $14.99
The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition = $15.99
Total = $131.66

SparkTR

Anyone know how well the Thief games work without much trouble Windows 7? Only reason being the GOG versions are made to work whereas steam is spotty when it comes to older games working on modern systems.

Steam is the same as gog. Though I recommend downloading the latest version of the ddfix (fan-made patch) and applying it yourself, since by default Steam doesn't allow high resolutions for some reason.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Arkham City's DX11 renderer still buggered from a performance perspective? (GTX 570 here.)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OMG YES! Super Meat Boy discounted :D Buying it NOW!

Wow, after seeing the lists of what you all have gotten, I feel greedy/like a sucker for how much I spent on the dailies/flash deals, haha.

I spent $188.65 --

Alan Wake Franchise
Assassin's Creed II
Bastion
Crusader Kings II
Darksiders
Dead Island
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Double Fine Collection (Costume Quest, Psychonauts, Stacking)
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout New Vegas
Just Cause 2
L.A. Noire
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
Legend of Grimrock
Limbo
Metro 2033
Mirror's Edge
Monkey Island Pack
Orcs Must Die!
Saints Row: The Third
Sid Meier's Civilization IV with expansions
Sid Meier's Civilization V standalone
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Trine 2
Vessel
The Walking Dead
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition

And I'm thinking about getting STALKER & Binding of Isaac! Why does Gaben torment me so?

If any US Gaffer is planning on buying Reccetear right now please buy NFS: Hot Pursuit as a gift instead. We'll trade with my copy of Reccetear with NFS.

For some reason the moment it hit 75% off they raised the price of the game in my region to $49.99 instead of $19.99. Thanks.
I'll add you.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Hmm. Either get Nap Wars for 5, or get the Total War Pack despite pretty much owning everything Total War but Nap and DLC for Empire (and never having played any of my Total War games for more than a few minutes) because it comes out to 13-something instead of 12.49. Why is this a thing in my brain.

With Stalker is the entire collection worth it or is there just one game I should grab?

Dont get the bundle, as Clear Sky isnt that good and the bundle is crappy (no savings). First buy Shadow of Chernobyl (the EU version is the cheapest). Then buy Call of Pripyat after you registered Shadow of Chernobyl (cheapest in US) to qualify for the loyalty promo.

Anyone know how well the Thief games work without much trouble Windows 7? Only reason being the GOG versions are made to work whereas steam is spotty when it comes to older games working on modern systems.

I have a Windows 7 machine and can play Deadly Shadows without any issue but looking at the steampowered user forum for Thief, looks like the Steam versions of Thief 1&2 don't work.

BadAss2961

Saints Row 3 is pretty demanding. Looks soooo good in areas that I get 60fps... I'd love to be able to play the whole game like that.

So GAF help me here with Thief:
1. If Im going to get only one, which is the best and why?
2. If that one is for example Thief 1, from 1998, wouldnt it be too dated in playing options (and graphical wise also), or its more complex than the new ones?

EDIT Seems that Thief 1 and 2 have problems with windows 7. So how is Thief 3 then?

Nelo Ice

Banned
I have a Windows 7 machine and can play Deadly Shadows without any issue but looking at the steampowered user forum for Thief, looks like the Steam versions of Thief 1&2 don't work.

Yeah that's what I'm seeing to. Figured Thief 1 and 2 would have problems.

edit:Well sounds like the fan mods/patches get it working even on the Steam version.

Ordinator

Is Dead Space 2 worth getting? Is it better then the first game?

It's amazing, and IMO better than the first. It's a little more actiony than the first if I'm remembering correctly. Hardcore mode was super scary and fun at the same time. I had a blast with Dead Space 2.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Um... I'm very interested in Age of Empires Online... but can you play it... Offline XD? Like, is there a campaign?

Enco

Wow, after seeing the lists of what you all have gotten, I feel greedy/like a sucker for how much I spent on the dailies/flash deals, haha.

I spent $188.65 --

Alan Wake Franchise
Assassin's Creed II
Bastion
Crusader Kings II
Darksiders
Dead Island
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout New Vegas
Just Cause 2
L.A. Noire
Legend of Grimrock
Limbo
Metro 2033
Mirror's Edge
Monkey Island Pack
Orcs Must Die!
Trine 2
Vessel
The Walking Dead

And I'm thinking about getting STALKER & Binding of Isaac! Why does Gaben torment me so?
Did you have no games to start with?

That's a bargain considering the non sale prices but there are so many fucking games.

Did you have no games to start with?

That's a bargain considering the non sale prices but there are so many fucking games.

I've been doing nothing but Blizzard games/League of Legends/Skyrim for the past several years, so I've missed out on a lot of gaming history, heh.

Enfinit

Damage so far:

- Amnesia: The Dark Descent........ $4.99
- Trine 1+2.................................. $9.99
- Knights of the Old Republic......... $2.49
- LIMBO...................................... $2.49
- Bastion..................................... $3.74

Also looking at Cave Story, From Dust, VVVVVV, Torchlight, and Super Meat Boy. Anyone have anything to talk me into buying these? Cave Story looks similar to Metroid, VVVVVV looks interesting, Torchlight looks like a pretty Diablo, and SMB looks like it'll make me rage. Hesitant to pull the trigger on these, but a lot of people cream their panties and recommend them.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

I spent $188.65 --

Alan Wake Franchise
Assassin's Creed II
Bastion
Crusader Kings II
Darksiders
Dead Island
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout New Vegas
Just Cause 2
L.A. Noire
Legend of Grimrock
Limbo
Metro 2033
Mirror's Edge
Monkey Island Pack
Orcs Must Die!
Trine 2
Vessel
The Walking Dead

I actually spent more than I would have liked to. I had to start telling myself that a lot of these games will be in the Winter sale and I should just wait and play these games until then. I'm going to be getting Skyrim in the Winter sale for sure.

If anyone is on the fence for Dear Esther.

Buy it.

Played it last night, made a Let's Play (more like a Let's Watch) out of it, and it was really fun to play. The story had me confused at all points, but after I "beat" it for the first time, I played it again and understood a lot more about it.

The environments are gorgeous, narrator's voice is heavenly, the ending is amazing, and overall, was very, very well done.

I had the game maxed out on every detail on 1080p, and took TONS of screenshots, for no other reason than to justify how beautiful the game is.

Although the sale for it ended, it's still well worth the original $10.00 price.

I bought stalker during the last sale. I don't like it. It's a lot of running around and a lot of loading. For an older game it runs like garbage on newer machines.
Yes see! Thank you, this guys knows what's up.

*STALKER HATE CLUB*
I'm in the STALKER HATE CLUB as well, but it's one of those games that I kinda encourage folks to still try (especially for $3.74) and see what they think themselves. It does a lot of really cool and really original things and I'd love to reward it for that, but it was just to dang janky for me. Bugs and glitches all over the place, even with the newest Complete mod. And honestly I found the AI for the combat encounters to be pretty poor. The guns felt good but enemies kept reacting oddly, getting stuck in logic loops or just poorly chasing after me for most of the wildlife. Very fetch questy as well.
I used to be in the STALKER hate gang as well, but since then the way I approach games has changed considerably. It's very much like Far Cry 2 in that the game is less about approaching it like a typical one of going through the quests and hammering out the storyline and more about doing your own thing and seeing the systems of the game mesh in interesting ways.

It's very much a game where you just go in and make your own story from your interactions.

Tess3ract

Banned
It's weird seeing community picks but the choice never manages to break the top 21 top sellers list =\

A lot of people are voting for other people and already have it. Unfortunately they're voting so their friends pick it up, not for the one they may actually want.

When that does happen, the votes are more evenly tied.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I didn't really dig the first STALKER game... felt extremely unpolished... not just in terms of bugs, but in terms of shoddy game design.

Clear Sky sucked.

Call of Pripyat was fucking brilliant. I loved that game to death. It achieved everything the previous two games wanted to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom