• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBalfredo

I'm eyeing the Thief collection. I've never played it, but I know it's well recieved. It's made by the good Ion Storm, right? The one that made Dues Ex (which I love) and not the one that made Daikatana? Is there one which is a must own, or is the whole trilogy worth it? Do the older ones still hold up?

Has this already been discussed?

OEwp8.png

Lancehead

I'm eyeing the Thief collection. I've never played it, but I know it's well recieved. It's made by the good Ion Storm, right? The one that made Dues Ex (which I love) and not the one that made Daikatana? Is there one which is a must own, or is the whole trilogy worth it? Do the older ones still hold up?

Looking Glass Studios created Thief, made Thief 1 and 2. Ion Storm developed the third game and Deus Ex.
The same Ion Storm also developed Daikatana. Yes, it was different studio.

As for if they hold up, I quote myself:

I'd say they hold up pretty well. The only issue I have with those games with regards to controls is occasional to rare platforming sections. As for the game mechanics, they're nothing but dated. Brilliant use of visuals and sound design that forms the framework for stealth. The NPC/enemy models and animations look rather comical, but that shouldn't be an issue affecting gameplay.

I find Thief 1's zombie levels frustrating since stealth doesn't quite work due to poor level design. Other than that the level design is great. The map function could also be better.

Thief 2 is what you'd expect from a proper sequel. This game has some of the best level design I've seen in any game, and such design doesn't age.

Thief 3 is a good game but regressed in some ways, mainly level design. The levels are disappointingly small and the hub system is not very well implemented.

So if you're set on buying just one game, I'd say Thief 2.

steadfast

RPG, strategy, puzzle, adventure, action-adventure

Strategy - Company of Heroes complete, without a doubt best bang for buck, I'd say.

Limbo is a great indie puzzler and a good 2-3hour experience for $2.50

Bastion is a winner in the action-adventure category as well

GTA IV Liberty City Stories is great if you haven't played it already

ImRight

I am now at $242 spent. How did this happen!!? At least it was all Steam credit from selling my console stuff at Gamestop but my god! New pc gamer here so I guess I have an excuse.

Lol, Right there with ya dude Just bought a new pc 6 months agp... First steam sale, Chalk me up For $250, and its still not over >.<

Thinking about going and selling my 360 tomorrow...

Anyone have ANY reason to Keep my console? (360)??

Damn i just got an email from steam:

Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

Steam account name: ....

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember your password, click on the "Retrieve lost account" button on the Steam login screen.

Is someone trying to hack my account?

PBalfredo

So whats up with Bastion? Good?

Very, very good.

Solid action. Lot's of weapons to use, all of which stay useful due to branching upgrades. Tells a good story via narration as you play, so you get plenty of story without intrusive cutscenes. Narrator also comments on your gameplay, but never repeats himself. There's a new game + and a create-your-own-hard-mode. Great visuals and a fantastic soundtrack.

Fodder76

Looking Glass Studios created Thief, made Thief 1 and 2. Ion Storm developed the third game and Deus Ex.
The same Ion Storm also developed Daikatana.

As for if they hold up, I quote myself:

To answer the previous question, yes there were two Ion Storms, Dallas and Austin. Dallas was the original that made Daikatana and Anachronox. Ion Storm Austin was the one that Warren Spector headed up, and they made Deus Ex 1, 2, and Thief 3.

Just got round to playing Dear Esther and I am experiencing weird frame rate hitches. It's running at a solid 60 but every 5 seconds it will skip, anyone else have this issue?

Goldrush

Can anyone explain the AOE Online pack in context of the game? Been avoiding F2P games, but if the pack would erase the timesinks of the genre, I might consider it.

How's the emulation on the Steam versions of the Sega Genesis games versus the Wii VC versions? I'm debating on whether or not to get some of those over the weekend.

Dunlop

I am tying not to spend more than $5 a day now

Bastion or Sins of a Solar Empire Trilogy

..I know they are not even remotely similar

ARG!!!

Tess3ract

Banned
Anyone interested in S.T.A.L.K.E.R: SoC should take the plunge now that's dirt cheap.

The best way to describe it is this: it's a survival simulator. It's not for everyone, but it's a game everyone should experience. I liken it to the Souls games; not be because they are anything like the Souls series in terms of design, mechanics or aesthetics; rather because they have an inherent hostility that is always a part of the environment, and because both respect the player as a rational agent and trust him/ her to overcome the challenges the game throws out. And like the Souls series, the game will punish you for being reckless, and it will reward you for being deliberate, methodical and observant in your approach.

It does differ from the Soul series in that, unlike the former, which are polished to perfection and lovingly hand-crafted to the last delicious detail, S.T.A.L.K.E.R is kind of rough. It's actually quite rough, and if you are familiar with the term "Euro-jank", well, you know what I'm talking about, but there are ways around that.

Give it a shot. It might yet make men out of you.
Demon souls is pretty not that polished :\

It's polished for a console game but it's lacking a lot of features that aren't there because it's a console game.

Lancehead

To answer the previous question, yes there were two Ion Storms, Dallas and Austin. Dallas was the original that made Daikatana and Anachronox. Ion Storm Austin was the one that Warren Spector headed up, and they made Deus Ex 1, 2, and Thief 3.

Right, I stand corrected.

LiK

summerseal is fucking broken for me. i'm losing spins cuz it won't rotate the seals and i have to refresh. whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom