• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm considering LA Noire. What's the verdict on that? I know a lot of people don't like it but I'm not sure why? Could someone post some pros and cons?
LA Noire is just really shallow in implementation, runs poorly even on good rigs (poorly here meaning locked to 30fps, and if you patch it to 60fps even on great systems it still dips to 30 randomly for no reason which shouldn't happen, also it fucks up car driving because it's locked to fps speed, another example of shit/lazy coding)

I mean thematically it's cool, but it's just kind of boring and shallow. The face animation is cool but IDK, I got this for $7.50 and I couldn't imagine having to pay $60 for this.

I am playing on the PC there is no controller option. Unless you mean Y on the right side of the keyboard lol..a bit far.
You're new to PC games huh?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's fun for a while, but don't think that you'll beat it unless you're really into playing the same formula over and over and over.

It's a really fascinating game, but the story isn't engrossing enough to keep you going throughout, since there are only a small variety of gameplay elements to the game.

It's definitely worth the $5, because it'll give you a few hours of fun for sure. The game, however, is far too long, tedious, and monotonous after a point. Everyone's breaking point is different, though.

Sounds about right. I don't think it's as offensively bad as some people suggest. It's ambitious, and it does a few things right, but I did grow tired of it after the first 4 or 5 hours. After awhile cases begin to feel routine, and it became more and more clear that I had no say in what happened, but until the illusion broke it was pretty darn fun. I agree that it's worth a try at five.

RMB = Right Mouse Button

My bad, sometimes I make the mistake of assuming everyone knows the standard lingo for this kind of thing. And I say that without any sarcasm or condescension.

Ketch

I'm considering LA Noire. What's the verdict on that? I know a lot of people don't like it but I'm not sure why? Could someone post some pros and cons?

+Good Story (for a game), Some truly great cases to be solved there.
+Nailed the 50's atmosphere
+Innovative interrogation game play, nothing else like it available
+amazing tech

-repetitive
-lacking side content for an "open world" game
-lousy action sequences

+ or - It's a really great adventure game... and a super not fun GTA style game, so as long as you purchase it knowing what to expect you'll be fine

If you had to choose one: Napoleon Total War or Rome?

They are all about as good as each other and great value. Really there isn't much to say. You probably only need one, and you can safely take your pick based on preference. Then you can play it for like 'forever' if you like.

Kaladin

04iYl.jpg

:( indeed.

Damn, I want Skyrim but the sale is ending in 4 hours and the only way I could have gotten it is if I got some Steam cards with Gamestop credit that I have, but of course... Gamestop is closed!

I really need to stop procrastinating decisions.

Lingitiz

For me it started off incredibly strong. The cases got gradually more and more interesting until about halfway through the game. From that point on I had lost all interest, and realized that the gameplay they had shown up till that point was all it had to offer. It became incredibly repetitive and downright boring. I can only think of one high point to the game, but the payoff at that point turned me off so much that I could barely slog through the rest of the game. The open world had no business even being in that game. That said, they really nailed the noire atmosphere, even though there wasn't much to do in it.

I'd recommend people play it because it will help you understand whether or not you like this type of game going forward. Just don't go in expecting something that will rock your world.

Tess3ract

Banned
I am ashamed to admit I own all the Total Wars but never been able to play more than 1-2 missions of it before I get bored and play something else.

I like the theme but the gameplay is just kind of....dunno. it should be tactical, I know what counters what but I wish it was a little bit less based in realism. Like sprinting troops makes them fatigued, so you can't make them sprint that much unless you only use it at the last minute and fast forward a ton while they walk.

Salsa

probably gonna torrent the shit out of the Harley Quinn DLC. Im sure that version will work like a charm and be 10 times more user friendly.

Cant believe I wasted my money on another GFWL fiasco.

Sarcasm

Do you have a quad core cpu?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1328904

Let me know if it works

Weird I have a quad core and the game works flawlessly.

Batman AA and AC have full 360 pad support. Plug and play.

Humm I assumed AA didn't since its not listed on the store page.

RMB = Right Mouse Button

Well derp I been using my controller a lot last few days (I been downloading all my games since I built a new desktop that is capable of playing my library) so I am auto controller mode...plus its sitting here and I see Y on it haha!.

I am ashamed to admit I own all the Total Wars but never been able to play more than 1-2 missions of it before I get bored and play something else.

I like the theme but the gameplay is just kind of....dunno. it should be tactical, I know what counters what but I wish it was a little bit less based in realism. Like sprinting troops makes them fatigued, so you can't make them sprint that much unless you only use it at the last minute and fast forward a ton while they walk.

There are mods to fix all that...but yeah I have to agree. I want to love them, but I've never really put in the time. I normally do one big battle, love it, but then realise I would have to do the same thing like 1000 more times and battles are not short. So I turn battles off, which makes me wonder why I am bothering.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
wait, what? they've never had a flash sale shorter than 6 hours :(

Steam stop changing the rules of the game on us >_<
Wow, I thought people were jokingly talking about "hidden" flash sales just as a way to promote games that dropped to 75% off. I feel like I need to be checking my wishlist more often. :(

Also aww, Not Dustforce on flash sale again. Curse these repeats, I'm going to bed!

Did anyone else get a "Game Content Conversion" on Portal 2 lately?

Damn, I was going to play multiplayer and this thing didn't let me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Humm I assumed AA didn't since its not listed on the store page.

The Steam store pages aren't very reliable. In most cases, modern multiplatform games support the 360 pad, unless they're Call of Duty or Bioware games. But you can always ask in here about it and get like 5 responses within a minute. This thread is busy.

What should I vote for GAF?

Doesn't matter who you vote for, as long as you vote against Fable 3.

I may be late to the part on this one, but are there Steam games that require GFWL? If so, please don't tell me Street Fighter AE is one of them.

Sorry, from what I've read it's a steam+gfwl double drm whammy. What confounds me is the way they handle DLC in this situation since if you go into the game via steam then see that there's some DLC on the gfwl marketplay and purchase it... you just wasted your money because only steam bought DLC works on the steam version of the game, but if that's the case then why do they need gfwl in there? Are developers using it as a quick fix for online matchmaking or something?

I hope developers stop using silly gfwl abandonware.

bigace33

I put over 100 hours into Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition. Great game and a great deal at $7.50.

Horrible graphics aside, it really is a great game. The Fade kept me from completing it though. I can't bring myself to play it ever again do to that horrible experience.

Tess3ract

Banned
Horrible graphics aside, it really is a great game. The Fade kept me from completing it though. I can't bring myself to play it ever again do to that horrible experience.
Oh come on, everyone seems to rag on it looking too fantasy style but I loved it, what was wrong with it?

I wish Dragon Age had controller support, I still might bite at this price though. Also how is Jade Empire on PC?
It plays better with mouse and keyboard than the console versions ever did, that's not really debatable as even console players say the same thing.

bigace33

I wish Dragon Age had controller support, I still might bite at this price though. Also how is Jade Empire on PC?

No man, it is infinitely better with KB/M. This is one of the few games that's actually better off without controller support. DAO with controller support would be kind of a step back in my opinion, and I'm pro controller for most all other games.

Crayons

Banned
Hell yes Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening for $7.49. I have it on the 360 but I never opened it because I don't have a 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom