• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternia

OMFG THIS. FUCK HER!
lol, but once you "level up" with her, she starts to buy nicer stuff at reasonable prices. I believe most people are like that but with varying thresholds. Once I caught on, I just marked whatever it is way down until they started to make remarks on how cheap it was. Then you start to jack it up.

gdt

How was it not optimized? I didn't have any problems with it before I upgraded my system. Did it not have keyboard button prompts or something? Maybe it's the lack of FOV control?

Dunno about any kb prompts, playing with a 360 controller. I'm strictly speaking in terms of framerate, and what I'm reading seems to fit with my impression.

iavi

7.49 for DA:O and all it's DLC is too hard to pass up on. You'd think EA would want to be back on Steam, even after an Origin exclusivity window, seeing how much they probably make on these sales.

HoosTrax

I don't know how the Ultimate edition does it, but there is a strange redemption process of going to Bioware site for the DLC with the standard version of the game. You do not need to download anything extra though.
If it's the same as with Mass Effect 2, it's going to involve some obnoxious process of logging into Bioware with your EA/Origin account info, and manually downloading and installing each one. I hope that's not what it turns out to be...

Katoki

Oookay. How's combat (Team strategy? Hack and slash? Hit buttons like MMO?) and exploration (Places to stop and smell the roses and see the pretty that my graphics card will force on the game)? Any game that allows me to make a half decent looking female already gains my interest. Getting to wreck stuff with that said female is even better.

This is regarding DAO for anyone who has no idea what that was about.

CRS

Already got Dragon Age! Success. One less game for me to buy.

Dragon Age: Origins + DLC + Dragon Age 2 was available to $9.99 on Amazon earlier this month.

Oh, Dragon Age as the flash deal. Ultimate is $7.49. Hmmm.
Already got Dragon Age! Success. One less game for me to buy.

Dragon Age: Origins + DLC + Dragon Age 2 was available to $9.99 on Amazon earlier this month.
OMG. Well after hearing that, I'm not so excited anymore. Missed out again. T_T

Oookay. How's combat and exploration? Any game that allows me to make a half decent looking female already gains my interest. Getting to wreck stuff with that said female is even better.

Combat, great, exploration, limited but good enough. Mods and customisation? Why yes, whatever takes your fancy.

Plenty of NSFW mods to compliment your choice of decent looking female too.

Katoki

Combat, great, exploration, limited but good enough. Mods and customisation? Why yes, whatever takes your fancy.

Plenty of NSFW mods to compliment your choice of decent looking female too.

Nude characters beating up on stuff, not so much interest.

Since my edit was too late, how is combat? Team strategy? Hack and slash? Hit buttons like MMO?

And exploration: Places to stop and smell the roses and look at the pretty that my graphics card puts out after the control panel forces settings?

Tess3ract

Banned
Oookay. How's combat (Team strategy? Hack and slash? Hit buttons like MMO?) and exploration (Places to stop and smell the roses and see the pretty that my graphics card will force on the game)? Any game that allows me to make a half decent looking female already gains my interest. Getting to wreck stuff with that said female is even better.

Minus is down (just check my post later or I'll repost them w/e) but I can answer your question:

modded:
daorigins2011-03-0621c3b6q.jpg
shut up i like girls with big noses

bigace33

I found the character editor to be horrible. My guy looked like a complete fool even though I was trying to make a tough, viking looking character. The beards literally look like some kind of Halloween props with space in between the characters face and beard. The females look ok but for the most part the characters look crazy. It's a great game but I just did not dig the graphics.

Oookay. How's combat and exploration? Any game that allows me to make a half decent looking female already gains my interest. Getting to wreck stuff with that said female is even better.

Combat is excellent, but exploration isn't really anything to right home about. The order in which you get to the main quest is extremely open, but the areas you go to are for the most easy to navigate and straightforward. This game isn't Skyrim in that regard.

Does anybody have a spare Walking Dead they would be willing to sell me? I thought I was going to be short for ARMA II and skipped it, but my situation has changed.

Since my edit was too late, how is combat? Team strategy? Hack and slash? Hit buttons like MMO?

And exploration: Places to stop and smell the roses and look at the pretty that my graphics card puts out after the control panel forces settings?

Not so much nude characters...the game has romance options and tasteful 'fade to black' type sex scenes. These can be enhanced to...not so tasteful, depending on your tastes.

1442796-leliana_versiqdfkn.jpg

Combat is tactics based. Think Baldurs Gate rather than hitting buttons. You will want to pause the game and pick what each of your team will do. Some classes are a bit OP, but if you don't seek out this knowledge the game is reasonably balanced and you have lots of options.

The game is decent looking, but not pretty. Most of the environments are just you getting from point A to point B when outside a city, but there is plenty of variety in them.

Card Boy

Banned
Minus is down (just check my post later or I'll repost them w/e) but I can answer your question:

modded:

shut up i like girls with big noses

How do i mod DA: O? Apparently i have to edit some files to have more than 1 mod active? I have some extra hair pack, but can't work out how to put in more mods.

You can think of it alot like Knights of the Old Republic sort of. You've got your party of your character plus 3 others, you give them commands, they carry them out. Probably a lot of pause and play (at least thats how I played), so yes, using your party members together and trying to position them tactically. Definitely not hack and slash.

As far as exploring, there a decent number of areas in the game with an overworld map. Its not a sandbox game. You basically have your big map of the country you're in with certain specific locations on it to start out. As you progress some more minor locations will open up on the map and you'll occasionally have random encounters when travelling from place to place.

If you add in some of the mods and play at a high resolution its a decent looking game on the PC. Its not the Witcher 2 or anything, but its a nice looking game. The PC version has the nice overhead tactical view too, which is great. And lots of mods too which can add as much or as little to the experience as you want.

Petrie

Banned
Damn. I really want Dragon Age, but Steam is doing it's usual shittiness and not letting me purchase anything. I'm going to end up screwed out of it aren't I?

Fuck, and I never played Awakening.

Tess3ract

Banned

Team strategy, hotkeys, item buffs, inventory, can pause the game at any time (and should often on higher difficulties)

Not a huge amount of exploration, you're pretty much in a "level" most of the time. You aren't really forced down a path but it's not skyrim in that regard.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So Max Payne 3 is pissing me off.

Played until Chapter 6 yesterday and quit to get lunch. Came back to see that the game didn't save my progress at all. I played again until chapter 4, but the same thing happened. So I got pissed and decided to use someone elses save game instead.

Way to fuck up on the simplest things Rockstar.

Then there's the problem with cutscenes which just can't be skipped and can be long as hell. But worse... is the fact that the game switches your choice of weapon back to the handgun every time before a cutscene. This is just idiotic, moreso when you're dealing with snipers and your handgun of choice is the sawed off shotgun.

Game runs great, but what the hell Rockstar? It's like using the highest spec phone ever, but with Symbian as its OS. Anyone else had these problems?
Just the weapon changing stuff. I've pretty much taken for granted that after a cutscene I always press 4, to change back to the 2-hand weapon. The save failure you mentioned looks like a horrible bug, and fortunately never happened to me.

I found the character editor to be horrible. My guy looked like a complete fool even though I was trying to make a tough, viking looking character. The beards literally look like some kind of Halloween props with space in between the characters face and beard. The females look ok but for the most part the characters look crazy. It's a great game but I just did not dig the graphics.

The full beards do look awful in the Dragon Age games.

But especially with the PC version, the character creator is pretty good if you use the more elaborate version thats in the Dragon Age toolset.It has a bit of a learning curve, but it enabled a lot more customization than what was in the game itself.

How long of a game is DAO?

If you skip some of the voice acting and dialogue and aren't playing with the DLC, probably around 40 hours. If you listen to all the dialogue and have all or most of the DLC installed (excluding the expansion pack), then probably upwards 60 or 70 hours. Awakening, the expansion pack, is about 10-20 hours long.

Tess3ract

Banned
Does it support NMM? I can live with a KoTOR type combat system. Although I never really got far in KoTOR because I got bored by the time I got down into those sewers/underworld place in the beginning.
Haha everyone did. There's a mod to skip Taris you know. I do it all the time when I replay KOTOR now.

I have a physical copy of Origins and Awakenings. I'm tempted to get the Steam version just for the convenience factor. Does that make me a bad person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom