• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Time to install this mod

3295-1-1341264690.png

3295-1-1339363552.png

That first one looks fucking terrible.

Levyne

Banned
Same here. Just played it for the first time yesterday. Haven't had a game feel that fresh since Portal. Shame about combat parts though.

Hmm..I actually got the portal vibe too. I was afraid of posting that impression here in case the comparison angered some valve fans for some reason haha.

Katoki

So much collateral damage for Recettear, what I originally came in this sale waiting for. $120 in total prior to Recettear showing up.

I just cleared Alan Wake, awesome game, what should I clear next, Crysis 2, Dear Esther, or Legend of Grimrock?

Dear Esther literally takes an hour and half so if you want to play that, I'd go ahead and do it.

Legend of Grimlock is a great game. it would be the next I'd play after that.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is DA:O Ultimate worth the extra 2.50?
Is DA:O good enough to buy? I seem to remember a lot of GAF-bitching about that game when it came out.

I've never played a Dragon Age game before, but I like Bioware enough.

Einbroch

Banned
Is DA:O good enough to buy? I seem to remember a lot of GAF-bitching about that game when it came out.

DA:O is fantastic on PC. It's shit on consoles and the sequel is like a completely different game. A lot of people hated DA2, but I thought it was okay.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Yes. The expansion alone is 20-30 hours.
Lmao, are you kidding me? I don't even see how people think games that long are desirable. It might just be me, but I prefer an 8-hour single player game a lot more than a 30 hour one.

Tess3ract

Banned

Yes, most of the bitching was about the stupid marketing.

Lmao, are you kidding me? I don't even see how people think games that long are desirable. It might just be me, but I prefer an 8-hour single player game a lot more than a 30 hour one.
I don't think you and me will get along very well.

So, Dark Age Origins - whats the ratio of dialogue to combat? I could really use a nice party based combat game, but I'm not much of a fan of bioware conversation bloat (sue me).

There will always be hate for everything on GAF...but what has happened since from Bioware and Bethesda makes DA:O now look like just about the best game ever.

We all wanted better at the time...now I'll settle for a game half as good.

Most definitely. Awakenings alone is an extra 20 hours and is good stuff.
Make that two. I tend to hate all the modded female stuff. It looks plastic most of the time.

Fair enough. Finding the female characters attractive is a big part of a rpg for me, and mods tend to make the game tailored to my tastes.

So, Dark Age Origins - whats the ratio of dialogue to combat? I could really use a nice party based combat game, but I'm not much of a fan of bioware conversation bloat (sue me).

Note a whole lot. A lot less than Baldurs Gate and a shitload less than something like PT.

Call of Pripyat? What say you GAF?

Is it too slow of a pace for an average FPS?

also how well is it optimized? I ran METRO 2030 on my machine okay, would this run okay?

Do graphics stand the test of time? is there any mods to make it run and look better?

Speaking of METRO 2030, how does it compare? action? story? thrills? similar?

Oh god yes. I found myself thinking about the characters even when I wasn't playing. I genuinely cared about my companions. The story is fantastic and the modding community is unreal.

Also, Morrigan.

Yup.

Petrie

Banned

I guess if you're just always in a rush for the next thing, instead of enjoying what you're playing.

Any rational person will take 30 hours of awesome over 8 hours of awesome for their money, all other things being equal.

MechaX

Oh God damnit, I wish I didn't even look at the sales page for today.

I sunk around 120 hours on Dragon's Age over three characters, bought most of the DLC including Awakening, and I'm still heavily considering picking up the Ultimate Edition.

Anyone and everyone in the fence about getting DA:O should not hesitate to pick it up. It's an amazing game with great characters, unforgettable and funny party banter, and enough action to keep you busy for as long as you can keep going.

Tess3ract

Banned

also how well is it optimized? I ran METRO 2030 on my machine okay, would this run okay?

Do graphics stand the test of time? is there any mods to make it run and look better?

I don't know what you mean by slow paced. It's exploration based, a bit sandboxy.

It's got typical eurojank, if you can run metro 2033 on your machine you shouldn't have an issue with stalker, especially pripyat.

Graphics at times are a bit dated but the art style is good. Get the complete mod to change the lighting amongst a lot of other things.

johnsmith

remember me
Had been taking it easy up until today, had only bought M&M Clash of Heroes, but they really got me today.

Fortune Summoners
Dragon Age Ultimate
Dead Space 2

People want to buy your games, EA. Don't be stupid and put them back on Steam.

Oh god yes. I found myself thinking about the characters even when I wasn't playing. I genuinely cared about my companions. The story is fantastic and the modding community is unreal.

Also, Morrigan.

Yup.

Hey I didn't mind Morrigan either, especially the mod version.

Still, I would go with her, but I'd be thinking of Leliana.

I guess if you're just always in a rush for the next thing, instead of enjoying what you're playing.

Any rational person will take 30 hours of awesome over 8 hours of awesome for their money, all other things being equal.
Would definitely take 30 hours as long as its good over 8 hours. So tempted to pick up DA:O Ultimate. I barely played my ps3 version.

Have you already played Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl? It's on sale too for $5 and it's the best Stalker game. There is a "Stalker Complete" mod that updates the graphics and makes it beautiful and also adds some really great gameplay additions like the ability to use a sleeping bag to pass time and the ability to trade/barter with just about anybody in the game as oppossed to just merchants.

You would have absolutely no problem running it at all.

However, it is a fairly difficult game, especially at first since you start with crappy weapons that have bad accuracy. It gets easier with time but it is always easy to die if you are stupid. You have to use cover, you have to often pick guys off at a distance, get the jump on enemies, pick your battles, etc. You will go down in 3-5 hits easily. You cannot circle strafe your way to victory. You have play smart.

It plays a lot like Fall Out 3 if the combat was real time and not crappy. More like Rainbox Six combat. Open world game with smallish "hub" areas, lots of choices, dynamic AI, and upgrading gear, selling old stuff, etc.

Tess3ract

Banned
If it wasn't obvious there's about 3 dialogues per 1 thing of combat. So yeah it's dialogue heavy, if that wasn't clear. it certainly has a bunch of combat, though.

Does the acronym RPG mean nothing to you? Outside of Costume Quest I can't think of single RPG that short. To each his own I guess. RPGs help grow back logs not shrink them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom