• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tess3ract

Banned
Ok you are kinda doing a good job on selling it to me, but I am still kinda on the fence because of all the "Janky" talk, that's what really bothered me about METRO 2030, as much as that game was good at creating atmosphere, many times the immersion was lost due to a very inconsistent optimization (example: game runs smooth and great in a small indoor level, you step out in an open battlefield with lots of enemies, all a sudden it's a slide show, I had to pause the game and re work the graphically settings just so the game became playable again and I could advance through the level) kinda hated that part of M2030, but eventually I found a good middle ground and enjoyed the game, and even got used to the jankyiness.

The reason I love the Fallout games is becasue of pure atmosphere, the amazing, alternate universe-post apocalyptic world it throws you in. You really feel like the inhabitants of DC and New Vegas have been living there for years, all of them, mutants, creatures alike, they don't feel like mindless AI, NPCs put there for your amusement. You really feel like you are an outsider stepping into their ground. And if that's how STALKER feels, like a genuine post nuclear reactor incident town of eerie Chernobyl with some scary creatures thrown in, I'm all for it.

And again going back to playing the original and first instalment vs Call of Pripyat. I am not too concerned about the size or length of the game, I actually like it if the experience is more of a short and sweet experiencing, I don't really wanna delve into a 30-40 hour game.

I'm guessing CoP is the refined and condensed version/continuation of the original, if so, I'd take that over the original.
Lol that's not jank, not what we're talking about anyways. Metro 2033 is a bit more polished than Stalker is more what we mean. Metro 2033 is like an "indoor" stalker game.

Also he's arguably wrong about SoC. CoP is more polished but has less variety in zones, where SoC is not as polished but has more variety in zones.

If you care about atmosphere that's what Stalker provides in DROVES. When people say "atmospheric game" they're talking about or should be talking about Call of Pripyat (especially with the CoP Complete mod. It's not really needed but it improves it even more)

You can choose to not spend a lot of time with the game, but that's like playing fallout without going to explore all the shit.

Luigiv

So I've never played a Ys game before, is The Oath in Felghana worth picking up or should I play an earlier YS game first?

Ok you are kinda doing a good job on selling it to me, but I am still kinda on the fence because of all the "Janky" talk, that's what really bothered me about METRO 2030, as much as that game was good at creating atmosphere, many times the immersion was lost due to a very inconsistent optimization (example: game runs smooth and great in a small indoor level, you step out in an open battlefield with lots of enemies, all a sudden it's a slide show, I had to pause the game and re work the graphically settings just so the game became playable again and I could advance through the level) kinda hated that part of M2030, but eventually I found a good middle ground and enjoyed the game, and even got used to the jankyiness.

The reason I love the Fallout games is becasue of pure atmosphere, the amazing, alternate universe-post apocalyptic world it throws you in. You really feel like the inhabitants of DC and New Vegas have been living there for years, all of them, mutants, creatures alike, they don't feel like mindless AI, NPCs put there for your amusement. You really feel like you are an outsider stepping into their ground. And if that's how STALKER feels, like a genuine post nuclear reactor incident town of eerie Chernobyl with some scary creatures thrown in, I'm all for it.

And again going back to playing the original and first instalment vs Call of Pripyat. I am not too concerned about the size or length of the game, I actually like it if the experience is more of a short and sweet experiencing, I don't really wanna delve into a 30-40 hour game.

I'm guessing CoP is the refined and condensed version/continuation of the original, if so, I'd take that over the original.

I honestly don't know what people are talking about with the "jankyness" of Stalker. Then again, I played it strictly with that Complete Mod which I know addressed a lot of the game's problems. I have a pretty beefy system, but I'm pretty sure the game isn't that demanding. I never once had a framerate hitch in the 20 hours I played.

It definitely isn't quite as cinematic as Fallout or Mass Effect or something in terms of how it handles dialogue but that's about as far as I can understand the "jank" coming from having only played the Complete mod.

I actually haven't played Call of Priypat yet (I own it but haven't gotten around to it) but it's the pretty wide spread view that Shadows of Chernobyl is the best of the three both by critics and players. Obviously no view is universal, but that is the general consensus. Shadows also isn't obnoxiously long or anything. It's similar to Fall Out 3 in atmosphere but it's not an 60 hour time sink.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Okay this is the best thing ever. Definitely using this when I take on my Steam backlog.
I've used this a few times before, and the problem is that no matter what it chooses, you'll always feel like "ehhh... I want to play something else. *reclick*"

DC Universe power bundle.... Really Gabe?

I like how we all act that Gabe is the one who's orchestrating 100% of the Steam sales. He's literally the one putting it all together, lol.

All this talk of DA:O nudity is making me wish there's a Steam section like this...

TFObR.jpg

You know you want it.
If Valve implemented an invisible or offline mode. More people wouldn't hesitate.

I tried to talk myself out of buying DA:O Ultimate. Failed miserably. Another game onto my backlog lol. Omg, 24gb to install O_O. I need delete some stuff.

DC Universe flash deal is such a joke. For a f2p game? Come on.

Speevy

Banned
I have a game demo that's been showing up in my library for the longest time, and I cannot delete it.

It's the GTR demo. It just won't go away.

Any ideas?

seldead

I honestly don't know what people are talking about with the "jankyness" of Stalker. Then again, I played it strictly with that Complete Mod which I know addressed a lot of the game's problems. I have a pretty beefy system, but I'm pretty sure the game isn't that demanding. I never once had a framerate hitch in the 20+ hours I played.

Framerate averages were always very smooth with the complete mod, however the game did like the stutter a fair bit, and it got progressively worse the further in the game I got. by the time I got to red forest and pripyat it was stuttering very noticeably every minute or so, fairly annoying, but i persevered. I gave up however when I noticed it in my first couple of hours of COP. Not sure if it was a HDD or GPU. This was with a 5850 btw.

Lol that's not jank, not what we're talking about anyways. Metro 2033 is a bit more polished than Stalker is more what we mean. Metro 2033 is like an "indoor" stalker game.

Also he's arguably wrong about SoC. CoP is more polished but has less variety in zones, where SoC is not as polished but has more variety in zones.

If you care about atmosphere that's what Stalker provides in DROVES. When people say "atmospheric game" they're talking about or should be talking about Call of Pripyat (especially with the CoP Complete mod. It's not really needed but it improves it even more)

You can choose to not spend a lot of time with the game, but that's like playing fallout without going to explore all the shit.

Well I wasn't talking about Jankiness there, I was just talking about unpolished optimization. I'd imagine when people call these games "Janky" they are referring to the controls, the shooting mechanics, the aim feeling really loose and not like other (Western) shooters with the aim assist and more of a "firm" grip ( I donno what I am saying anymore, it's really late here...) but anyway , you two convinced me, I am sold on CoP. Take me to Chernobyl Goddammit!

Lancehead

When it comes to "pure atmosphere", STALKER is better than Fallout 3 or New Vegas. I'm talking about modded versions here.

Bit on Thief II and Tiny Big.

Damage Update:

Total War: Shogun 2 - $7.49
Payday: The Heist - $4.99
Indie Bundle II - $9.99
Ys Origin - $7.99
Vessel - $3.74
X3: Terran Conflict - $3.99
Metro 2033 - $4.99
Serious Sam 3 BFE - $9.99
Cave Story+ - $2.49
Crysis - $5.99
Pendulo Adventure Pack - $14.99
Tiny Big - $5.99
Thief II - $2.49

Total: $85.12

Gifts:

The Ship - Thanks Salsa!
DEFCON - Thanks friend who isn't on GAF!
Space Rangers 2: Reboot - Thanks friend who isn't on GAF!

---

I've got >$15 left on my limit because my goal was to spend less than $100 on this sale. With only a few days left, can I do it? Find out next time on, Steam Summer Sale: Goddammit Gabe!

haikira

So Carpe Fulgur bundle. If someone already owned Recettear, and wanted to only buy one game from the bundle. What should that game be?

dani_dc

Anyone else having "autolog" issues in NFS: Most Wanted?

I'm spending 3 minutes looking at the screen while the game tries to connect to the servers twice whenever I start the game, and another 30~60 seconds after the race. All the times failing to connect.

All this talk of DA:O nudity is making me wish there's a Steam section like this...

TFObR.jpg

You know you want it.

Please no.

I spend enough money as it is.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I guess if you're just always in a rush for the next thing, instead of enjoying what you're playing.

Any rational person will take 30 hours of awesome over 8 hours of awesome for their money, all other things being equal.

It's not that. If there were truly a game that had 30 hours of uniqueness and fun, I'd obviously love that. But what I've found is that at hour 10-15, the formula of almost any game becomes predictably stale. I guess if you're playing multiple games at once and don't mind switching back and forth, that's not that big of a deal. But I really like playing games from start to finish.

Plus, I'm a huge believer in replayability. I'd much rather have a 5-8 hour game that I'm going to play three or four times than a 30 hour game I'll never play again.

To each his own, though. I'm not going to dislike someone just because of their preference.

I don't think you and me will get along very well.
;P

Dacvak

Well, "Bazooka Cafe" sounds like an awesome game, regardless of context.

I am literally just not going to eat lunch tomorrow.
I hope you're not serious. :(

So far I've gotten away pretty well

Binary Domain (Amazon) $10
Ys: Origin $8
Recettear $5

and hopefully Ys: Oath for whatever the daily/flash deal is (if it ever has one).

Was thinking of Skyrim but the combat seems very off putting, and ofc $30 dollar price tag.

Dacvak

Sick of those bullshit Australian Hentai prices. Anybody from the US want to help me with "Do you like horny bunnies 2"?

I was thinking of getting the 4-person "bukkake pack" together. Who else is in?

Well, "Bazooka Cafe" sounds like an awesome game, regardless of context.

I hope you're not serious. :(

No I am serious. I'll eat a bit of breakfast (usually just have black coffee) before I leave for work and maybe an early dinner when I return. Tiny Big seems worth it. ;). The steam videos don't do it justice. The Giant Bomb quicklook sold me.

samman6

Ooh! Check PM. :D

Secondly, Is Sim City 4 the one with all the mods? How does it hold up?

I think the games holds up very well, it has some problems with multi-core but you can fix that easily in the steam startup options. Just to make your life easier. It also has a ridiculous amount of user created content. This site is the treasure trove http://www.simtropolis.com/. It's pretty easy to mod the game, I highly recommend the NAM or Network Add-on Mod it recreates a bunch of the road way, and gives you much better traffic options. Also they have a metric shit ton of user created buildings, They make DVD's with their best of. Everything is for free to download there.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How are Thief Gold and Thief II on Steam compared to the GOG versions?

Do both come preloaded with high-res resolutions?

Dacvak

No I am serious. I'll eat a bit of breakfast (usually just have black coffee) before I leave for work and maybe an early dinner when I return. Tiny Big seems worth it. ;)

Fair enough. If you'd like a couple bucks for some fast food, let me know. No one should be going hungry, mate.

Also, random question - how'd you get junior'd?

Wads

Banned
Damage thus far:

DATE TOTAL EVENT ITEMS
Jul 18, 2012 7.49 Purchase Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Jul 18, 2012 4.99 Purchase Bioshock 2
Jul 17, 2012 2.49 Purchase Limbo
Jul 17, 2012 6.23 Purchase Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San
Jul 16, 2012 9.98 Purchase Dead Space Pack
Jul 15, 2012 6.23 Purchase Bastion + Soundtrack DLC
Jul 14, 2012 12.49 Purchase Civ V GOTY
Jul 14, 2012 5.09 Purchase Ys The Oath in Felghana
Jul 14, 2012 7.99 Purchase Ys Origin
Jul 14, 2012 2.49 Purchase Plants vs. Zombie
Jul 14, 2012 2.23 Purchase Binding of Isaac Bundle (Summer 2012 )
Jul 13, 2012 9.99 Purchase Alan Wake Bundle (Summer 2012 )
Jul 13, 2012 3.74 Purchase Max Payne Bundle
Jul 13, 2012 4.99 Purchase Portal 2
Total 86.42

I think I'm doing pretty good!

Fair enough. If you'd like a couple bucks for some fast food, let me know. No one should be going hungry, mate.

Also, random question - how'd you get junior'd?

Thanks for the kind offer but it's just my way of countering my terrible game budget during Steam sales.

As for the junior status, I dont actually remember but I think I linked to a "banned" site a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom