• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

Never played Sins of a Solar Empire before. Should I jump into Rebellion or just start off with Trinity which is just 5 bucks?
Trinity, to get the basics of it and see if you like it. Buy rebellion if youre sure to like it and know you want all the latest things

KarmaCow

Cross posting from the Amazon thread but can someone in the US help me buy Saints Row 3 (from Amazon)? I think I know how to paypal the money, but I haven't done it before.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If I'm just getting one Stalker game and have never played one before, should I start with Shadow of Chernobyl?

EDIT: Ah, just gonna get it. It's €2.49, dammit. Then I'll get CoP later if I enjoy SoC.

Has anyone tried to run any Thief or STALKER game on a computer with Intel GMA X3100 graphics (in my case, a 2008 MacBook with a Windows partition)? I want to finally buy something, but only if I'll be able to run it in this computer.

To be honest, I don't really know anything about those franchises, so I'd only buy one Thief and one STALKER. Which ones would you recommend?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BIG THANKS! PrematureQuiche For Helping me with a Gift of Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition

Real nice guy!
That's very nice of him! SteamGAF is amazing ♥

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does Stalker Complete work with the Steam version? Also, is it "safe"? It won't count as a modification that could get you banned?

Has anyone tried to run any Thief or STALKER game on a computer with Intel GMA X3100 graphics (in my case, a 2008 MacBook with a Windows partition)? I want to finally buy something, but only if I'll be able to run it in this computer.

To be honest, I don't really know anything about those franchises, so I'd only buy one Thief and one STALKER. Which ones would you recommend?
Thief Gold and 2 came out over a decade ago, they're sure to run on your system. Dunno how STALKER would fare on that though. Thief's a safe bet.

Does Stalker Complete work with the Steam version? Also, is it "safe"? It won't count as a modification that could get you banned?
It works for the Steam version, and no it won't get you banned. You don't have to worry about that with any mod for any game on Steam.

HoosTrax

Don't forget to hop over to the Amazon thread - Tony's giving out a few hundred free Steam keys for EU3, Mount and Blade Warband, and an SR3 DLC (need to *own* the base game for this one -- you can't take one as a giftable item).

I know Bioware is on a lot of people's shitlists for DA2 and the ME3 ending fiasco but if you're an RPG fan you owe it to yourself to pick up Dragon Age Origins. At $5 its an absolute steal. I've put in close to 100 hrs into the game between the original game, the expansion and all the DLC and I plan on playing through it again this year. It's the best party based wRPG released in years imo.

Best way to describe the game is that it is basically a 75/25 split between KOTOR and Baldur's Gate with a great cast of characters. The mod scene is great too.

Buy It!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Huh?

I live in Argentina and it was still $29.99, iirc...
Really? I'm Argentinian too, and had the $22.75 price on the daily sale. I think there was someone else with the same price as me, but don't remember who it was. I remember it pretty well 'cause I had just bought the game 2 weeks before from Amazon, at 30 bucks (still totally worth it!).

Geoff9920

I just installed Stalker Complete 2009 to Stalker: SoC last night. Works fine but just be sure to run the game once prior to installing the mod. Also, you won't get banned.

*Sigh*...Okay. After blowing over $200 on my first steam sale, the only two games I have left to get are Bloodlines and Street Fighter X Tekken. Though it looks like SFXT won't go on sale at all, so hopefully I only have one more thing to buy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It works for the Steam version, and no it won't get you banned. You don't have to worry about that with any mod for any game on Steam.

Cool, thanks. When exactly do you have to worry about it? Obviously modified EXEs that are used for cheating in MP games will get you banned, but I'm having a hard time knowing exactly what's safe and what's not.

diffusionx

Gold Member
*Sigh*...Okay. After blowing over $200 on my first steam sale, the only two games I have left to get are Bloodlines and Street Fighter X Tekken. Though it looks like SFXT won't go on sale at all, so hopefully I only have one more thing to buy.

You shouldn't buy SFxT even if it does go on sale.

Cool, thanks. When exactly do you have to worry about it? Obviously modified EXEs that are used for cheating in MP games will get you banned, but I'm having a hard time knowing exactly what's safe and what's not.
Basically if it makes you feel dirty doing it, it's not a good idea. Mods for anything are safe, but hacks for online multiplayer will get you axed.

Shadybiz

I know Bioware is on a lot of people's shitlists for DA2 and the ME3 ending fiasco but if you're an RPG fan you owe it to yourself to pick up Dragon Age Origins. At $5 its an absolute steal. I've put in close to 100 hrs into the game between the original game, the expansion and all the DLC and I plan on playing through it again this year. It's the best party based wRPG released in years imo.

Best way to describe the game is that it is basically a 75/25 split between KOTOR and Baldur's Gate with a great cast of characters. The mod scene is great too.

Buy It!

Dang it! There goes lunch!

Exuro

You'll get banned from certain games that use VAC for cheat protection in multiplayer games if you use cheats. Getting banned only locks you out of that game/engine though, not your entire account.

You shouldn't buy SFxT even if it does go on sale.

I actually already owned it on 360, but my disc ended up being torn up so I've been meaning to get it again. Though knowing Capcom, they probably don't want to put it on sale because of the huge character pack dlc they have coming out soon.

atomico

So the "Ultimate Edition" of Dragon Age is not available in my area... but the standard version is.

What am I missing? Is the DLC any good?

ImRight

You'll get banned from certain games that use VAC for cheat protection in multiplayer games if you use cheats. Getting banned only locks you out of that game/engine though, not your entire account.

I was wondering this myself obviously using cheats will get u banned, But exactly what files can be touchy, like when just modding like skins or graphic's ect.... is it touch n go ? is it only modding .exe's that is bad or what?

Geoff9920

So the "Ultimate Edition" of Dragon Age is not available in my area... but the standard version is.

The big thing you'll miss out on is the expansion that's included with the Ultimate Edition. Assuming you haven't bought it separately that is.

1-D_FTW

That's a pretty terrible computer. Thief 1 + 2 are old enough they may work, but as somebody else mentioned stay FAR away from STALKER. That's a modern game that needs power to run it.

megalowho

It's in my cart, but is DA:O Awakening a solid deal for $5 standalone? Already own and have played through the base game around release.

If you can get Dragon Age + Awakenings you are pretty ok. The stone prisoner is the only really good official DLC (because you get a good character) and this seems to come with DA:O. The rest can be modded easily enough if you want extra items or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom