• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I really wish games by Bethesda and the ones they touch would get franchise sales. I don't care about getting Oblivion or Skyrim, I want Morrowind. I don't care about New Vegas or Fallout 3 either, I want Fallout 1 and 2.
I also want those same games. However Fallout 1+2 aren't Bethesda yet are they? Still owned by Interplay or not? Otherwise they should have been part of the Fallout sale now and a few days ago.

I am willing to go over my budget if a few more games go on sale that are on my Wishlist.

Salsa

Krater looks really interesting and i like the setting and artsyle, but I dont think i should get it. Not a big fan of the minecraft model of 'not finished yet' for that price.

Ill think about it some more but I dont think i should spend my money on that

inky

What's the word on E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy? Worth it?

I hear cyberpunk FPS/RPG and I think Dues Ex, a game that I love. Anywhere near that? This looks more action-y, which is fine, but is all just shooting dudes in empty streets like the trailer makes it seem?

Weirdest game you'll ever play if you are into weird shit. Those impressions seem about right, but there's a story and hacking, and other powers and abilities too. I don't know what it is, but it's not Deus Ex, I played it for like a couple of hours and I still didn't understand what was going on.

Krater looks really interesting and i like the setting and artsyle, but I dont think i should get it. Not a big fan of the minecraft model of 'not finished yet' for that price.

Ill think about it some more but I dont think i should spend my money on that

Hm, I was just looking too. I didn't know it was still in development though.

Seronei

So should I buy Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas? Any big differences? Haven't played any game in the Fallout franchise before this but I've heard much good about them.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Yeah, Krater has apparently been patched to change a lot of the things people complained about in reviews. The OT has more detail on that. I'm gonna give it a shot; I liked what I've played of Hamilton so I trust Fatshark.

At first I thought this was a sales-repeat-day. Almost nothing new. :| Rochard for 75% off please.
Yup, need to get gift copies of this, Sworcery, the Gundemonium Collection, et cetera...including Dustforce, which is still a remarkable 0% off :/

Exactly, that's the problem with these sales.

It's all shit that's been on sale for years. Everyone has this stuff already.

If this were true, I would not have spent $200 thus far. I also have four friends that have spent over $150 each and going by this thread thst is not uncommon. I sort of agree that I'd like to see more titles spotlighted, but on the other hand, I have spent enough.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
No one plays it because it's not fun. From what little I played at launch, the game only has a 4v4 max player count. You can only join a game through matchmaking and the game won't start until all 8 people are in the lobby, no matter how long you have to wait. It didn't even have a 1v1 duel mode until they released it yesterday in a paid DLC. Think about that for a moment. An arena combat shooter where you have to pay extra to play 1v1 deathmatch. This is a lazy console port job.

Lol, alright. Then I guess I'll cancel the 4-pack. It's still pretty surprising to me, since I've seen GAF buy some utter shit from Steam just because it's cheap. But I guess Nexuiz is just past anyone's threshold. Fair enough.

So, now what do I buy today?

Gregorn

So should I buy Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas? Any big differences? Haven't played any game in the Fallout franchise before this but I've heard much good about them.

You can't really go wrong, but I'd say Fallout 3. It's a better introduction to the world.

Capcom... sigh, I really want a Lost PLanet 2 sale, but they dont even offer a 4 pack so I can buy it at a discount for my friends :(

Still hoping for:

Bulletstorm
Hawx 2
Lost Planet 1

Gala

I wish Sniper Elite 2 was -75% off. I would totally buy it then. However, I'm still waiting for my -75% on Transformers! Make it happen Gaben!

Sarcasm

Bought both witchers on GOG promo. Just because it's cheaper, no DRM, I don't care about achievements and more money goes to cd projekt
(custom images in the steam library also helps)
So this and tiny and big today, I hope those are my last purchases for the sale, I'm afraid to count but i'm around 100$ :(

Isn't the price different not noticeable if you like having steam games? Though I am kinda jealous..I should have waited months to years for the gogo promo instead of buying W1 on steam for dirt cheap....

I am actually passing up W2 cause of this.

What's the word on E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy? Worth it?

I hear cyberpunk FPS/RPG and I think Dues Ex, a game that I love. Anywhere near that? This looks more action-y, which is fine, but is all just shooting dudes in empty streets like the trailer makes it seem?

It's really worth it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
SalsaShark, by the way, you can add me to the list of people willing to help others in gifting.

bonesquad

I think GAF just loves them some Loot filled ARPGs regardless of quality.

I get the impression people only praise Krater as a means to further their anti Diablo 3 agenda. If you look at metacritic all the positive user reviews either bash D3 or say we should go easy on Krater because it's an indie game. The GAF OT doesn't look too different from that either.

I'd just like to suggest that anyone who doesn't own it, even if they happen to dislike rogue-likes, should pick up Dungeons of Dredmor (part of the Indie Bundle VII and still on sale for half a day). It's an absolute bargain, compatible with mac and PC, and constantly supported with inexpensive expansions and even a free DLC pack.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/12986/

I don't care all that much for the genre, at least when it's executed blandly, but DoD is one of the funniest games I've EVER played, and has more personality and soul than a dozen games with bigger budgets from bigger studios.

I will day one the iPad version they're allegedly working on as soon as it's out.

Be warned: it's addicting as hell. Playing with permadeath mode on is HIGHLY recommended (otherwise it isn't reeeallllly a rogue-like).

Yeah, Dredmor is fantastic. Has some real depth to it while still making the roguelike more accessible to the average gamer. Plus it's cheap as all get out.

As a side note though, I'm a little dubious about an iPad port. They are going to have to do a major, major overhaul of their interface to get that to work. I play dredmor on a netbook with an iPad sized screen and icons and text are already very small and hard to read, plus being able to click on anything with finger accuracy would make for an exercise in frustration. Not saying that it might not be a good port, but they have some really issues to overcome to make a playable iPad version.

If you can only buy one, I say New Vegas. The writing, the quests, the characters, it's all better in New Vegas. It has the humor and weirdness that Fallout 3 lacked. Fallout 3 feels like scifi Oblivion.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I got Nexuiz for free with my GFX card purchase, and played it for a little bit. It's pretty cool, not the greatest but it's pretty solid overall and looks great. The power-up system is pretty fun.

May get Gratuitous Tank Battles but I haven't even played GSB that much. Krater would have to have been patched a lot for me to consider.

Recall

I need some Indie reccomendations. I have all the obvious titles but need anything else I've missed. I have the SpaceChems, Meatboys etc, need something new :)

Dacvak

Anyone doing a L4D2 four pack?

I was thinking about it. I already have one, but it might be a good idea to have a spare in my gift bag. I guess if we get one or two more people interested, I'll pull the trigger.

yogloo

So, PVZ, longest journey and dreamfall

or

PVZ, longest journey and recettear?

Argh, forgot to check out dragon age. Missed the deal.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Today's sale would be tempting if I hadn't already bought Witcher 2.

I am considering buying the pair of good New Vegas DLC (old world+ lonesome road) despite the fact that I have literally put like 20 minutes into new vegas ever. I still plan to play it sometime, but it's like the great behemoth of my backlog. Should I spend the 5 bucks for both?

Amagon

Salsa, you lied about ARMA II being a daily!!!!

KoHrb.gif

I need some Indie reccomendations. I have all the obvious titles but need anything else I've missed. I have the SpaceChems, Meatboys etc, need something new :)

Do you have Botanicula? It's an adventure game with a unique art style, good soundtrack, and fun puzzles.

PBalfredo

Which of the new vegas DLC are really worth it and add something to the story?

Let's see

Dead Money - One of the most story intensive DLC packs, though the story is mostly self-contained. Also very difficult. Lots of emphasis on survival in a very hostile environment. Because of this, reception on this DLC is pretty split. Some hate it, while others love it to death.
Honest Hearts - This one ties into what the Burned Man is up to after Ceaser tossed him into the Grand Canyon. The DLC itself is merely okay, in my opinion.
Old World Blues - My favorite DLC pack, mostly because the characters in this one are very funny. If you like the goofy retro '50's SCIENCE! aspect of Fallout, this is one to get. Plenty of toys for characters who use energy weapons.
Lonesome Road - This DLC deals with Ed-E and the Ulysses character that they hyped up in the previous DLC packs. A good challenge for high level characters. Ulysses has a lot to say, but it doesn't amount to much. Honestly Ed-E is more interesting than him.

In my opinion I would rank them:

1. Old World Blues
2. Lonesome Road
3. Honest Hearts
4. Dead Money (your mileage will vary)

marrec

Banned
I get the impression people only praise Krater as a means to further their anti Diablo 3 agenda. If you look at metacritic all the positive user reviews either bash D3 or say we should go easy on Krater because it's an indie game. The GAF OT doesn't look too different from that either.

Most of the reviewers who's opinion I respect told me to avoid Krater so I'll avoid it, regardless of the Diablo 3 Shitwave it's riding to the fore front of GAF's collective consciousness.

Dacvak

Thrakier

FLash and community deals kill the exciting part of the sales.

Also: I have too many games. Feels like I already bought most of steam. I buy more good games than there are new good releases. That means in the future every steam sale will be a bit more boring. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom