• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koroviev

Bought both witchers on GOG promo. Just because it's cheaper, no DRM, I don't care about achievements and more money goes to cd projekt
(custom images in the steam library also helps)
So this and tiny and big today, I hope those are my last purchases for the sale, I'm afraid to count but i'm around 100$ :(

Friend gifted me a copy of Witcher 2 on GOG, which is nice because I was afraid my PC would choke on it (>_< )

Most of the reviewers who's opinion I respect told me to avoid Krater so I'll avoid it, regardless of the Diablo 3 Shitwave it's riding to the fore front of GAF's collective consciousness.

I read through the gaf thread and came to the same conclusion. Looks like an easier pass than I thought it would be.

Katoki

Cool. So Krater does get a daily at 50%. Too bad it still needs some fixing.

Unfortunately I have no idea what to vote for anymore. Pretty much seen all of these choices as well.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Ok, KRATER looks like utter shit. I think this is a clear case of NeoGAF fanbonerism going on.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I still maintain that Nexuiz doesn't look nearly as bad as people are making it seem. Both of my theories are supported by the reviews at large.

Seriously, what's going on?

I'm sure it's been touched on, but what's GAFs consensus of Nexuiz?
No, screw people who are saying it's not worth it. It's probably not the best game ever, but it's $1.87 if you buy it as part of a 4-pack. There's no way it could be so bad that it's not worth the price of a crappy cup of coffee.

Koroviev

FLash and community deals kill the exciting part of the sales.

Also: I have too many games. Feels like I already bought most of steam. I buy more good games than there are new good releases. That means in the future every steam sale will be a bit more boring. :(

Give it a few years, lol.

Tambini

Ok, KRATER looks like utter shit. I think this is a clear case of NeoGAF fanbonerism going on.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I still maintain that Nexuiz doesn't look nearly as bad as people are making it seem. Both of my theories are supported by the reviews at large.

What makes you think Krater looks like shit out of interest? The reviews?

Which of the new vegas DLC are really worth it and add something to the story?

Dead Money is one of the worst games I have ever played. Truly awful. Takes everything that makes Fallout great and shits on it. Oh yeah, and it's buggy as shit. Playing through Honest Hearts now. Loving it.

So should I buy Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas? Any big differences? Haven't played any game in the Fallout franchise before this but I've heard much good about them.

You're going to get a very split opinion on this one. I like Fallout 3 a lot better though.

Giard

I wish Sniper Elite 2 was -75% off. I would totally buy it then. However, I'm still waiting for my -75% on Transformers! Make it happen Gaben!
Get it on Amazon, it's less expensive there.

You can not shave for a few days/weeks and save on blades if it means buying TLJ :p
:lol

IMO, New Vegas is a lot better than Fallout 3, but you can't go wrong with either of them.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
actually, if you really want it, I still have a copy from the holiday sale coupon thing.
Hmmm... I guess that for $5 or so wouldn't care if it's bad...

FLash and community deals kill the exciting part of the sales.

Also: I have too many games. Feels like I already bought most of steam. I buy more good games than there are new good releases. That means in the future every steam sale will be a bit more boring. :(

Yeah, I personally think the deals are on the same level as previous years (I know that some disagree on this though) but seeing the same ones come up multiple times really does kill the hype of providing a fresh new day of deals like they used to. Plus the lack of any Steam Sale meta game is quite the shame.

Morris

Disco Devil
Damage so far:

-Witcher Enhanced Edition

Yay for being broke~

I'm still waiting on any Ys deal, missed when Origin was a flash deal. Missed the SSFIVAE deal as well. I hate Flash Deals :c

So should I buy Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas? Any big differences? Haven't played any game in the Fallout franchise before this but I've heard much good about them.

I'd grab Fallout New Vegas - mainly because it has several cool features that you don't have to "mod in" from the Fallout 3 version (aiming down sights for example)

I also like the western desert setting of Fallout New Vegas, and FO3 has a more city-washington-dc setting.

marrec

Banned

GAF meme's in the Dawkin's sense of the meme. Krater has a smallish fanbase when released and most of the fans of the genre considered it a disappointment. Diablo 3 backlash clogs all the toilets and starts flooding GAFs bathroom. You know what they say, a rising shitwater tide raises all ships. Certain games like Torchlight who deserve the praise are lifted along with the more mediocre games like Krater.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What makes you think Krater looks like shit out of interest? The reviews?

I only have the video, description, and reviews to go by. That being said, I've read a few reviews from some people I generally trust, or acknowledge as informative, and no one outside of GAF is acting like it's the "gift of god" or anything. It seems pretty damn mediocre, to me.

Again, to each his own. I hope a lot of people buy it, and all of those people like it. But, man, I'm confused as shit why people are treating it like it's such an incredible game.

Krater reviews are all pretty mediocre, yet GAF keeps saying to just buy it, yet nobody will say anything about why, or what makes it good. Can we get some info here?

I bought Krater when it was first released because I liked Fat Shark, Lead & Gold and Hamilton's Great Adventure are neat games. Pity that Lead & Gold never found a community but that seems to be the fate of all indie multiplayer games.

I put about 40 minutes into Krater and it's a middling Diablo-like that's currently only notable for its settings/aesthetics. You control three characters, as a group or individually, you have six skills at your disposal, each character has two and your party members can die permanently (so hardcore mode is always on). It's kinda slow paced, not a whole lot of enemies, not a whole lotta loot, I think I quit playing at/in the first major dungeon.

I wish I could offer more of a substantive opinion but it just didn't hold my attention. The good news is they're patching it as they go and will release further expansions/chapters, so it could shape up to be something special?

Edit: I have three friends who also bought Krater, each put in less time than I did.

Hakkuei

I need some Indie reccomendations. I have all the obvious titles but need anything else I've missed. I have the SpaceChems, Meatboys etc, need something new :)

PixelJunk Eden, it's only 2 bucks.

Also, Jamestown/Machinarium/Botanicula/Lone Survivor/VVVVVV/Bastion.. but I guess you already have most of them.

Digoman

Anyone have the leaked list of indie bundles handy? Wouldn't mind checking what's next.
I think the next ones are:
Day 9: Capsized, Jamestown, Revenge of the Titans, VVVVVV, Zeno Clash
Day 10: All Zombies Must Die, Beat Hazard, Bit trip Runner, Eufloria, Machinarium
Day 11: Hydrophobia, Orion: Dino Beatdown, Star Ruler, Waveform, World of Goo

First... both are very good games. Which one is better is subject to some... discussion. Personally, I think New Vegas is the better game, but both play to their developers strengths. Fallout 3 has more "epic" and interesting locations and overall the gameworld is probably better put together, which is something Bethesda does very well. New Vegas uses Obsidian narrative traditions and has way better characters, companions and sidequests, while adding some new tweaks on the gameplay mechanics of Fallout 3.

TGMIII

No, screw people who are saying it's not worth it. It's probably not the best game ever, but it's $1.87 if you buy it as part of a 4-pack. There's no way it could be so bad that it's not worth the price of a crappy cup of coffee.

No it really is that bad. Sure it's 1.87 but it's 1.87 that's going to go to a game you'll never play ever again. It's unoptimized, unfinished and has serious net-code problems where people begin to start warping all over your screen. The only thing it has going for it is that it looks pretty. If you want to play a DM shooter there's plenty of free alternatives that are better e.g Quake live & Warsow.

Is anyone able to buy Witcher 2? It gives me a message saying "All games already in cart" and won't let me checkout.

Of course the damn game is in my cart! I want to buy it!

Nert

Alright, I think I'm finally tapped out. I'll still obsessively look out for the remaining daily and flash deals, but I have just about everything I wanted to pick up now. These sales are such a crazy ride.

I'll leave my profile link here in case anyone wants to add me: http://steamcommunity.com/id/NertGAF

I'll be playing around with a lot of these games over the next couple of months:

The Binding of Isaac
Batman: Arkham City
Trine 2
Super Street Fighter IV: AE
Bastion (only played the 360 version earlier)
Binary Domain
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Just Case 2
Hitman: Blood Money
SimCity 4 Deluxe
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

(Having listed all of those out, I mostly just see myself playing The Binding of Isaac until I actually beat it for once)

Dacvak

What's the word on today's Indie Bundle? SOL, and Demolition Inc. look interesting.

Demo Inc looked like a lot of fun to me, but sadly the other games seem pretty limp. Well, that Swords and Soldiers game is pretty fun if you don't already have it on iOS. Either way, it seems like this Indie Bundle isn't all that great, as a whole. That's at least my take on it.

BioHazard

Hmmm... I guess that for $5 or so wouldn't care if it's bad...

I can give it to you, PM me your steam username and I'll be on later tonight.

I only have the video, description, and reviews to go by. That being said, I've read a few reviews from some people I generally trust, or acknowledge as informative, and no one outside of GAF is acting like it's the "gift of god" or anything. It seems pretty damn mediocre, to me.

Again, to each his own. I hope a lot of people buy it, and all of those people like it. But, man, I'm confused as shit why people are treating it like it's such an incredible game.

No one is claiming it's a gift from god, it's just an interesting game and with that discount it's at (for me) the perfect price point to pick it up. People were only excited about it because of that reason and that we were teased with it in one of the votes but it lost.

and lol @ at thinking Nexuiz could be a really great game but thinking Krater is horrible, mr. opposition

Bricky

Hmm, when I add The Witcher 2 to my cart it's says 'All games already in cart' and I can't buy it. Almost like it's a package or something. Let's hope the issue fixes itself.

Good day today; buying The Longest Journey + Dreamfall, The Witcher 1 and 2 and Alan Wake: American Nightmare (and I kinda feel screwed over by the fact that Alan Wake is already almost 50% off the price is was in the Midweek Madness a few weeks ago :|).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
damage to date:

anno 2070
audiosurf
chantelise
fallout new vegas
from dust
half life 2
half life 2 episode 1
half life 2 episode 2
just cause 2
metro 2033
mirror's edge
portal 2
Rage
stalker: cop
sanctum
Civ 5
SSF4:ae
the witcher
the witcher 2
Ys origin

gifted to me:
bit trip runner
GTA complete pack
borderlands

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, I don't get GAF's love for Krater and thus I can't decide if it's worth a purchase... Rock Paper Shotgun did a pretty negative review and so far I'm leaning towards skipping it altogether. Anyone care to respond to the criticism or talk about why it's good?

Anyway, buy the Alan Wake Franchise bundle people! Such a good game, I bought it back when it was a flash sale and I'm about halfway through the first game. Probably my best purchase from this sale. It's awesome.

Dacvak

PixelJunk Eden, it's only 2 bucks.

Also, Jamestown/Machinarium/Botanicula/Lone Survivor/VVVVVV/Bastion.. but I guess you already have most of them.

Whaaaaat? PixelJunk is 80% off, not even as a Flash deal? What other awesome games have I missed because they weren't put in the spotlight? That's a great deal!

Hmm, when I add The Witcher 2 to my cart it's says 'All games already in cart' and I can't buy it. Almost like it's a package or something. Let's hope the issue fixes itself.

Same here. Some searching on the Steam forum tells me the same bug happened when Darkness II was on sale and fixed itself after a while.

Picked up Dreamfall and the longest journey. I'm very happy with this sale, I figured i'd buy 1 game at the most but I got 4. Ys Origin, Killing Floor with dlc, Dreamfall, Longest Journey. Total of around 20 bucks. Very excited to try LJ and Dreamfall as i heard the story is great.

Whaaaaat? PixelJunk is 80% off, not even as a Flash deal? What other awesome games have I missed because they weren't put in the spotlight? That's a great deal!

lol There's a lot of good sales going on that aren't dailies, flashes, or community votes. Just search around by genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom