• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuffyZoro

I bought Krater when it was first released because I liked Fat Shark, Lead & Gold and Hamilton's Great Adventure are neat games. Pity that Lead & Gold never found a community but that seems to be the fate of all indie multiplayer games.

That's because Lead & Gold was a janky TF2.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
lol There's a lot of good sales going on that aren't dailies, flashes, or community votes. Just search around by genre.

omg thas so much work tho :< :< :<

inky

I still got $14 out of my $50 budget for this sale, I have played about 40hrs. of several games combined! and there's really nothing I am itching to p&#822;l&#822;a&#822;y&#822; buy... This sale has been so bizarre.

Gbraga

Reviews say that Dreamfall has pretty good story and characters but the gameplay is shit, is that accurate? Should I get New Vegas instead?

GAF meme's in the Dawkin's sense of the meme. Krater has a smallish fanbase when released and most of the fans of the genre considered it a disappointment. Diablo 3 backlash clogs all the toilets and starts flooding GAFs bathroom. You know what they say, a rising shitwater tide raises all ships. Certain games like Torchlight who deserve the praise are lifted along with the more mediocre games like Krater.

Holy shit. GAF explained.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I want to buy stuff :_:

TP17

Bought fallout today to bring my steam sale purchases to the following:

• Alan Wake
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
    [*]Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition
  • GTA Collection
  • Max Payne 3
  • Orcs Must Die

Pretty good sale for me. Although the multiple copies of the GTA PS2 games in my steam library irks me even with them hidden :p

I wish I didn't already own New Vegas and could just buy the Ultimate Edition. Buying all the DLC for the same price just seems wrong. :/

evilhomer

Alright got Longest Journey based on all the good word here. Seems like it will be a good follow-up to Gemini Rue which I've put a few hours into as my first adventure game and enjoying the story and atmosphere aspects of it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

HoosTrax

Reviews say that Dreamfall has pretty good story and characters but the gameplay is shit, is that accurate? Should I get New Vegas instead?
The first game was a standard point-and-click adventure. Fine, no complaints there.

They inexplicably decided to change over to stealth-action in the sequel, with no apparent prior experience in such a genre. The result is what you might expect. I'm not sure which I disliked more, the combat in Dreamfall, or the combat in Gemini Rue. People, if you're an adventure game creator, with no experience in action games, please...just...don't.

Neki

I keep trying to buy The Witcher 2 but both buttons are blacked out saying "All games already in cart." Only happens with Witcher 2 too. >_> How do I fix this?

marrec

Banned
So I know there are a few fans here in the thread so I'll ask, what's the best Hidden Object game on Steam right now? My SO loves them but hates getting bad ones (which admittedly are most of them).

Gbraga

The first game was a standard point-and-click adventure. Fine, no complaints there.

They inexplicably decided to change over to stealth-action in the sequel, with no apparent prior experience in such a genre. The result is what you might expect.

But is it a good stealth-action game or it's just really a bad game with good story?

I wish I didn't already own New Vegas and could just buy the Ultimate Edition. Buying all the DLC for the same price just seems wrong. :/

Agreed :(. And I only played around 10 hours of it anyway. I bought it for $35 on release day. I need to stop, but I can't help it when I see an awesome deal :(.

Damage so far:
Legend of Grimrock
Ys Origin
Ys The Oath in Felghana

Gifted:
Assassins Creed 2
Train Simulator 2012

I missed the Human Revolution sale, I hope it comes back again, and.... I wonder if the Witcher 1/2 are worth it.

So I know there are a few fans here in the thread so I'll ask, what's the best Hidden Object game on Steam right now? My SO loves them but hates getting bad ones (which admittedly are most of them).

My favorites that are on Steam are The Tiny Bang Story, the Midnight Mysteries series (four of them), and I recently played Season of Mystery: Cherry Blossom Murders. If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be Tiny Bang Story. Its aesthetics are charming, tough puzzles, and finding the objects can be tough. The Midnight Mysteries games are great, too, but the second and third games feel more like traditional adventure games with hidden object areas thrown in. Cherry Blossom Murders is one of the more difficult games I've played because of how hard a lot of the items are to find. Which is good, because a lot of these games are on the easy side.

So SteamGAF, I jammed my finger pretty badly playing baseball earlier tonight and now it hurts to use a mouse or type quickly on a KB. Are there any games you recommend playing while my finger is hurt? Maybe something like a slow-paced RPG where I really only use the face buttons? The triggers are painful, as it's my middle-right finger that's hurt.

Might as well repost this while SteamGAF is active. Help, anyone? Also, heading to the doctor right now, as some of the symptoms I've read by googling lead me to believe it may be broken. I'm Canadian and the doctor is 3 blocks away, so no harm in checking :).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Never played a point and click adventure before, but I don't mind a good story. Are The Longest Journey and Dreamfall really worth the dosh?

Petrie

Banned
Thanks for the input guys. I'll wait till at least the Winter sale on Krater then and play it when it's been improved. No rush here, what with about 100 games ranging from Bastion to Amnesia to Ys and Deus Ex in my Steam backlog.

Katoki

My favorites that are on Steam are The Tiny Bang Story, the Midnight Mysteries series (four of them), and I recently played Season of Mystery: Cherry Blossom Murders. If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be Tiny Bang Story. Its aesthetics are charming, tough puzzles, and finding the objects can be tough. The Midnight Mysteries games are great, too, but the second and third games feel more like traditional adventure games with hidden object areas thrown in. Cherry Blossom Murders is one of the more difficult games I've played because of how hard a lot of the items are to find. Which is good, because a lot of these games are on the easy side.

Wow, awesome. Cherry Blossom Murders looks pretty nice too. Will keep an eye on this in the future.

Sora_N

Can someone help me with The Longest Journey? My payment wouldn't go through before, now it wont' even let me checkout.

That's because Lead & Gold was a janky TF2.

It's a third person, wild west-themed, class based shooter, how is it remotely like Team Fortress 2? They don't even have the same number of classes, like five or six. Gunslingers, rangers, trappers, miners and I can't recall what else. Is it because of the team colours, because of the sub-genre of multiplayer game it is?

In the grand scheme of things, it was a fairly unique setting for a multiplayer shooter. Everything else is trying to be CoD or a Quake-like (Nexiuz or that new Ubi one), this one was The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

I bought it for 2.50$ during a sale and managed to squeeze 2 hours of gameplay out of it cos of people farming a sale achievement. I had fun before the servers died.

Tukker

Let's see

Dead Money - One of the most story intensive DLC packs, though the story is mostly self-contained. Also very difficult. Lots of emphasis on survival in a very hostile environment. Because of this, reception on this DLC is pretty split. Some hate it, while others love it to death.
Honest Hearts - This one ties into what the Burned Man is up to after Ceaser tossed him into the Grand Canyon. The DLC itself is merely okay, in my opinion.
Old World Blues - My favorite DLC pack, mostly because the characters in this one are very funny. If you like the goofy retro '50's SCIENCE! aspect of Fallout, this is one to get. Plenty of toys for characters who use energy weapons.
Lonesome Road - This DLC deals with Ed-E and the Ulysses character that they hyped up in the previous DLC packs. A good challenge for high level characters. Ulysses has a lot to say, but it doesn't amount to much. Honestly Ed-E is more interesting than him.

In my opinion I would rank them:

1. Old World Blues
2. Lonesome Road
3. Honest Hearts
4. Dead Money (your mileage will vary)

Nice thanks mate :) I bought Dead money and old world blues.

HoosTrax

But is it a good stealth-action game or it's just really a bad game with good story?
It's awkward gameplay wise, and with a highly unsatisfying ending (and difficult to understand plot along the way). It almost felt pretentious, the way the writer tried to overdo the cryptic thriller aspect. There might be some hipster appeal to the overly convoluted story, but I didn't care for it. (And I loved the first game, and it's one of my personal top adventure games)

Koroviev

Not sure whether to get my sister Recettear or Fallout New Vegas. She didn't end up being too keen on any of the old GTA games since the graphics are rather dated. She loves sandbox games. She has 30 hours in Just Cause 2, which she is teaching herself to mod, more than 100 hours in Gary's Mod (is it a sandbox? I don't really know...) and a ridiculous number of hours in Minecraft. She also really likes sim-type games, including Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon. I'm open to other suggestions concerning what she might enjoy.

So far I've gifted her the Portal games and Terraria.

Danielsan

Purchased Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition and L.A Noir standard edition through I H8 Memes. Saved around €5 that way. Thanks again man!

Gbraga

It's awkward gameplay wise, and with a highly unsatisfying ending (and difficult to understand plot along the way). It almost felt pretentious, the way the writer tried to overdo the cryptic thriller aspect. There might be some hipster appeal to the overly convoluted story, but I didn't care for it. (And I loved the first game, and it's one of my personal top adventure games)

Alright, first one it is

derFeef

Never played a point and click adventure before, but I don't mind a good story. Are The Longest Journey and Dreamfall really worth the dosh?

Amazing adventure games, a little old now and may feel janky, but fantastic story and characters.

Should I be buying Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity for 5 bucks now, or wait till Rebellion goes under 10 during next year's sale? As far as I've heard, Rebellion already has everything from the base game and the other expansion packs, so is there even a reason to buy the prior version now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom