• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

Man what a terrible set of Dailies, I'm so hating checking Steam all the time afraid of missing Flash deals despite knowing they will probably be back again and again.. My wish is that next time they just do like 15 deals per day the entire day without repeats and that's it.

Picking up Divine Cybermancy and Longest Journey. Unsure if I should grab Dreamfall too.

Joe Molotov

But is it a good stealth-action game or it's just really a bad game with good story?

There's really only one stealth-action part around halfway through the game. It's like 30-45 minutes and it's godawful. The rest of the game was pretty cool, although the gameplay mostly boiled down to fetch quests.

Double

Not sure whether to get my sister Recettear or Fallout New Vegas. She didn't end up being too keen on any of the old GTA games since the graphics are rather dated. She loves sandbox games. She has 30 hours in Just Cause 2, which she is teaching herself to mod, more than 100 hours in Gary's Mod (is it a sandbox? I don't really know...) and a ridiculous number of hours in Minecraft. She also really likes sim-type games, including Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon. I'm open to other suggestions concerning what she might enjoy.

So far I've gifted her the Portal games and Terraria.
Easy hard. Gift her both ;)

Koroviev

ßthePenguin;40040287 said:
Easy hard. Gift her both ;)

That's a distinct possibility. How difficult is New Vegas? I played a decent amount of 3, but I haven't really played much of NV. My sister typically prefers "making your own game" and sidequests to working through the main story, though she doesn't have much experience with RPGs.

Markster

What's the word on today's Indie Bundle? SOL, and Demolition Inc. look interesting.
Demolition Inc, at first glance, seems like a modern successor to Blast Corps, but ultimately it's too twitchy and finicky. The precision needed for some of the challenges just isn't there.

Swords and Soldiers is fun. Eventually you'll likely min/max the build order, (and since it's a 1D RTS where everything marches forward at a set pace, there really isn't much else to control) but it's got a nice variety to its 30 levels, and building laser towers is pretty gratifying.

Aaron

Not sure whether to get my sister Recettear or Fallout New Vegas. She didn't end up being too keen on any of the old GTA games since the graphics are rather dated. She loves sandbox games. She has 30 hours in Just Cause 2, which she is teaching herself to mod, more than 100 hours in Gary's Mod (is it a sandbox? I don't really know...) and a ridiculous number of hours in Minecraft. She also really likes sim-type games, including Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon. I'm open to other suggestions concerning what she might enjoy.

So far I've gifted her the Portal games and Terraria.
If she likes mods and modding, there are piles of mods for New Vegas and making your own mods isn't too difficult. Same is true of Fallout 3. Though there's a lot of shooting in both games, and the look of the games is pretty grimy compared to how clean those other games are.

heringer

Hey guys, it's been ages since I last game on a PC. Any recommendations that will run well enough in the below configuration?

Processor Information:
    Vendor:  GenuineIntel
    Speed: 3292 Mhz
    4 logical processors
    2 physical processors
    HyperThreading:  Supported
    FCMOV:  Supported
    SSE2:  Supported
    SSE3:  Supported
    SSSE3:  Supported
    SSE4a:  Unsupported
    SSE41:  Supported
    SSE42:  Supported

Operating System Version:
    Windows 7 (64 bit)
    NTFS:  Supported
    Crypto Provider Codes:  Supported 323 0x0 0x0 0x0

Video Card:
    Driver:  LogMeIn Mirror Driver

DirectX Driver Name:  nvumdshim.dll
    Driver Version:  7.1.542.0
    DirectX Driver Version:  8.17.12.9573
    Driver Date: 22 May 2006
    Desktop Color Depth: 32 bits per pixel
    Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz
    DirectX Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
    Number of Monitors:  1
    Number of Logical Video Cards:  1
    No SLI or Crossfire Detected
    Primary Display Resolution:  1920 x 1080
    Desktop Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Primary Display Size: 26.65" x 15.00"  (30.55" diag)
                                            67.7cm x 38.1cm  (77.6cm diag)
    Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x
    Primary VRAM: 6 MB
    Supported MSAA Modes:  2x 4x 8x

Type2

I was just looking through some stuff and it seems as though I have an extra bastion steam key, if anyone doesn't already own this wonderful game PM me! First one gets the code.

marrec

Banned
When you say it like that it sounds so appealing but the game just didn't click for me.

Did you play it multiplayer?

It only really clicked for me in Multiplayer whenever everyone wasn't too busy doing boring shit (like building).

I love exploring, making new equipment, fighting bosses, doing events and the like. But man is building boring as hell.

Koroviev

If she likes mods and modding, there are piles of mods for New Vegas and making your own mods isn't too difficult. Same is true of Fallout 3. Though there's a lot of shooting in both games, and the look of the games is pretty grimy compared to how clean those other games are.

Normally I wouldn't go with a shooter, but I think she might be okay with the VATS system. She watches a lot of tutorials and LPs on YouTube, so like you said, I think it'd be a good game for her to mess around with.

HoosTrax

When you say it like that it sounds so appealing but the game just didn't click for me.
I'll be the first one to admit that certain games have a certain OCD appeal to them, where they will be boring and won't click with some people, and this is one of them.

Me:
- My base has to be just so.
- I need those blingy-looking gold bricks to decorate it with.
- I need to make the perfect set of defenses and lava moats to ward off those goblins.
- I need to do have one of each NPC as a tenant in my base.
- I need to own every single weapon and armor piece in the game.
- I need to have an herb garden with a sample of every seed in the game.

etc, etc, and this eventually translates to almost a hundred hours of gameplay to satisfy said OCDness :3

Gala

Whats GAFs opinion on Jurassic Park? Is it good on PC? Is it a lot like The Walking Dead or a quick time event shitfest of a movie?

marrec

Banned
I'll be the first one to admit that certain games have a certain OCD appeal to them, where they will be boring and won't click with some people, and this is one of them.

Me:
- I need to make the perfect set of defenses and lava moats to ward off those goblins.

etc, etc, and this eventually translates to almost a hundred hours of gameplay to satisfy said OCDness :3

The great thing about Terrarria is that even if you don't like doing the boring stuff you've described above, you can still do the fun stuff like crafting and exploring and beating bosses. As long as you have a friend that will build a house for you.

Moobabe

Thanks for the input guys. I'll wait till at least the Winter sale on Krater then and play it when it's been improved. No rush here, what with about 100 games ranging from Bastion to Amnesia to Ys and Deus Ex in my Steam backlog.

Ignore these clowns - Krater has been massively patched since release - read any review from the major outlets and I guarantee that most of their complaints have been addressed.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I voted for Shogun 2, it seems like the game the Steam audience would want. It's already been a daily and a flash deal, and after all.

marrec

Banned
Ignore these clowns - Krater has been massively patched since release - read any review from the major outlets and I guarantee that most of their complaints have been addressed.

But most of the complaints were that it was a lifeless shell of a game that built itself from various parts of other games and, much like Frankenstein's Monster, ended up being a creature that was in capable of integrating into human society. Or something like that.

How do you patch in a SOUL good sir?!

Did you play it multiplayer?

It only really clicked for me in Multiplayer whenever everyone wasn't too busy doing boring shit (like building).

I love exploring, making new equipment, fighting bosses, doing events and the like. But man is building boring as hell.

Me:

Was controller support ever added in? I really think that might be what bothered me the most. I had such a difficult time getting around. I hate playing sidescrollers with the keyboard.

Soi-Fong

Day 2 of nothing that I really want

Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity it is

Picked it up since a friend was begging me to play with him (and he said 5 bucks is cheap as hell) and while the entry is pretty complicated, I eventually got the hang of it and I'm enjoying myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom