• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Terraria so damn popular...?

I was wondering the same thing originally. Then I bought the game and started playing with a few friends online... I have wasted about 20 hours on this game so far. It's like a 2D version of minecraft, but with dungeons and bosses and stuff. It has no grinding for experience, but it's a pretty good mix of exploration, building and questing.

Also, my purchases so far:

-Portal 2
-L4D2
-Alan Wake collection
-Bioshock collection
-GTA collection
-Rayman Origins
-Trine 2
-Terraria
-Alice

I think I am pretty much done. Not sure what else I should pick up... I'm a bit disappointed that I missed Sim City 4 though.

Is there any real point to getting L4D when you can do the same campaign on L4D2?

I might be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure you cannot get the L4D achievements by playing the campaigns in L4D2. Also if you want the original L4D experience you will need it because they put in melee weapons and special infected that weren't in the original L4D if you play it via L4D2

Damn, DAMN steam sale.

So far this year (my first one too) is:

Krater
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW)
Plants vs. Zombies
Fallout: New Vegas
Dragon Age: Origins - The Awakening
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy
Dragon Age: Origins
Thief Bundle 2012
Terraria
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Carpe Fulger Bundle
L.A. Noire Complete Edition
Super Meat Boy
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
The Binding Of Isaac
Anomaly: Warzone Earth
Just Cause 2 DLC - Monster Truck
Just Cause 2 DLC - Agency Hovercraft
Just Cause 2 DLC - Rico's Signature Gun
Just Cause 2 DLC - Chevalier Classic
Bioshock Franchise Pack (Summer 2012)
Just Cause
Torchlight
Just Cause 2
Just Cause 2 DLC - Bull's Eye Assault Rifle
Just Cause 2 Black Market Boom Pack
Just Cause 2 DLC: Black Market Aerial Pack
Sanctum
Dungeon Defenders
Company of Heroes
Binary Domain
Limbo
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Grand Theft Auto IV (US/AU)
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Ys Origin
Cave Story+
Penumbra Collectors Pack
The Orange Box
Bastion
Dear Esther
Grand Theft Auto III Trilogy
Left 4 Dead Bundle
Killing Floor (ROW)
Mirror's Edge
Borderlands GOTY
The Walking Dead
Trine 2
Dead Island Complete

HoosTrax

Did you play it multiplayer?

It only really clicked for me in Multiplayer whenever everyone wasn't too busy doing boring shit (like building).

I love exploring, making new equipment, fighting bosses, doing events and the like. But man is building boring as hell.
It kinda clicked for me, but I'm just too damn lazy to build stuff, never did shit on Little Big Planet and didn't even try with Terraria lol
Yeah, that's basically what I meant also haha
Too bad there's no GAF Terraria server. I'm neurotic about base building, and I would have built you guys a mansion to live in while you went out looting and exploring :3 (but bring back some obsidian bricks while you're at it!)

Katoki

Has anyone been able to buy Witcher 2? Have been trying for like 20 minutes now, keep getting errors, gosh.

You'd think you'd see these types of errors when it was more busy. All but one or two of this stuff is already been there seen that and now you guys get errors buying. Nice.

marrec

Banned
Too bad there's no GAF Terraria server. I'm neurotic about base building, and I would have built you guys a mansion to live in while you went out looting and exploring :3 (but bring back some obsidian bricks while you're at it!)

Oh I'm all Terraria'd out. My little group we had did quite literally everything and put in about a total of 240 hours between all of us. A great game, as long as you don't have to build. *lol*

Wok

But most of the complaints were that it was a lifeless shell of a game that built itself from various parts of other games and, much like Frankenstein's Monster, ended up being a creature that was in capable of integrating into human society. Or something like that.

How do you patch in a SOUL good sir?!

You are doing your best to resist buying this game.
Do yourself a favor: buy it and stop pondering whether it is not worth it. Try and judge.
Do you want to wait for the Christmas sales?

Katoki

Hot damn I'd be in for this, too bad indeed. I like my tree houses though. Do you know if those have ever been useful against goblin armies? I've never gotten to that point in single player for some reason even with so many hours. Probably not finding enough crystal hearts or something.

I think Krater is still too expensive for me for an indie game in beta.

Longest Journey + Dreamfall are tempting, but I already picked up the Syberia bundle, so I've reached my adventure game quota.

I've reached my limit anyway for this sale. I won't pay more than $5 on any single thing unless it's something like Gods & Kings for $15.

Gbraga

That sounds so fun! Too bad there's no server search or anything like that, and starting an online game can be a pain in the ass in some cases.

Bricky

Hey guys, it's been ages since I last game on a PC. Any recommendations that will run well enough in the below configuration?

I think most games will run fine on your PC. Your videocard should be able to run Battlefield 3 on medium settings according to a vid I found on Youtube, so that's good enough to play most games without any trouble. :p

I'd recommend, if you have the money, to buy the Valve-collection. It includes every Valve-game ever and is a great way to start of your Steam/PC-collection (especially if you've never played Half Life 1/2 or Portal 1/2).

What type of games do you like? I'll see if I can make any further recommendations based on that. :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I was actually going to start playing something...

But I'll do it right after my Rocky marathon.

BRB!

Recall

Steam sales make me weird. I have no problem spending £30 on a new Xbox release yet I feel unless it's under a fiver on Steam I'm not going to buy it.

marrec

Banned
You are doing your best to resist buying this game.
Do yourself a favor: buy it and stop pondering whether it is not worth it. Try and judge.
Do you want to wait for the Christmas sales?

I'd rather just avoid it entirely.

I already bought one mediocre loot fest (Dungeon Siege III) and with Diablo III still taking up my time and Torchlight 2 due to take up my time.

I'll wait till I'm all out of ARPGs before jumping into Krater.

Scoops

Banned
How's EYE? Everytime I look at the screens I want it then I read reviews and meh.

Also how's Nexiuz? Is it really that dead?

Koroviev

Steam sales make me weird. I have no problem spending £30 on a new Xbox release yet I feel unless it's under a fiver on Steam I'm not going to buy it.

I know that feel. I've been buying $20 PSP games for the Vita, but will hardly even consider a game on Steam for the same price.

SlickVic

Pickups so Far:

Assassin's Creed Revelations: Gold Edition- hopefully can get caught up with this series before ACIII hits
The Walking Dead- really like what I've been hearing about this one. Sounds like the type of zombie game I always wanted to play
Witcher 2- someone was kind enough to gift me the first game earlier but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Hearing all the good stuff about the 2nd game makes me real tempted to just start with W2, but I just dislike starting stories halfway through.

Budget for this sale for me was about $50, so kind of happy that I don't think I'll be going over. Only deal I sort of regret missing out on was Sim City 4 for $5, since I'm not sure if that'll come back. But whatever, there's always the holiday sale.

marrec

Banned
How's EYE? Everytime I look at the screens I want it then I read reviews and meh.

EYE is great if you can stand the terrible interface and overall jankiness. The different systems work well together and the setting is very Deus Ex or V:tM. I enjoyed my time with it, but it's not without it's share of faults.

mackattk

Tell me about it, I am stressing over spending 200, when that is the price of like 4-8 console games.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Not enough space in game IMO. Minecraft is great for things like that since it has effectively unlimited real estate but Terraria doesn't and would likely fill up really fast.

marrec

Banned
Not enough space in game IMO. Minecraft is great for things like that since it has effectively unlimited real estate but Terraria doesn't and would likely fill up really fast.

The Large Terraria worlds are huge! It would take quite a bit to fill one up, if we're talking like, 20 people on a single world then ya that could be an issue. (Not with size really, but with resources.)

gdt

4 "hidden sales" I'm looking at.

Beat Hazard Complete (a def, I think)
Syberia Bundle, dunno. It takes a special kind of adventure game to hook me in.
The Maw, I don't know anything about this at all.
Zeno Clash, same as above.

Opinions?

EYE is interesting. I played for nearly an hour during last sale for achievement. The plot and the gameplay seemed different and I marked it for playing but never got around and played it completely.

Dunlop

Picked it up since a friend was begging me to play with him (and he said 5 bucks is cheap as hell) and while the entry is pretty complicated, I eventually got the hang of it and I'm enjoying myself.
Wait, this game has multi player?

My buddy just purchased it today, so that clinches it :)

wazoo

That is worth of a psycho analysis, like all people coming here for asking if some game is worth 2E

Toki767

Someone talk me into/out of buying the Alan Wake collection for $10. Or should I just get the original? Or should I just get American Nightmare? Too many choices.

EYE is great if you can stand the terrible interface and overall jankiness. The different systems work well together and the setting is very Deus Ex or V:tM. I enjoyed my time with it, but it's not without it's share of faults.

Does the interface change at all when using a controller?

Moobabe

But most of the complaints were that it was a lifeless shell of a game that built itself from various parts of other games and, much like Frankenstein's Monster, ended up being a creature that was in capable of integrating into human society. Or something like that.

How do you patch in a SOUL good sir?!

It's a fine question - I think there's definitely an identity there - the visual style, characters and music really contribute to it. Mechanically, maybe, it's lacking. It's not for everyone (despite my constant assertions to the opposite) but it's worth a look.

Koroviev

That is worth of a psycho analysis, like all people coming here for asking if some game is worth 2E

Well, I think people are typically asking about games they wouldn't be considering were they not on sale. If I'm spending $60 on a console game (very rare these days), then I know that it's my type of thing and that I'm going to enjoy it. I don't take risks on $60 games.

Enco

Finally got to play all my games (for at least 20 minutes)

M&B: Warband - Brilliant
F: NV Ultimate - Great
Bully - Good
Metro 2033 - Good
Alan Wake Pack - Good
RF: Guerrilla - Good
HL2 - Good (kinda cheating. Last time I played it was years ago but I got it in the sale)
Trine 2 - Pretty good (coop or bust)
M&B: Napoleon - Crap

Overall I'm very happy. Nothing else I want in the sale but it's still fun to check. Although it has been disappointing ever since Fallout was on sale.

H3xum

Someone talk me into/out of buying the Alan Wake collection for $10. Or should I just get the original? Or should I just get American Nightmare? Too many choices.

I personally loved the game, the moodiness of the atmosphere and just overall tone that's set by the story has left quite an impression on me. You're not going to crap your pants with the combat or anything like that, but, you can get that from any game.

For what it's worth, I find it to be worth way more than 10 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom