• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is New Vegas good? I mean, i've heard good thing, but I wanna hear it from you guys :p I'm not much of an RPG person, but I loved Skyrim? I don't know how good of a comparison that is.

Yes, I liked it a lot. It's built from the same engine so you will notice a lot of similarities. People called Fallout 3 "Oblivion with guns" for a reason. You'll want to play the combat using the VATS mode, and not like an FPS.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
*lol*

I know what you're saying, but that last sentence literally made me laugh out loud considering I think STALKER is a game stuffed with good intentions that it never really delivers on.

I'd agree with you as far as the original STALKER and Clear Sky... but Pripyat nailed it. For me, at least.

EYE is just bad :(

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
You can try getting like a pre-paid debit card at a store, and then see if you can add money to your steam wallet or just use that to buy games. I've never done it, but it's worth a try, or if anyone that can confirm that this works.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm good. Just in case you ever need to use them, debit cards do work on the Steam store (at least in the USA) ...but my bank won't give me any cash back/gift cards for using debit so I'm probably not gonna bother. There's nothing I'm super OMFG hyped for, so I have no idea whether I'll get around to playing the games I'm buying before the Winter sale. I got Bastion the first time it hit $7.50 and only just played it yesterday, for example.

tl;dr: You're an awesome poster for making suggestions but don't worry about my first-world problems. :)

Sai-kun

Banned
New Vegas tells a story way better than Skyrim, it's environments might not be as pretty but that's what happens when its a desert vs a lush mountainous continent. It's a different lore set all together, so they're hard to compare, but, gameplay wise, ESPECIALLY combat, NV is a far superior game

Sold. Regular or Ultimate edition?

HoosTrax

Alright, DA:O it is then. Let me go download that so I can play it once I get home and oh-sweet-Jesus-it's-25GB. Ughhh I'm down to 50GB out of 700GB on my Steam drive. I need the hard drive industry version of a Steam sale.

marrec

Banned
I'd agree with you as far as the original STALKER and Clear Sky... but Pripyat nailed it. For me, at least.

EYE is just bad :(

People keep telling me that CoP is actually good, but SoC left such a bad taste in my mouth that I've yet to install CoP.

(Well, I installed it and farted around for an hour or so and then uninstalled it.)

H3xum

Sold. Regular or Ultimate edition?

Ultimate son

If for no other reason, the level cap. First time around at launch I was loving the crap out of the game, exploring every corner, but then stopped when I hit the level cap and just went meh mainline the story.

tmarques

Fallout 3's DLC was better, so, unless you want the level cap to go up, I wouldn't fret.

And yes, you can. Purchase it then when you get home bring up your steam, go to your library, type in the name of the game you bought off site and click install

Ah... I had forgotten about the level cap. Playing FO3 seemed pretty pointless when I hit lv30 so I remember putting it aside until the DLC came out. Totally worth the extra 5 bucks (and I guess the developers deserve that much at least).

Bought and it gave me the option to install remotely. Pretty cool.

Thank you kind sir.

I can't believe I bought JC2 for 20 bucks for the 360 and thought it was an amazing deal... Still haven't even removed the shrinkwrap.

I don't think I'll ever buy a console again. These prices are insane. Although... is it normal to feel slightly guilty, as if you were stealing from the developers?

First of all there is almost no cost to developers to deliver a game digitally. No cost to produce discs or manuals, or boxes. No shipping costs. And the 30% that Valve makes off of each sale of their games is far less than they would be giving to a brick and mortar store that is selling their games.

Now look at the the top 20 list for top sellers on the Steam front page. That is based on on dollars made, not total copies sold. How many games do you see in that list that aren't at least 50% off? Just looks ta Thief at 75% off and only costs $6.75 and it is making more money than Skyrim at $30.

Lingitiz

Is the New Vegas DLC good? I already own the base game but rebuying the ultimate edition would actually be the same price as getting them separate I believe.

People keep telling me that CoP is actually good, but SoC left such a bad taste in my mouth that I've yet to install CoP.

If you don't like SoC, you probably won't like CoP. I wasn't a big fan of SoC either, but everyone said that CoP was better. However, I still found it to be really janky and really boring.

reson8or

I'm really on the fence with E.Y.E., everything I've read warns me not to get it, and god help me I looked at the update logs... but my inner cyber-punk is fighting me tooth and nail.

The screenshots also show creatures.... I think I just talked myself out of it.

Thanos2001

Neo Member
The Gratuitous Battle Pack says it includes 2 items. Gratuitous Space Battles has 6 DLC, 5 of which are included in the Complete pack for $6.45. That says it includes 6 items so its only missing "The Parasites" which costs $2.03 during the sale.

So am I right in assuming if you want everything in the Gratuitous line at the best price you need to buy:

Gratuitous Space Battles - Complete Pack - $6.45
Gratuitous Space Battles - The Parasites - $2.03
Gratuitous Tank Battles - $6.79

for a total of $15.27

I preordered GSB before it came out so I never got a steam key. I loved it, but I never bought any of the dlc. Now I'm faced with double dipping to get the best deal. Buying just the DLC would be madness and I'm not sure it would work since I got it before it was sold on Steam.

I think I'm gonna skip GTB. If the pattern follows suit, I should be able to pick up the full game next year for a song.

Thoughts? Am I doing the math wrong?

tmarques

Here's an example story (not really spoilery). I wanted to free some slaves from a compound. I sneaked in at night and took out all the patrolling guards. It took a while but I did it and it was amazingly satisfying. First few tries I got the slaves killed. There are a load of options (e.g. how do you deal with the explosive collars?) and seeing the consequences is great. You can kill most people if you don't like them and the game feels very open.

edit: that story sounded more exciting in my head

Wasn't that from FO3? And no, it's not just in your head, it's one of my favourite sidequests in any RPG, ever.

Sai-kun

Banned
Ultimate son

If for no other reason, the level cap. First time around at launch I was loving the crap out of the game, exploring every corner, but then stopped when I hit the level cap and just went meh mainline the story.

lm8nI.png

Done. Thanks guys ;) Can't wait to start on this tonight!

TheChits

How is the Renegade Ops online coop? smooth? fun? thinking of getting it even if it won't go on sale anymore (or has it been already?)

Game is really fun and the online has been silky smooth for me. I recommend using a normal controller for it though as kb/m feels terribly awkward to me

zkylon

zkylewd
New Vegas is amazing, specially modded (like all things), and for 10 bucks you've got yourself a couple hundreds of hours of playthroughs. Every RPG fan (willing to tolerate the 2010isms, mainly of first person shooting) should do themselves a favor and get it.

It really came out of nowhere.

I knew nothing about it apart from the odd youtube video and it's probably my favourite pick up of the sale (well I got it for free from the Amazon thread but it still counts).
I love it, it's one of my favorite games in a long time and it's probably the first game I install every time I reformat. I've never conquered the world or anything, I just like starting over and finding new stuff to do, like running a band of robbers or helping a fallen king regain his throne. It's amazing :D

(Well, I installed it and farted around for an hour or so and then uninstalled it.)
Yeah, I don't see why CoP would change anyone's mind of STALKER.

HoosTrax

Day Z(ed)
I don't really understand it either, because the number of concurrent players for ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead hasn't increased by all that much in the past few months. Unless running the mod causes the game to not show up in the Steam charts anymore.

zlatko

Banned
Day Z should really become its own fully fledged/budgeted game. Such a great idea.

Can't check at work but how much is Arma 2 on US store?

Giard

Has the Fallout collection (1, 2, tactics) gone on sale any? I figured it might hit 75% when New Vegas did, but that's not the case. I want to pick up that and Cryostasis but wasn't sure if they would dip lower.
Not yet. Really disappointed that it didn't go to -75%. If the prices didn't go down yet, I really doubt they will.

Nooooo! Why does Jurassic Park have to be $7.50!? I voted Longest Journey because I never played it before and was getting ready to buy it until I saw JP on sale. You guys would never steer me wrong. What do I do!? D:

DSmalls84

Not yet. Really disappointed that it didn't go to -75%. If the prices didn't go down yet, I really doubt they will.

Yeah with the amount of repeat deals I was kind of thinking the same thing. Just forgot to check to see if it was discounted when Fallout 3 was.

Recall

What's with Arma II selling so well with only 20% discount?

Not to be rude but many people can afford games at fuller prices and are not dependant on sales to buy the games they want. DayZ is popular, clearly price will not stand in the way as 20% is better than nothing.

I don't know, my buddy and I played ended up trying and then playing quite a bit of E.Y.E.: DC and I thought it was fun, unique, looked good, etc. Quite happy with that purchase. Its a little cumbersome, probably not forever one, but I give it a thumbsup. You could do a lot worse IMO with $2.49

XEROWUN

Neo Member
bought witcher 1 enhanced version for 2.50 and caved on plants vs zombies GOTY vesion after i missed it during the poll/flash sales FFFFFFFFUUUUUu

Soi-Fong

Alan Wake. Yes, no? I'm trying to keep under budget but it's a game I've been wanting to play for a while. But I also really wanna try out DayZ, so also waiting for a drop on Arma II CO.
So far my games bought have been Sins: Trinity and Metro 2033. So hard since I've also been eyeing Witcher 2.

Enco

Alan Wake. Yes, no? I'm trying to keep under budget but it's a game I've been wanting to play for a while. But I also really wanna try out DayZ, so also waiting for a drop on Arma II CO.
Haven't played it much at all but I would say yes.

Bargain price and game looks great.

ImRight

A lot of people really love the idea of Day Z.

Then they play Day Z.

And realize that it's still ARMA behind all that and they're not near hardcore enough for it.

*lol*

Heh, the arma 2 aspect of it didnt put me off, i actually quite like a break from the likes of Bf3, i think the thing is, Day Z is still quite rough and has lot of bugs that are just Simply Game breaking for me,

of course this is to be expected i mean its still an Alpha is it not? (i havent tried the latest patch)

but the main thing that killed it for me was that i couldnt even use my fists or start with any type of melee weapon, i dont mind having to take it REALLY slow and sneak around the majority of Z's to scavange my first weapon but, i mean even if it was Really Ineffective and Super hard to kill even one zombie just the fact i can't do anything but RUN if i dont have a Gun/Xbow was super irritating.

derExperte

There's a good chance AW will be repeated on the last day. So you could wait for ARMA. Or just get Wake, the PC version is my goty so far.

H3xum

Two totally different games. The atmosphere, story, and presentation you get with Alan Wake is (in my humble opinion) second to none for that kind of game. I don't regret playing full price for every bit of that series

ShaneB

Only thing about Journey is that it only runs in 640x480 due to the art assets. So if you got a widescreen monitor that doesn't scale, you're going to be playing in a little box.

I'll always suggest people run it windowed. Keeps the art in the correct ratio and looks as it should.

I'm feeling generous, so perhaps I'll give away some copies of TLJ when I get home from work in a couple hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom