• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Anyone ever play or hear of Crash Time 3? It looks like a crappy Burnout clone. Any fun?

Jak140

I've owned Fallout NV for maybe a year and only played like an hour of it since buying it, and here I am debating whether I should buy Fallout 3 GOTY for $5, Fallout NV Ultimate for $10 to get the DLC, just get both, or neither since I probably won't play them anyway. Dammit Steam.

Volcynika

If you have bought a game, then YES it does get removed from your wishlist.
Not sure why everyone was saying no.

On the flipside, if you use a product code to activate a game on Steam, it does NOT get removed from your wishlist. Friends and myself have seen this happen.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just wanted to thank yet another SC2GAFer for the gift! Thank you sooooo much Crow ♥!

SteamGAF and SC2GAF is in my ♥

ZKMgf.jpg

Man The Longest Journey has not aged well. As much as I love adventure games, I don't think I can stomach the aliasing and late 90's FMV characters :( Dialogue seems very stilted too.

metalshade

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Might have to do something with app-ids of the store item and the item in your library not matching up.

That's funny.
I had a rather long wishlist at the start of the sale, and every single one I bought has been removed, and I thought to myself that it was handy. Weird that it doesn't always apply though.

Double

For all the people trying out The Longest Journey, be aware that it does fall prey to the old school point and click adventure "god awful logic" trap. There are a few real weird puzzles in there.

As I've recommended before though (several times in the last few days, I think) the site http://www.uhs-hints.com/ is really good for this kind of game. IMO a lot of old school adventures are practically unplayable now due to the terrible cat hair mustache style puzzles and I found when I tried to go back and play them I often go to a FAQ for a puzzle much more quickly than I should because I just assume the puzzle is something illogical even when it turns out to not be.

That website is great for giving you enough hints to solve the puzzles in a game without resorting to going straight to the answer and possibly spoiling something for yourself.
Ill keep that page in mind (bookmarks)
I guess i still would feel to much cheated on myself tho... god i will never finish DoTT ever =(

Juan Carlo

Neo Member
Plus, for people wondering, the Meridian4 pack is terrible. It's full of low rated games, trashware, and games from the late 1990s and early 2000s that Meridian4 acquired the rights to then unceremoniously dumped onto steam with little to no support (so many of them will not work on modern systems).

Just save yourself the money and buy Syberia 1 and 2 and Scratches separately, as they are the only games in the whole pack worth playing. Robin Hood is also good, but that doesn't work on most modern graphics cards anyway.

The Grotesque Tactics games have their defenders, but I've never liked them (too simplistic and buggy and the humor doesn't seem to translate from the German). Same with the Still Life series, which is awful (even though, again, some seem to like it).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It doesn't look or even play like Burnout, it's a funny game, it's the best of the series, I really enjoyed it

So you'd get that over Crash Time 2? Because I was thinking of just getting 2 (since it's cheaper) in case it's total rubbish. But if Crash Time 3 is kind of fun, I'd be into getting it. I like a good destructive racer ever now and again.

HoosTrax

Btw, that UHS Hints site reminded me how terrible I am at adventure games sometimes, despite liking the genre overall. The very first puzzle in the first episode of Sam and Max (swiss cheese), I managed to gloss over the most obvious place in the entire room and examined every single other location before giving up and resorting to a walkthrough.

heringer

Holy shit, Arkham City runs great on my GeForce 5250m... Just tried the demo.

I'm tempted to buy at $20... any idea if the price will drop even more soon? I don't follow Steam all that much (I will now!).

Also, LA Noire for $5... yay or nay?

And lastly, is the Alan Wake expansion standalone? Is it worth it? How long is it? I enjoyed the original on my 360 for what's worth... just don't remember anything about the story.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Anyone got a spare L4D2 from the 4-pack? Was thinking of getting it for a friend to gift

Edit: no longer need it

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Btw, that UHS Hints site reminded me how terrible I am at adventure games sometimes, despite liking the genre overall. The very first puzzle in the first episode of Sam and Max (swiss cheese), I managed to gloss over the most obvious place in the entire room and examined every single other location before giving up and resorting to a walkthrough.

Those are the best moments to use the site IMO. It will point you towards the correct answer without going the traditional walkthrough route of DO THIS EXACT THING.

It's very easy to accidentally gloss over or miss something obvious in those kind of games so the UHS gives you an option to not completely ruin the puzzles you're having a hard time with.

Firebrand

I'm tempted to buy at $20... any idea if the price will drop even more soon? I don't follow Steam all that much (I will now!).
It's been 66% off during this sale, twice. Don't think it's been a daily deal though.

Also, LA Noire for $5... yay or nay?

And lastly, is the Alan Wake expansion standalone? Is it worth it? How long is it? I enjoyed the original on my 360 for what's worth... just don't remember anything about the story.

For 20 bucks you can get Arham Assylum GOTY, Arkham City Complete, and Gotham Impostors complete.

Just wait for a sale

Chesskid1

Banned
really hoping prince of persia goes on a repeat.

was able to get arkham city, saints row 3 and alan wake all on a repeat sale. prince of persia is all im really missing now.

haven't really been paying attention to the sales due to other things + i said i wasn't going to buy stuff, but i changed my mind :p

Ledsen

Anybody ever get this message when they try to redeem a game from their inventory? It's happening with my copy of Fallout: New Vegas.

BpPdc.jpg

I bought this myself and put it in my inventory because I wanted to wait to download it. Now when i try to activate it I get this message.

You know you don't have to download games you buy?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Plus, for people wondering, the Meridian4 pack is terrible. It's full of low rated games, trashware, and games from the late 1990s and early 2000s that Meridian4 acquired the rights to then unceremoniously dumped onto steam with little to no support (so many of them will not work on modern systems).

Just save yourself the money and buy Syberia 1 and 2 and Scratches separately, as they are the only games in the whole pack worth playing. Robin Hood is also good, but that doesn't work on most modern graphics cards anyway.

The Grotesque Tactics games have their defenders, but I've never liked them (too simplistic and buggy and the humor doesn't seem to translate from the German). Same with the Still Life series, which is awful (even though, again, some seem to like it).

If Syberia 1 and 2 and Scratches aren't getting any support on Steam you should probably buy them from GOG. Great community over there.

You know you don't have to download games you buy?

Putting it in your inventory keeps it from cluttering up your regular game list until you're ready for it.

Dacvak

Anyone got a spare L4D2 from the 4-pack? Was thinking of getting it for a friend to gift

Not yet, but I was thinking about buying a four-pack just to have a few spare. If at least one other person wants to get in, I'll buy it.

steadfast

The flash sales seem pointless if they are just going to throw the same games up for a daily deal.

It is if someone is able to be online at all times during the sale, but as we've seen proven with votes for Fable 3 and Sanctum, there are clearly plenty of people that are appreciating multiple chances at goodies.

Played the two available seasons of The Walking Dead and would like to ask for any recommendations for any other adventure games in a similar vein. Hit
my wallet
, GAF.

Does anybody happen to have a copy of The Walking Dead in their inventory? I backed out of buying it a few days ago and now want it, I'm kind of fickle like that.

So you'd get that over Crash Time 2? Because I was thinking of just getting 2 (since it's cheaper) in case it's total rubbish. But if Crash Time 3 is kind of fun, I'd be into getting it. I like a good destructive racer ever now and again.

I'm sure you will enjoy CT3, but if you want to try the series, you can play CT2 first, and if you like it, then you can buy CT3, it's your choise bro!

kaskade

I bought Witcher 2 and L4D2. I have like 31 cents in my wallet left. Looks like I'm throwing in the towel.

Who am I kidding. I have to spend that last 31 cents.

aasoncott

Really, really, really regretting not biting on Payday. Suddenly all I want in life is some simple co-op FPS goodness. I'm considering grabbing E.Y.E., but it seems overly complicated -- I don't want something I need to invest time in to enjoy. L4D and L4D2 were perfect.

Any chance anyone picked up a spare copy I could buy off them? Or is there any chance it'll show up again on the last day? I'm kind of doubting it.

HoosTrax

It is if someone is able to be online at all times during the sale, but as we've seen proven with votes for Fable 3 and Sanctum, there are clearly plenty of people that are appreciating multiple chances at goodies.
It's kind of cruel if you ask me. I managed to pass the first two times SR3 went on sale, but I ended up biting on the third. It's like they won't take no for an answer.

frozzted

Anybody ever get this message when they try to redeem a game from their inventory? It's happening with my copy of Fallout: New Vegas.

I bought this myself and put it in my inventory because I wanted to wait to download it. Now when i try to activate it I get this message.

I had this problem with Hoard yesterday. It was in my gift inventory since Winter sale. I just tried again later in the day, and it let me redeem it.

Dacvak

Is anyone interested in going in on a Left 4 Dead 2 4-pack? As of right now, we have:

• Wario64
  • Dacvak

One or two more people and I'll pull the trigger. $3.75 per person.

Koroviev

My sister is leaning toward New Vegas, but then I remembered that Fallout 3 goty edition is also on sale. However, the Steam page says "Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7." What's up with that? Also, is there any way to disable the GFWL DRM?

Which game has the better mods? I don't know if I'd go with the ultimate edition of NV for her, if only because I've read that most of the DLC is very difficult in comparison to the main game.

I'm terrified that I'm not going to get the badge for Voting every day in the sale. I have all the other ones, and just completed the vote 20 times badge, but I honestly can't remember if I voted on the first day of the sale or not, or for that matter if I even knew about the sale on the first day.

I'm going to be really bummed if I lose out on the summer sale badge over such a stupid technicality.

JAGII

Neo Member
This is probably a stupid question, but is there anything similar to Torchlight/Diablo in the sale? Torchlight is the first and only game in that genre I've played, and I loved it but have no interest in Diablo III (especially after listening to the most recent Idle Thumbs).

knitoe

I sure like wasting money buying games I already have not on steam, especially when 75% off appears and my sanity disappears.

Bought again:
Prince of Persia collection
La Noire complete
Alan Wake franchise
GTA4 complete bundle
Fallout 3 GOTY
Fallout NV ultimate
Trine bundle
Dead Space pack

New:
Stalker SOC
Stalker COP
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
The Longest Journey
Limbo

Total: $105.67

Koroviev

Really, really, really regretting not biting on Payday. Suddenly all I want in life is some simple co-op FPS goodness. I'm considering grabbing E.Y.E., but it seems overly complicated -- I don't want something I need to invest time in to enjoy. L4D and L4D2 were perfect.

Any chance anyone picked up a spare copy I could buy off them? Or is there any chance it'll show up again on the last day? I'm kind of doubting it.

This is how I felt about Legend of Grimrock, lol. "Huh, don't know anything about it, don't care." *after the sales* "A Finnish Etrian Odyssey...it's all I've ever wanted! (;_;)" Thankfully, another GAFer had a spare!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom