• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

Alan Wake. Yes, no? I'm trying to keep under budget but it's a game I've been wanting to play for a while. But I also really wanna try out DayZ, so also waiting for a drop on Arma II CO.
So far my games bought have been Sins: Trinity and Metro 2033. So hard since I've also been eyeing Witcher 2.

It's not bad, it had one stand out set piece for me but for the most part it was fairly repetitive with an alright story.

For the price though you won't go wrong.

Soi-Fong

I'll always suggest people run it windowed. Keeps the art in the correct ratio and looks as it should.

I'm feeling generous, so perhaps I'll give away some copies of TLJ when I get home from work in a couple hours.

You're soo nice! Awesome! haha

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh man, I've been going through all the hidden sales and whatnot, and there are some AWESOME games for $2 or less. Lots of really old-school, campy shooters and stuff. Games that'll be fun for a two-hour retro trip here and there. I'm really thinking of grabbing this pack, too. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15578/

It's pretty cheap, comes with a ton of games, and definitely has a few gems.

wazoo

It hasn't dropped yet during the summer sale. It drops often though, I remember buying it for 5 bucks.

what is funny with the steam obsession is that deals are completely unseen elsewhere. Bloodlines, fully patched and digital, was 4E last week on dotemu.com DRM free.

Soi-Fong

Anyone also here think Dreamfall will go on sale or should I just pony up the TLJ bundle? 6.74 I'm guessing isn't bad, but I'm still confused on what's so great about the game..

I'll always suggest people run it windowed. Keeps the art in the correct ratio and looks as it should.

I'm feeling generous, so perhaps I'll give away some copies of TLJ when I get home from work in a couple hours.

Now you tell me! D:

It's ok though. I'm just being extremely picking now because I only have $6.09 left in my Steam wallet. :(

Are Lonesome Road and Old World Blues worth picking up for New Vegas?

Old World Blues is the strangest bit of Fallout content I've ever seen and is funny. Pretend somebody ripped a bunch of the corny Sci-Fi tropes of the 60s and put them into Fallout. Lonesome Road is the wrap up of the DLC and is about Ulysses, the courier who turned down the chip job, and kind gives a background on the player character before New Vegas. They are totally worth picking up I promise.

So does Bloodlines usually go for less than $14.99? I've been waiting for it to drop and it hasn't yet.

It dropped for the first time on this year's winter sales and that sale was repeated various days some months after, then never returning to a sale.
Its a very strange game to see on this type of sales so it could probably appear at the end, or not appear this summer sales what could mean the game is not getting a disccount ever again (at least in the next years).
Or it could not appear this sales to appear in winter, so who knows. The game has a strange pattern for sales.

Fireblend

Banned
Alan Wake. Yes, no? I'm trying to keep under budget but it's a game I've been wanting to play for a while. But I also really wanna try out DayZ, so also waiting for a drop on Arma II CO.
So far my games bought have been Sins: Trinity and Metro 2033. So hard since I've also been eyeing Witcher 2.

YES. It's brilliant. Everything from the atmosphere to the way the game is structured is just perfect.

Damage so far...

Civ 5
Costume Quest
Dear Esther
Fear
Fear2
Fear3
LA Noire
Portal 2
Psychonaughts
The Ship
Stacking
Stalker: SoC
Stalker: CS
Stalkers: CoD
Trine
Trine 2
Witcher Enhanced
Witcher 2 Enhanced

Right around $80... Bit more than I wanted to spend, but thats a lot of game time for that price. I'm still waiting to see an ARMA drop and maybe a dirt 2 and borderlands return.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
For all the people trying out The Longest Journey, be aware that it does fall prey to the old school point and click adventure "god awful logic" trap. There are a few real weird puzzles in there.

As I've recommended before though (several times in the last few days, I think) the site http://www.uhs-hints.com/ is really good for this kind of game. IMO a lot of old school adventures are practically unplayable now due to the terrible cat hair mustache style puzzles and I found when I tried to go back and play them I often go to a FAQ for a puzzle much more quickly than I should because I just assume the puzzle is something illogical even when it turns out to not be.

That website is great for giving you enough hints to solve the puzzles in a game without resorting to going straight to the answer and possibly spoiling something for yourself.

steadfast

With New Vegas I just broke $100 spent. Previous sales have all been under $20. I'm not sure what's different this time, but it's nuts.

Anybody ever get this message when they try to redeem a game from their inventory? It's happening with my copy of Fallout: New Vegas.

BpPdc.jpg

I bought this myself and put it in my inventory because I wanted to wait to download it. Now when i try to activate it I get this message.

Sora_N

Can someone please help me out with TLJ? It's not working at all, been trying for over 3 hours already. I thought it was just my work internet, but I tried on my phone's data and it still won't checkout. I have PayPal ready.

Addnan

I want to say my sale is over, but I know its not. I can't believe I missed Dungeon Defenders the other night :( Need that back and Ys. and possibly SSFIV

Wok

Oh man, I've been going through all the hidden sales and whatnot, and there are some AWESOME games for $2 or less. Lots of really old-school, campy shooters and stuff. Games that'll be fun for a two-hour retro trip here and there. I'm really thinking of grabbing this pack, too. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15578/

It looks so BeMine indie bundle.

There a list of these hidden sales somewhere?

Gintoki

Anybody ever get this message when they try to redeem a game from their inventory? It's happening with my copy of Fallout: New Vegas.

http://i.imgur.com/BpPdc.jpg[IMG]

I bought this myself and put it in my inventory because I wanted to wait to download it. Now when i try to activate it I get this message.[/QUOTE]

Yea, just wait for a bit then try again.

Exuro

Old World Blues is the strangest bit of Fallout content I've ever seen and is funny. Pretend somebody ripped a bunch of the corny Sci-Fi tropes of the 60s and put them into Fallout. Lonesome Road is the wrap up of the DLC and is about Ulysses, the courier who turned down the chip job, and kind gives a background on the player character before New Vegas. They are totally worth picking up I promise.
Thank you. Purchased along with Pripyat.

Zia

Was the Mac ver of Shank released on Steam today? I have a new game in my Mac library and can't guess what it'd be aside from that...

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Lol, the average Metacritic score for the Meridian pack is about a 55. I still kind of want it, if anything just to add, like, 30 games to my collection for $25.

Really, really stupid reason. There are probably only three or four games I'd even bother ever installing in that pack. Yet for some reason, the whole thing puts a smile on my face. Maybe it's because it's rare to see a publisher that consistently bad. I mean, seriously, there is not a wide spread of scores on their games... They're all nuggets of poop. It's really impressive, in a way.

derExperte

BpPdc.jpg

I bought this myself and put it in my inventory because I wanted to wait to download it. Now when i try to activate it I get this message.

Spam the 'Add to my library button' constantly, eventually it will work. I and others had the same problem with games in the inventory.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Having played Krater a bit more I have to say I'm heading toward a good recommendation for this. The updates have really transformed the game and I'm having a blast. Considering I've only played about an hour I can't put down a serious judgment, but I will definitely be playing more today. Loving the implants/boosters system, the overworld map with all the cities and Fallout style random encounters, crafting, character recruitment and upgrading etc. And from what I hear I haven't seen shit yet. I'd like to play enough today to get a recommendation up on Steam, we'll see. I don't wanna be too hasty.

DeVeAn

So I already own Fallout NV yet its says I own the Ultimate edition and I know I don't. Can I buy the Ultimate and get the DLC that way? Its cheaper then buying them all.

HoosTrax

For all the people trying out The Longest Journey, be aware that it does fall prey to the old school point and click adventure "god awful logic" trap. There are a few real weird puzzles in there.

As I've recommended before though (several times in the last few days, I think) the site http://www.uhs-hints.com/ is really good for this kind of game. IMO a lot of old school adventures are practically unplayable now due to the terrible cat hair mustache style puzzles and I found when I tried to go back and play them I often go to a FAQ for a puzzle much more quickly than I should because I just assume the puzzle is something illogical even when it turns out to not be.

That website is great for giving you enough hints to solve the puzzles in a game without resorting to going straight to the answer and possibly spoiling something for yourself.
Oh god, you just reminded me of Jack Keene (a fairly decent pirate point-and-click that's no longer offered on Steam), that had one of these infamous unintuitive mash-every-inventory-object-together-until-it-works types of contraptions that you had to figure out how to make.

Edit: oops I lied, Jack Keane is still on Steam, I just can't spell

I got it for $5 bucks last summer sale. It does go on sale.

what is funny with the steam obsession is that deals are completely unseen elsewhere. Bloodlines, fully patched and digital, was 4E last week on dotemu.com DRM free.

It dropped for the first time on this year's winter sales and that sale was repeated various days some months after, then never returning to a sale.
Its a very strange game to see on this type of sales so it could probably appear at the end, or not appear this summer sales what could mean the game is not getting a disccount ever again (at least in the next years).
Or it could not appear this sales to appear in winter, so who knows. The game has a strange pattern for sales.

Well Bloodlines is (hopefully) the last game I'm waiting to buy before the end of the sale, so hopefully it drops soon so I won't be tempted to buy anything else.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, the average Metacritic score for the Meridian pack is about a 55. I still kind of want it, if anything just to add, like, 30 games to my collection for $25.

Really, really stupid reason. There are probably only three or four games I'd even bother ever installing in that pack. Yet for some reason, the whole thing puts a smile on my face. Maybe it's because it's rare to see a publisher that consistently bad. I mean, seriously, there is not a wide spread of scores on their games... They're all nuggets of poop. It's really impressive, in a way.

I'd rather buy Scratches, Syberia 1 & 2, and Still Life 1 & 2 for ~$12.50 than buy the entire pack and add the other 25 or whatever games for another ~$12.50.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, you just reminded me of Jack Keene (a fairly decent pirate point-and-click that's no longer offered on Steam), that had one of these infamous unintuitive mash-every-inventory-object-together-until-it-works types of contraptions that you had to figure out how to make.

Edit: oops I lied, Jack Keane is still on Steam, I just can't spell

I picture people new to TLJ tearing their hair out over the inflatable duck series of puzzles. Not as bad as the cat mustache but it's up there in the hall of fame.

::edit::
Wow, managed to double post. Thread isn't moving as fast as it used to.

Juan Carlo

Neo Member
Fallout: NV is every bit as good as Fallout 2--at least in terms of plot, writing, humor and world development (all things which Fallout 3 got terribly terribly wrong. Fallout 3 was not a Fallout game. Rather it was an Elder Scrolls game all gussied up in Fallout drag. Bethesda is great at level design, art direction, and creating pretty landscapes, but they are utterly terrible at writing). Combat wise, Fallout:NV isn't as great as it still uses the Gamebryo engine which isn't a great engine for an FPS, but combat is serviceable enough and it's not bad enough to ruin what is an otherwise great game.

geeko

Pulled the trigger on The Witcher 2 today and I really want to play it, but its 16 GBs and that would take me about 16 hours to download.

So I decided to trek my way to school. Free wifi, 5mb per seconds DL. Will be done in about 40 minutes. Now I hope something cool comes up at the next flash sale so i can quickly download it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Is there a thread or a really nice comprehensive list somewhere of some deeply discounted hidden gems on Steam?

Having played Krater a bit more I have to say I'm heading toward a good recommendation for this. The updates have really transformed the game and I'm having a blast. Considering I've only played about an hour I can't put down a serious judgment, but I will definitely be playing more today. Loving the implants/boosters system, the overworld map with all the cities and Fallout style random encounters, crafting, character recruitment and upgrading etc. And from what I hear I haven't seen shit yet. I'd like to play enough today to get a recommendation up on Steam, we'll see. I don't wanna be too hasty.

Thanks Xelios, I look forward to hearing what you think as you keep playing. I'm debating between picking this up, or just saving the money towards the impending Torchlight II release.

I don't see why anyone want their digital library to be scattered across multiple services.. one would tend to go to the most secure/successful one so they don't lose their games once the service goes bankrupt.

Speak for yourself.

Uh, I am. I did not speak for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom