• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImRight

Hi ppl, First time gaffer & First time steam sales, found the forums googling for someone in US to gift me L4d and a few other things when they were up for grabs, Some great views in here has Lead me to a few Great purchases......... Edit:(Well this and the Original thread..)

And a very abused bank account, although as soon as i saw the prices on the first day i knew that was gonna be the case.... mind you i still thought id get out of it for like $70-$80......apparently Gaben did not approve of this and started to offer -75% on every game i even remotely wanted....

The "Damage" so far ...(AUS Prices) made a view mistakes. i.e Jumping at revalation when i saw it for $20 bucks and not waiting for a pack or checking US prices but meh...

damageu.jpg

Dont really care to add it up yet..... i get paid Tomorow...bad timing ahaha!! and theres still a few days to go?? When will it end!!! >.<

Let me just say to all the people who recomended Walking Dead....WOW Massive respect SOOO GLAD i got it!!! havent really had the chance to try out many of the other Indie games... plants Vs zombies got like 6 hours of play before i dragged myself away ahahah!!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Really damn happy I got Dead Rising 2 OtR for 10$. It definitely was the game I was most waiting on.

Picking up Ys Oath on the last day. So it would just Arma II Complete(Honestly, I can wait on this. So keep your 33% off sale), and Hamilton's Great Adventure.

MRORANGE

Avoid getting Crysis 1 or Warhead, both have 5 activation limits. (Crysis is unredeemable as it does not work with the EA Securom revoke tool)

Crytek refused to get rid of Securom as they were too busy making Crysis 2:

Cry-Tom said:
Hi guys,

Although I don't have much to say on the topic, I thought i'd just post to acknowledge we (Crytek) have seen this thread.

There is no plan to remove SecuROM from Crysis at this time as we're entirely focused on Crysis 2. As for SecuROM and Crysis 2... we haven't said anything about our DRM plans, which includes having said nothing about using SecuROM.

Tom

Earlier this year, Crytek increased the retail install limit from 5 to 50, but the steam version still is listed at 5, no word has been given about the steam version.

2RDOX.jpg

MRORANGE

Isn't it only for the multiplayer? I've never had any issues with either.

not sure about the MP but both sp games have 5 install limit securom.

You can email Origin support and they will give you Crysis if you have the Steam CD Key.

But I don't want to use another service when I have already paid to use the features of service I originally wanted.

EA / Crytek should support people who bought their games from other services no matter what, flocking users to another service because of crappy drm which they put in the first place is just stupid and unacceptable.

What do you guys think the chances are for Yesterday to be a daily or flash deal by itself now that the Pendulo pack is a flash deal? Really want to pick that up.

XOMTOR

Avoid getting Crysis 1 or Warhead, both have 5 activation limits.

Steam store page lists 5 activations but some on the forums are claiming that the limit was raised to 50 but then some are claiming that the 50 limit applies to only the retail versions. Stupid confusing DRM.

Hi ppl, First time gaffer & First time steam sales, found the forums googling for someone in US to gift me L4d and a few other things when they were up for grabs, Some great views in here has Lead me to a few Great purchases......... Edit:(Well this and the Original thread..)

And a very abused bank account, although as soon as i saw the prices on the first day i knew that was gonna be the case.... mind you i still thought id get out of it for like $70-$80......apparently Gaben did not approve of this and started to offer -75% on every game i even remotely wanted....

The "Damage" so far ...(AUS Prices) made a view mistakes. i.e Jumping at revalation when i saw it for $20 bucks and not waiting for a pack or checking US prices but meh...

damageu.jpg

Dont really care to add it up yet..... i get paid Tomorow...bad timing ahaha!! and theres still a few days to go?? When will it end!!! >.<

Let me just say to all the people who recomended Walking Dead....WOW Massive respect SOOO GLAD i got it!!! havent really had the chance to try out many of the other Indie games... plants Vs zombies got like 6 hours of play before i dragged myself away ahahah!!

Hiya dude, welcome.

Now take a pencil and try to write down the order in which you will finish those games.

...yup, you won't finish them all.

So try to order them: I'll play this first, then this, then that...

...haha, still can't orded them all?

So you bought something you won't even launch ONCE?

WELCOME TO STEAM SALES!!!!!!!!

Sarquiss_

No that is a good thing. Whilst ever there are people stupid enough to pay it, they probably wont bother to lock it down properly like region restrictions on steam works games.

That is a good point. It is annoying that we need to jump through so many hoops just to buy games though :(

Thankfully we have so many awesome gaffers willing to help out.

Whats everyone's thoughts on the Assassins Creed series? I never really heard anything about it from my friends.

This is the truth about the series (WARNING: Unpopular opinion from old gamer).

• AC is one of the worst games of all time. If anybody tries to tell you otherwise, politely tell them to go away.
  • AC2 is pretty much the same as AC, but somehow manages to be an extremely good game. This was some sort of water to wine voodoo magic but it worked. It has all the good and bad parts of modern gaming, including that it goes on forever and there is actually very little to do outside the story, but it does pull you along and you will really enjoy your time with it.
  • AC B and R after are the exact same game as AC2 with a different hat each time. As such they are good games, but it is pointless to play them if you have gone through one already. The gameplay just isn't particularly fun or engaging.
So if you want to get into the series, just pick one game you want and play it. Might as well play AC Revelations which is the newer entry. You will not be up to date with the story, but the story is also complete rubbish, so don't be too concerned.

StuBurns

Banned
The problem with the Assassin's Creed games is their mechanical core is rotten. They're vapid. AC2 actually managed to be a good game despite that, but it's still pretty dressing to an awful meal.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good morning SteamGAF :3! Slept for 10 frikkin' hours... what did I miss?

1. A new thread

2. Any good deals?

1-D_FTW

Good. Guess I can stop voting every time since I don't have the badge either. Must have voted 100 times during that one fubared vote. It went through a couple of times (only to erase again). Thought it stuck, but guess not.

*weight lifted*

Feels good.

Firebrand

I've never had anything pop up telling me I'm using up installs, and I wouldn't be surprised if I've installed Warhead more than five times already.
You probably don't use up an activation as long as you don't delete your SecuROM user data.

Steam really should enforce clearer information on DRM and activations.

Moppet13

• AC is one of the worst games of all time. If anybody tries to tell you otherwise, politely tell them to go away.
  • AC2 is pretty much the same as AC, but somehow manages to be an extremely good game. It has all the good and bad parts of modern gaming, including that it goes on forever and there is actually very little to do outside the story, but it does pull you along and you will really enjoy your time with it.
  • AC B and R after are the exact same game as AC2 with a different hat each time. As such they are good games, but it is pointless to play them if you have gone through one already.
So if you want to get into the series, just pick one game you want and play it. Might as well play AC Revelations which is the newer entry. You will not be up to date with the story, but the story is also complete rubbish, so don't be too concerned.

The problem with the Assassin's Creed games is their mechanical core is rotten. They're vapid. AC2 actually managed to be a good game despite that, but it's still pretty dressing to an awful meal.

Well, if I were to buy it I think it would be for the story line so I should just skip it?

Well, if I were to buy it I think it would be for the story line so I should just skip it?

The games have recaps, and it takes like 2 minutes to catch up with everything that goes on. Basically it is story for 30 seconds, run around Italy for 30 hours killing people, story for 30 seconds to finish the game. So no, I wouldn't play for the story, but no doubt they will be on sale again, so might as well give one a bash.

LobLob

Banned
Count me as another person who has voted 15 times and i dont have the goddamn 15 votes lighting up, im pissed. And before people suggest the voting was screwed up and my vote never went through, i made sure every single vote was legit long before each community choice ended. FUCK.

Angry Fork

Whats everyone's thoughts on the Assassins Creed series? I never really heard anything about it from my friends.

AC1 is weak in retrospect but AC2 and Brotherhood are amazing and lots of fun. Honestly for me the gameplay is really good but I get more out of the historical aspects of the game. They do SO much research on real life characters, places, events etc.

They put these little dialog windows whenever you're at an interesting area (which is pretty much everywhere in Italy), and they tell you real life historical information about the area. I love that shit. The architecture of the buildings, just how good everything looks and how real it feels. If you're interested in the Renaissance era at all they're worth playing just for that alone.

I played some of Revelations and liked the atmosphere but it feels a bit rushed and different in a bad way. It felt like they added things for the sake of it, I hated bomb making and the mini-game things they forced you to play. It doesn't feel as solid as AC2 and Brotherhood but still worth playing if you like the series.

Count me as another person who has voted 15 times and i dont have the goddamn 15 votes lighting up, im pissed. And before people suggest the voting was screwed up and my vote never went through, i made sure every single vote was legit long before each community choice ended. FUCK.

I think people are blowing this voting thing out of proportion. The steam sale has been going for 4 days and we have had 15 votes so far. There are another 5 days left which means there will probably be another 15 community polls to go. So even if you missed 1 or 2 polls you will still be able to get ALL of the "achievements" in the summer sale badge.

Gbraga

The games have recaps, and it takes like 2 minutes to catch up with everything that goes on. Basically it is story for 30 seconds, run around Italy for 30 hours killing people, story for 30 seconds to finish the game. So no, I wouldn't play for the story, but no doubt they will be on sale again, so might as well give one a bash.

I think 2 is pretty good to be played for the story. Brotherhood would be a disappointment if played for it though, the game has tons of gameplay improvements over 2, but the story literally only develops in the first and last 5 minutes of the game.

• AC2 is pretty much the same as AC, but somehow manages to be an extremely good game. This was some sort of water to wine voodoo magic but it worked. It has all the good and bad parts of modern gaming, including that it goes on forever and there is actually very little to do outside the story, but it does pull you along and you will really enjoy your time with it.
  • AC B and R after are the exact same game as AC2 with a different hat each time. As such they are good games, but it is pointless to play them if you have gone through one already. The gameplay just isn't particularly fun or engaging.
hey

dont listen to this guy

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Adding me finally works! So get to it people!

ADD ME ON STEAM RIGHT NOW,

----> Yoshichan <----

Go go go

I think people are blowing this voting thing out of proportion. The steam sale has been going for 4 days and we have had 15 votes so far. There are another 5 days left which means there will probably be another 15 community polls to go. So even if you missed 1 or 2 polls you will still be able to get ALL of the "achievements" in the summer sale badge.

Maybe..if we are at like 13 or 14 votes.

But we all thought we were at 15, so who the fuck knows what valve are doing? If I don't get my badge I'll...well I'll get over it pretty quickly. But for now I'd at least like to know what the go is.

LobLob

Banned

Well, what happens if the vote or votes i had that didnt count we're from the first day when everything was fucked up on steam from the heavy traffice? I am out a badge then, not ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom