• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gala

Okay that does it.

Deus Ex, Vampire, Borderlands, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim... all of these games will be bought today, and I don't give a fuck if my PC can run Skyrim or Deus Ex because this sale and all the games I've accumulated is going to force me to upgrade really soon. I guess it's better to splurge and get all of these games cheaply now instead of waiting to upgrade.

It was nice knowing you!

Okay that does it.

Deus Ex, Vampire, Borderlands, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim... all of these games will be bought today, and I don't give a fuck if my PC can run Skyrim or Deus Ex because this sale and all the games I've accumulated is going to force me to upgrade really soon. I guess it's better to splurge and get all of these games cheaply now instead of waiting to upgrade.
I really want to upgrade soon. Laptop isnt cutting it anymore.

really great choices. for all of them :D

I've played most of them, but the only one I have beaten is Deus Ex on 360. I've mainly been a console gamer, but my recent story is that my PC monitor crapped out on me, forcing me to, for the time being, use my living room HDTV. But the thing is, now, I'm never going back. I now have my PC chilling on the shelf with my 360 and Wii, and... I fucking love it. I'm comfy-couching this shit with the keyboard in my lap and the mouse on the coffee table, it's strangely comfortable and my girlfriend doesn't even care.

So it has seriously opened my eyes to gaming more on PC, and games like the ones I listed above just feel more "at home" on PC with their PC origins and such. So yeah, time to upgrade.

That's like, a potential 500 hrs of gaming.

Yes it is and I'm so cool with that. I've just been getting so bored of mainstream shooters and all that crap, although they're fun and all. I've missed meaty gaming experiences. I saw this ridiculous commercial for Black Ops 2 before TDKR last night, and it was so forced into trying to look like a Michael Bay movie, complete with "From DAVID GOYER co-writer of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES" because yeah son this script is going to be some Hollywood-level shit bro (he's a god awful writer, I don't know how he managed to pen Batman Begins)

Steam: Brandon needs a better class of gaming... and I'm gonna give it to him.

mannerbot

Hm, I thought I wanted Trine 2 but I wasn't that into the first game. Anyone that missed out on Trine 2 want to trade me Morrowind GOTY ($5) for it?

Totakeke

The Civ5 Gods and Kings expansion doesn't include the original DLC civs right?

But maybe I should wait until the expansion goes on sale anyway.

pahamrick

Never played VTM:Bloodlines so I grabbed that and the Ultimate Edition of New Vegas since I only played that on 360.

Between those two and Borderlands GOTY, should be busy for awhile. Good sale all around and spent less than $25 total.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Find it funny how Borderlands is $7.99 and Borderlands GOTY is...... $7.99.

I really only wanted to try the vanilla version to see if it would appeal to me as BL2 looks sweet in the trailers.

j-wood

I was about to buy bulletstorm. So i downloaded the demo. Booted it up and GFWL asked me for a CD-Key then errored out.

Nope.

ImRight

Since everyone here is a hardcore gamer...I'm thinking about getting these headphones. Anyone own these or recommend something similiar?

Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset

E: Forgot to mention there doesent seem to be a review on those Phones on Head fi, Which unless there a fairly new product isnt to Promising for them, But deffinatley not confirmation either way

E2: Guru3d seem to like them, not sure exactly how much weight there Audio review's hold, but it can only be a good thing

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ check out here, no reviews on those particular Phones...Are they a new product?

Personally i wouldnt touch anything that is wireless, thats not to say there arent great wirless set's out there thought, I have a set of Sennheiser Pc-350's running off of an Asus Xonar Xense wich practically gives me a eargasm everytime i use them, some might say the bass is a little lacking but doesent bother me cause i only use headphones in game, and usually only on Voip games/ Fps,

If you dont have a sound card and dont wanna spend much more money than those corsairs, there probably a safe bet, ... althought im probably a little biased at this point as i just set up a set of these practically 5 minutes ago

http://www.corsair.com/pc-computer-audio/pc-computer-speakers/gaming-audio-series-sp2500-high-power-2-1-pc-speaker-system.html/

And they are Fucking Amazing, (Running of a sound card)

If you do have a bit of dosh i and are fairly enthusiastic about decent sound i would check out some Sites like Head fi and other Audiophile sites, and grab a Good Sound card and pair of nice headphones, probably get away with .......~200....

alot of people dont like simulated 7.1 headphones which these are (2 speakers in them only), also a true 7.1 Set will always sound alot weaker than a stereo set as the drivers in the Phones ares quite small to fit them all, and are much more expensive to get sound of equal quality @ volume,

i looked into this quite extensivly when i was purchasing my setup and The consensus among audiohiles seems to be that if you want surround headphones it is Far superioir to Buy a good Soundcard which will simulate 5.1/7 ch mix over a Good stereo Set,

i can tell you from personal experiance that the positional audio in Bf3 and other fps games with a good surrround audio mix is great, hear bullets wizzing past, can pinpoint Were fire is coming from ect...(just make sure you select surround audio in game)

LOl i made this mistake and was wondering why the fuck it wasn't that good :-/
(sound card will still upmix stereo to Surround)

Tl, dr, Corsairs Probably Deffinatley wont dissapoint you, but if you shop around you will porobably get nicer sounding (emulated) surround of a Sound card/ Headset combo, [Edit3]"For slightly More"[/edit3] (check head fi out)

sorry for the wall of text but im kinda passionate about my audio very slowly becoming an audiophile myself ^^

Thanos2001

Neo Member
Steam has refused to let me buy anymore games. I checked with my credit card company and it is not a problem on their end. I got the message:

For the protection of the account holder, this purchase has been declined. Further purchasing will be temporarily limited - please contact Steam Support to resolve this issue.

suatmm.gif

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
How is Driver on the PC? Do I need a controller for it?

I've had no issues with the game, looks nice and clean, runs well unless you got a rig from 2002 *looks at PC in cuprboard*. I'm using a 360 controller and it's fine, although I can't imagine using anything else for this type of game.

ImRight

A bit weird that everyone is getting blocked form buying today,

Gaben said to me, "Well im about to put arma II up, hmm better stop them all buying these other too good to resist deals before they run out of money and resent buying them....."

Good guy eh? ^^

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oblivion bought, and thus my collection of "modern" TES games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) on Steam is complete.

Probably my last purchase during the sale, unless something really interesting comes up for €2.49 or less.

Risgroo

I've spent the last 10 days or so playing the hell out of Skyrim, so I'm wondering if Oblivion is worth playing? How is it compared to Skyrim?

gotee12

It's like Gaben the Steam Bartender looking out for the welfare of his customers, "Look buddy, I think you've had enough for one night...."

mandiller

Since everyone here is a hardcore gamer...I'm thinking about getting these headphones. Anyone own these or recommend something similiar?

Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset

I have the non-wireless Vengeance 1500 version of these and they are really awesome. Fantastic sound and super comfortable. The mic is also the best I've ever used on a headset. The clarity is great. I definitely recommend them. I use the headphones all the time now and play a lot of Battlefield 3 etc with the virtual 7.1 surround sound.

The only downside is they are USB only. So you won't ever be able to use them in your ipod, ds, tv etc. I don't know if the wireless model will work with consoles or not. If it does then awesome.

I've spent the last 10 days or so playing the hell out of Skyrim, so I'm wondering if Oblivion is worth playing? How is it compared to Skyrim?

I liked some aspects of Oblivion more, like the guilds, and I think with some good modding, it could still hold up quite well. I'd say it's definitely worth the 5 bucks.

squid

Well, this is the first Steam sale I've really payed attention to, and before it started I was like: 'eh, sales are nice, but there's nothing I want to buy right now, and I have too many games to play anyway.'

Yeah... Ended up buying:

- Defence Grid: The Awakening + DLC ($5AU)
- Poker Night at the Inventory ($3)
- Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion ($30)
- Total War Mega Pack ($15)

And I will get Sid Meier's Pirates before the end... I was incredibly close to buying Hot Pursuit and/or Burnout Paradise, but then I remembered that I didn't really like what I'd played of them.

By the way, is tomorrow the last day of the sale? (tomorrow being today in America I suppose?)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God damn, the writing and music in Bastion... teh fuck?!

Well, this is the first Steam sale I've really payed attention to, and before it started I was like: 'eh, sales are nice, but there's nothing I want to buy right now, and I have too many games to play anyway.'

Yeah... Ended up buying:

- Defence Grid: The Awakening + DLC ($5AU)
- Poker Night at the Inventory ($3)
- Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion ($30)
- Total War Mega Pack ($15)

And I will get Sid Meier's Pirates before the end... I was incredibly close to buying Hot Pursuit and/or Burnout Paradise, but then I remembered that I didn't really like what I'd played of them.

By the way, is tomorrow the last day of the sale? (tomorrow being today in America I suppose?)
My only regret. Should've spent the 5 bucks on Driver.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Definitely worse. Less interesting environments, worse combat, the Oblivion gates suck, etc. But if you really enjoy that type of game I'd say it's worth a fiver for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom