• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

I'm running on Ivy Bridge i5-3450, so I should be good. I haven't played Episodes of Liberty City either

Anyone want from UK want to help me out? Seems like GTA pack is cheaper there

Assuming you're not running integrated graphics and have even a mid range card, it'll look much better than the consoles then.

gabbo

One game was initially greyed out on the front page saying "not available in your region", but I don't see it anymore.

Ah. 'Always reload the page until it appears' has been my motto, and it's worked on the odd occasion that's happened during this sale.

Ferrio

Banned
Finishing Psychonauts on the PC right now as we speak. It's compatible with my 360 controller and looks great for being an older game. The cutscenes don't hold up as well though. Other than that, it's an instabuy and everyone in this thread should play it.

Same thing here. Bought it and beat it within 3 days... can't say I've done that for an action adventure game in a long long time. Very fun game, instantly bought stacking and costume quest (which I had played 30 minutes of before) today because of it.

It's a must by for anyone.

Also I'm sooooooo glad Train Simulator went on sale. I was looking forward to it so much, best joke gift game ever.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
That's why I have all the games I want bookmared just iin case. Otherwise I would have no idea.

Does any have psychonauts? is the pc port fine?

Psychonauts is definitely worth the price of admission. In fact the same could be said of Costume Quest. Stacking is fun and cute, but might not be for everyone.

As for the PC version of Psychonauts, they just updated it recently to support 360 gamepad on PC, as well as achievements. I think they might have added higher resolutions, but not fully sure. But either way, it runs just fine and you shouldn't miss it.

Gandie

They should really consider making Train Simulator free to play, the base game is only acting as a gateway drug to buy their DLC anyway. Maybe a free version would encourage more people to try the game instead of just laughing about it.

Binary Domain
http://store.steampowered.com/app/203750/

GREAT PRICE, needs to be bought

Binary Domain's greatest strength is not in innovating or pushing boundaries but much like Darksiders it knows how to take many elements from other games (and other sources) and mix them together in away that actually improves those element's;

Main character design from Gears of War, but with toned down enough so as to not be too distracting.

The presentation of story from Kojima's games, but with a much more precise and ergonomic use of dialogue and exposition.

Even taking elements from something like Mass Effect with light RPG trapping like being able to choose who is in your squad as well as talk to them (Improving or damaging their trust in you depending on your answers), but by not having such a large focus on the mechanic they get to get use it sparingly and only when it would have a strong effect for the player.

GAMEPLAY
The features a lot to mechanics, Squad commands, self revival, equipable buffs, weapon leaving up/ upgrades, but the one part that needs to be praised above all others is that shooting the many varied enemy robots is always fun.
Each enemy's body is covered in many different pieces of amour that can be broken independently of one another, rather then being a purely visual clue as to how low their help bar is, this allows for dismemberment. Losing heads, legs, arms, each effects the battles in a myriad of ways and it is always worth varying up what you focus your attacks on.

Last thing to say on gameplay is that BD is a rare game where some slowdown in the more intense moments helps to elevate those moments (Much like in Treasure's old games)

STORY
When it comes to the story one should think of it as a 80's sci-fi horror anime, big cheesy, goofy but often turning po-faced to talk bluntly about the ramifications of the events of the story, in this case being the line between human and AI and how far you would have to go before the differences became nothing but a technicality, ultimately BD brings these ideas up more to fit in with what its cribbing from rather then to have the player think seriously about these issues.

With a focus of tactile feedback from the gun play and a light hearted tone BD is an amazingly easy play through that does right what so many games fail at.

I am really hoping for this franchise to continue.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Can anyone link that crazy dubstep Railworks video? There are like 50 of them on youtube but I can't find the famous one that's been posted here a few times.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Is liberty cities stories worth it at $5 if I already own GTA IV ???

I assume you mean Episodes from Liberty City and not Liberty City Stories as that is the PSP/PS2 only game.

And that depends if you want more GTA4 or not, The Ballad of Gay Tony is pretty great and in many ways has stuff that should have been in GTA4 from the start.

$42.90 spent so far. I think the sale has been pretty good to me, provided I get to most of these games. It's almost overload looking at them:

V5L8k.png

+ Denmark and Korea civs for Civ 5.

so conflicted on gta complete pack. I own all of it on the consoles besides episodes from liberty city. Trying to make an effort not to double dip.

damn.

ShaneB

I'm safe from the dailies, nothing really there that I want that I don't already have, looks like I'll be closely watching the flash deals. I kinda want to get Binary Domain, but knowing I passed up the Amazon deal makes me realize, I could probably wait to get it.

Don't think Binary Domain is gonna get much cheaper for quite a while, so, sure.
Waiting for Sniper Elite and Spec Ops to drop a bit more.

If you're getting Sniper Elite, get this. Same price, you get the Kill Hitler DLC and the first game.

so conflicted on gta complete pack. I own all of it on the consoles besides episodes from liberty city. Trying to make an effort not to double dip.

damn.

It's really hard for me to go back to GTA IV after Saints Row 3. All the missions just seem so dull to me in trying to play it again.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is Company of Heroes more micro than macro or vice versa?

DOA

why oh why Spec Ops is only 33% off?

oh well, guess i'll wait for the next sale on this one... already spent 160$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom