• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

XeroSauce

I used to. Kinda got turned off from it because I *allegedly* have the rarest TF2 item in existence? (Vintage Companion Cube Pin), and I get multiple friend requests daily, and harassed on TF2 servers from people who want it. Even got my account hacked and had it stolen once.

Anyway, I'll play if I have a reason to, like friends invite me. But I definitely don't go on public servers by myself, anymore.

That really blows, the players that are big on the TF2 economy are just downright atrocious with their harassment and bartering.

I remembered seeing your avatar briefly in a TF2 thread, hence my question. Have fun with your games. :)

I have a Genuine Companion Cube Pin, which is more rare than that. No one even cares...
Actually the Genuine versions are pretty common, they're preorder bonuses for Portal 2. The Vintage one was given to a couple helpers at the PAX station for that year IIRC, only a couple exist.

zoku88

This is a room in my basement currently:

D3xNX.jpg

Edit: Holy shit that's huge. How do I resize? D:

Edit 2: Better.

I always wanted to have model trains when I was a kid :(

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Much better, thanks. =)

damn.

how long been collecting?
My whole life. My dad's huge into trains (we have a giant caboose clubhouse in the backyard he built when we were younger, lol.) This setup is just a fraction of what we have. I think his dad was big into model trains, too. Guess it just runs in the family.

I just like the thought that maybe its Christmas 365 days a year in your basement.

Actually, we usually take everything down each year, and put up table tennis and air hockey in there from March - October. This way we have a fresh, brand new layout each year. (I got sick this year, though, so we haven't had any time to tear it down.)

I always wanted to have model trains when I was a kid :(
Live in the US? Come for a visit sometime. =)

I have a Genuine Companion Cube Pin, which is more rare than that. No one even cares...

People usually go crazy for the Max Head Hat and the Earbuds.

The Vintage Cube Pin is rarer than the genuine ones (There's like 4 owners). They handed out codes for them back at PAX 2010 for playtesting Portal 2

Edit: Beaten

Watevaman

Does anyone have an idea of if DCS: Black Shark would go lower in price? It's 75% off @ $5 right now so I doubt it. I'd love to wait until the last day to see if it came up as a flash sale, but I'd rather spend this weekend coming up fooling around with it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Actually the Genuine versions are pretty common, they're preorder bonuses for Portal 2. The Vintage one was given to a couple helpers at the PAX station for that year IIRC, only a couple exist.

Yeah. I think I know of one other guy who said he had it. (If he does, though, he was smart enough to not tell anyone. I think I'm the only one who publicly owns it. =/)

XeroSauce

Not counting Unusuals, I think this is the rarest item in the game: http://tf2wiki.net/wiki/Hat_of_Undeniable_Wealth_And_Respect

I could be wrong. But it's sold for a few hundred dollars or more.

It's not the rarest, IIRC there are a few hundred of them, but the sheer value of them make them worth a few hundred REAL MONEY US dollars because of how they were obtained.

Here's what wearing the hat gets you:
Fame
Money
Ladies
Obnoxious Steam users befriending you to trade you your hat for a key or something

Bought Dear Esther and Stacking, I'm not going to buy any other game during this sale.

Maybe I'll get Bastion if it goes on sale again, but that's it.

frozzted

Does anyone have an idea of if DCS: Black Shark would go lower in price? It's 75% off @ $5 right now so I doubt it. I'd love to wait until the last day to see if it came up as a flash sale, but I'd rather spend this weekend coming up fooling around with it.

I doubt it... 80 and 90% off is only $1-2 cheaper anyway.

Dacvak

Oh shit, from that Wiki article about the pin: "A second Vintage Companion Cube Pin was awarded to another player for unknown reasons."

I think that's just the guy who hacked my account, stole my pin, and then showed it off to people.

The Vintage Cube Pin is rarer than the genuine ones (There's like 4 owners). They handed out codes for them back at PAX 2010 for playtesting Portal 2

Edit: Beaten
Actually, they weren't handed out. It's a long story, but most people didn't get anything for playtesting Portal 2. Most, as in, probably 95% of the people, or more. I only got it because I was a member of the press, stuck around to chat with them for a while, interviewed some of them later, and previous had met some of them. That's my theory, at least. It also wasn't the only thing I received for doing that - got a whole Portal 2 care package. I even have my letter from GlaDOS framed. =)

Def Jukie

Anyone want to do a trade for Dead Island? I have a code for the game and all the DLC. Looking for the GTA IV Bundle and Shatter for it. Comes out to being less than $10 US for both.

Also giving away a copy of Portal if anyone wants it.

Send a PM if you are interested in either.

Double

Hey guys, so i can buy the Double Fine bundle as a gift for my inventory and then just use Stacking and Costume Quest for myself out of it while i keep Psychonauts in there for now, right? (already got it on Xbox)

It's not the rarest, IIRC there are a few hundred of them, but the sheer value of them make them worth a few hundred REAL MONEY US dollars because of how they were obtained.

Fame
Money
Ladies
Obnoxious Steam users befriending you to trade you your hat for a key or something

Ah, I see. I had no idea that many people had it.

Do many ppl still Play Tf2? i got it with the orange box last year but have never installed it, but im starting to hear a few ppl talk it up.....Worth a look?

Yeah, a lot of people play TF2. Definitely worth a look and there's a lot of GAF members that play together.

HoosTrax

Do many ppl still Play Tf2? i got it with the orange box last year but have never installed it, but im starting to hear a few ppl talk it up.....Worth a look?
Er...it's one of the top 1-3 games on Steam in terms of concurrent players (dependent on the time of day -- it's more popular in the US I think).

marrec

Banned

Fame
Money
Ladies

It's really the worst part of TF2. I immediately trade away any good items I get because I HATE the idiots who friend you just to trade. Screw you guys if you do that.

Katoki

ßthePenguin;39976116 said:
Hey guys, so i can buy the Double Fine bundle as a gift for my inventory and then just use Stacking and Costume Quest for myself out of it while i keep Psychonauts in there for now, right? (already got it on Xbox)

Nope. If we could do such a thing, a few members here would be happy because I'd unload unwanted games in bundles for basically free.

Def Jukie

ßthePenguin;39976116 said:

No you have to redeem them all.

AHA-Lambda

Still keeping my purchases relatively lean and sensible, I've learned from past sales not to go too overboard for the sake of my backlog and wallet.

Just got so far:
The Walking Dead
Dear Esther + OST
Frozen Synapse DLC
Binding of Isaac DLC

You spelled Dustforce wrong.

I forgot all about that game, may give it a look

*searches* What, no discount? o_O

Koroviev

Another question about the older GTA games: Is there any point in buying one other than San Andreas?

And I asked this before, but here it is again: Are there any recommended aesthetic mods for San Andreas?

Dacvak

Another question about the older GTA games: Is there any point in buying one other than San Andreas?

And I asked this before, but here it is again: Are there any recommended aesthetic mods for San Andreas?

Vice City is awesome, if you don't have that. Really, the whole collection is an incredible deal, even if you already have a few of them. Vice City and San Andreas have totally different looks and feels.

The only way PC GAF can counter the votes of the unwashed masses is if we get one vote per game in our library.

The said thing is its true :(

Costume quest looks pretty harmless in terms of system specs where even my base model Macbook Air would be fine running it. But the real thing is that I don't know how Batman won again with these average Steam users. Wait.. average Steam users, I answered my own question.

Guess I should have been more clear. I meant more 'how well did they port it' and not 'can my pc play it'... I've got the latter under control.

Oh shit, from that Wiki article about the pin: "A second Vintage Companion Cube Pin was awarded to another player for unknown reasons."

I think that's just the guy who hacked my account, stole my pin, and then showed it off to people.

Actually, they weren't handed out. It's a long story, but most people didn't get anything for playtesting Portal 2. Most, as in, probably 95% of the people, or more. I only got it because I was a member of the press, stuck around to chat with them for a while, interviewed some of them later, and previous had met some of them. That's my theory, at least. It also wasn't the only thing I received for doing that - got a whole Portal 2 care package. I even have my letter from GlaDOS framed. =)

You're not the only one, I was a playtester at PAX 2010 :). But I traded mine, it's currently funding my next ohhh, 16 or so years of Steam purchases.

Dacvak

I also got many friend invites because people want my max hat. I just put my profile on hidden to public, seems to have solved it.

Wait, you went from private to public? I would think that'd give your account more exposure. D:

You're not the only one :). But I traded mine, it's currently funding my next ohhh, 16 or so years of Steam purchases.
Hahahaha, sooooo awesome! Yeah, I've definitely got a lot of monetary offers for it. Hehe.

Koroviev

Vice City is awesome, if you don't have that. Really, the whole collection is an incredible deal, even if you already have a few of them. Vice City and San Andreas have totally different looks and feels.

I'd be getting them for my sister. She really wants a GTA-style game, but GTA4 is plagued by GFWL and poor optimization. There's also SR3, but I don't know if it'd play well on her PC, which only has a dual-core processor. Her monitor has a sub-HD resolution, so maybe that would help.

XeroSauce

I'd be getting them for my sister. She really wants a GTA-style game, but GTA4 is plagued by GFWL and poor optimization. There's also SR3, but I don't know if it'd play well on her PC, which only has a dual-core processor. Her monitor has a sub-HD resolution, so maybe that would help.

If she only wants one, San An does the job well enough.

Having the whole pack is not a bad deal either way.

I played Costume Quest in one sitting which is surprising, not because it is particularly short but because that is something I never do with games. It's a nice way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Dacvak

I know this is going to sound a bit sexist, but I'd think that a girl would enjoy Vice City more, anyway. San Andreas feels more gritty and gang-related. It's certainly a more mature game, but only in a "curse words" sort of way.

Vice City has so much style. Nicer vehicles, a bomb soundtrack, and a more enjoyable main character and plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom