• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 2: No One I Know Voted for Nixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
LastRemnant1.jpg

Guys, The Last Remnant is $8.99 over at Green Man Gaming. Buy this if you have any interest in RPGs at all. It's probably the best RPG Square Enix has done in a long time. Play it for the great battle system (turn-based) and fuckawesome music. The story is not why you should be playing this, but it does have its moments. Also, no random battles for those whose panties get in a twist over that.

The PC version is so godly compared to the bad 360 version. Lots of tweaks, improvements, and so on. The best one being a Turbo feature that doubles the speed of battles.

And, yes, it will activate on Steam!

Welp...There goes another £6...

DAMN YOU!

kharma45

Saw this on Reddit, sorry if it's been posted already.

Pro Tip: When you buy a Steam game that you might not play right away, store it in your inventory. That way, you can add it to your inventory later, or even trade/give it away if you want. Either way, you won't miss the sale and will have fewer regrets.

http://i.imgur.com/903ZI.png

Actually not a bad idea.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Woah, this thread is awesome. Some really cool stories in here. Keep it up guys.

Let me tell you about the time I conned my way into the first private Wii U line and ended up on the LA News...

Good times, good times.

BeesEight

I bought Last Remnant on the last sale.

Honestly, I couldn't get into it. The combat to me seemed pretty impenetrable and I have no idea how the leveling/customization system works. Also, the main character is pretty annoying in true JRPG fashion.

But there was a lot of praise for the combat and I just found it really confusing.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Saw this on Reddit, sorry if it's been posted already.

Actually not a bad idea.

I used to do this (only I did it the hard way, before there was an option). I have probably 20 games left in my gift storage. It's not a bad idea, but I stopped because I realize I get more joy from actually adding them to my collection. Heh.

Deadstar

LastRemnant21.jpg

Guys, The Last Remnant is $8.99 over at Green Man Gaming. Buy this if you have any interest in RPGs at all. It's probably the best RPG Square Enix has done in a long time. Play it for the great battle system (turn-based) and fuckawesome music. The story is not why you should be playing this, but it does have its moments. Also, no random battles for those whose panties get in a twist over that.

The PC version is so godly compared to the bad 360 version. Lots of tweaks, improvements, and so on. The best one being a Turbo feature that doubles the speed of battles.

Thanks man! Just got it!

Dacvak

Knowing the way I am I'd be all "I'm feelin' like playing this game now" and once I unpack and install it I'll never touch it.

I'm a little insane, so it's probably just me, but once it's in my gift storage, I never want to touch it again, "just in case someone else needs it later", or for some reason "it needs to stay as a gift". I can't explain why, but it's the same reason why I have trouble using health potions in video games, and other one-time-use items.

I don't want to "spend" the game after it's available as a "currency" to me. I discovered keeping my games as gifts was turning me insane, and I was worrying more about that than just playing the games. I'm definitely happier now that I started putting them back in my collection.

marrec

Banned
I'm a little insane, so it's probably just me, but once it's in my gift storage, I never want to touch it again, "just in case someone else needs it later", or for some reason "it needs to stay as a gift". I can't explain why, but it's the same reason why I have trouble using health potions in video games, and other one-time-use items.

I don't want to "spend" the game after it's available as a "currency" to me. I discovered keeping my games as gifts was turning me insane, and I was worrying more about that than just playing the games. I'm definitely happier now that I started putting them back in my collection.

Yep!

If a games in my Gifts then I think of it as money and I don't want to redeem it for myself. Might as well just buy it when I'm all impulsey, that way I'll actually be able to play it later.

Dacvak

Yep!

If a games in my Gifts then I think of it as money and I don't want to redeem it for myself. Might as well just buy it when I'm all impulsey, that way I'll actually be able to play it later.

Thank god I'm not the only insane one. =P

Shahadan

I think the most epic battles I played in a rpg were in The Last Remnant. It is pretty hard at times, and having just one union remaining and moving around to escape death was pretty satisfying.

Thanks for the heads up man. Wanted to play this for a while

Welp...There goes another £6...

DAMN YOU!

Thanks man! Just got it!
Glad I could help. Everyone really should play this.

I think the most epic battles I played in a rpg were in The Last Remnant. It is pretty hard at times, and having just one union remaining and moving around to escape death was pretty satisfying.
This man knows what's up.

Link Man

Banned
Since the game is on special today, I'll post my review here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39977123&postcount=202

Limbo - Completed (2.5 hours)

Got this in the Humble Indie Bundle, but it's also on sale now for $2.50. Certainly not a game you'll be replaying endlessly (maybe once a year, at most), but it is an interesting and entertaining experience. The game features dark visuals, clever puzzles and many, many chances for death (avoid if you detest trial-and-error gameplay). This is a game best experienced in one sitting, with headphones in the dark, and though the story is abstract, the narrative is compelling. Certainly worth a shot if you like puzzle-platformers and artistic games.

Score: Not really useful, but let's just say 7/10.

Koroviev

Anyone else have some recent Steam purchases disappear from their account activity? I noticed that my checking account balance has suddenly increased, but then realized that some Valve transactions had gone missing :\

marrec

Banned
Anyone else have some recent Steam purchases disappear from their account activity? I noticed that my checking account balance has suddenly increased, but then realized that some Valve transactions had gone missing :\

Valve is telling you to go home and be a family man.

1-D_FTW

Yeah. People in this thread have to realize that we're all insane. Normal people don't spend this kind of money on games. ;D

I beg to differ on that one. The typical dude spends way more a year buying his 60 dollar console games than I do. If you just buy games at their pricing floor (which doesn't take long), you can build a massive backlog spending 100 - 200 dollars a year easy.

I'm not in the extreme like some closing in on a thousand games (and who still purchase things Day 1 that they don't play), but being selective with my purchases, I'll probably cross the 200 mark barrier before this sale ends. So far I've gotten 17 games/expansions for 51 dollars (3 bucks a pop). And my backlog is well over 100 and would last for years with no additional purchases.

See it sucks for me because I'm on the poverty budget right now and the $12 that I have in my Steam wallet is all I have left. I really wish TLR would show up in a Flash sale or Community vote for 75% so I could get it.

Eternia

Oh the minutes that go by chaining revives/heals with multiple unions while a single one whittles the enemy away. The game is evil sometimes.

1-D_FTW

See it sucks for me because I'm on the poverty budget right now and the $12 that I have in my Steam wallet is all I have left. I really wish TLR would show up in a Flash sale or Community vote for 75% so I could get it.

I think it's shown up in the last two major sales, so it wouldn't be a shock that it'll happen again.

Shahadan

Oh the minutes that go by chaining revives/heals with multiple unions while a single one whittles the enemy away. The game is evil sometimes.

God yes, the game knows how to make you desperate enough to use dirty tricks to fight for you life until the very end.
The music changing according to the situation added so much.

Koroviev

I beg to differ on that one. The typical dude spends way more a year buying his 60 dollar console games than I do. If you just buy games at their pricing floor (which doesn't take long), you can build a massive backlog spending 100 - 200 dollars a year easy.

I'm not in the extreme like some closing in on a thousand games (and who still purchase things Day 1 that they don't play), but being selective with my purchases, I'll probably cross the 200 mark barrier before this sale ends. So far I've gotten 17 games/expansions for 51 dollars (3 bucks a pop). And my backlog is well over 100 and would last for years with no additional purchases.

Yeah, that's what I told my friend who uses a 360. He said he wants to have a nice PC, so I told him to not buy any new console games for a while (he preorders a lot of stuff).

MasLegio

Banned
if you wanted to buy indie bundle 5 you better hurry up since it has switched places with indie bundle 4 and thus will no longer be on sale in a short whule

Dacvak

Go ahead sir, go ahead.

Haha, honestly, there isn't much more of a story than that. Last year at E3, the Wii U was revealed at the Nintendo Conference. After attending the conference, I rushed over to the show floor (where my employees were saving a spot for me up front when the doors opened). I immediately went to the Nintendo booth, but everyone was being turned away on the first day of E3 from playing the Wii U, unless you were a super elite member of the press. I'm talking local and international news stations. Not even places like Joystiq/Kotaku were allowed in line.

Anyway, I got in line anyway (immediately behind a local news reporter), and when I was approached by the "bouncer" near the middle of the line who checked your credentials, I just acted extremely important, like there was no where else in the world I was supposed to be at the moment, and I showed him my media badge. He looked at it for a moment, a bit confused, and then conceded with a "uh, yeah, please move ahead."

That's when I immediately called my audio guy and my video guy, telling them I was in line. We were able to get those two in, as well, to video the experience, which was great. (Fun fact: I got the first video of the Zelda tech demo out on the internet. Great video!)

We also got about 45 minutes to an hour to play all of the Wii U games (compared to the 10 minutes people got the following days of E3). While I was there, the news reporter approached me, chatted for a bit, and asked if I wanted to be on the news. I said sure.

Hammed up my appearance a bit, made it seem like I was having the time of my life (that's what they're looking for), etc. I didn't realize that they were filming me while I was playing the Wii U, too. I end up looking like a bit of a knob, but it was all in good fun. They still have the video available, I believe. (I'm a lot skinnier now - dropped about 50 pounds after getting cancer, lol.)

Anyway, that's how I got to play the Wii U before most people, and make my way on the news with that anchor who looks like a rapist.

Now if you want to hear about the time I met Miyamoto, and snapped a picture of him not paying attention to the Nintendo roundtable at all, that's a different story.

But seriously, I'm done derailing this thread. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom