• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2012 Thread 3: Sale is over, use this thread for "Look wat i bot"

bigace33

I hope Alan Wake doesn't win the vote because then I'll be tempted to buy American Nightmare.

lol that's exactly why I voted for it. Hoping to get that for $4.99. Especially since steam Gaf let me down and didn't vote for LA Noire so I could get that for $4.99. Alan Wake MUST win.

blazeuk

Thanks again ImRight;

ibiRHzJ3sXliM4.png

Glad that's over.

i3Geb3GCMyfiN.PNG

Guess all that's left to do now is give away this copy of Wanna Curdle I just found.

First one to tell me the game's actual name gets it.

Shockamoto

Neo Member
I went from having almost no PC games to buying the following over the last couple days:

Borderlands GOTYE
The Witcher
Amnesia: Dark Descent
Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box
UT3 Black
Dear Esther
Audiosurf
The Orange Box
Sid Meier's Pirates!
AVP Classic 2000
Machinarium
Torchlight
Just Cause 2

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking of getting Post Mortem. Picked up Still Life 1 & 2 on GOG recently, wish Post Mortem was available there as well. I'd been avoiding it on Steam for that reason but for $2.50 I think I may just go ahead and buy it and end up double dipping if it shows up on GOG.
Still Life is a good p&c adventure, with a few "honey on the cat hair makes a moustache"-type puzzles and an ending that may anger you.

Mentioned it before, mentioning it now, and will surely mention it a lot in the future - this site, the Universal Hint System, is fantastic for adventure games with those kind of puzzles. Gives you a nudge in the right direction without outright giving away the solution so you can know if you missed something obvious, couldn't figure out a legit puzzle, or ran into a cat mustache puzzle without spoiling yourself.

statham

Noticed you picked up Syberia, Still Life and Post Mortem. Have you ever played those before? Are they any good? I have been on the fence for those games.
Played still Life 1 and really enjoyed. so Post Mortem & SL 2 was a given when I saw the price. Syberia I'm gambling on.

LProtag

I finally pulled the gun on the Shogun 2 Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai, even though it was on sale for way more, oh well.

It's not showing up in my library though, but it's in my purchase history. Is this going to be a problem or will it update soon? I've tried logging out and then back in.

I finally pulled the gun on the Shogun 2 Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai, even though it was on sale for way more, oh well.

It's not showing up in my library though, but it's in my purchase history. Is this going to be a problem or will it update soon? I've tried logging out and then back in.
Did you try restarting Ste--

Oh.

Maybe it's an in-game option?

gabbo

Thinking of getting Post Mortem. Picked up Still Life 1 & 2 on GOG recently, wish Post Mortem was available there as well. I'd been avoiding it on Steam for that reason but for $2.50 I think I may just go ahead and buy it and end up double dipping if it shows up on GOG.

Mentioned it before, mentioning it now, and will surely mention it a lot in the future - this site, the Universal Hint System, is fantastic for adventure games with those kind of puzzles. Gives you a nudge in the right direction without outright giving away the solution so you can know if you missed something obvious, couldn't figure out a legit puzzle, or ran into a cat mustache puzzle without spoiling yourself.

That site would have been a godsend a few years ago.

Hawk269

Since this is my first Steam sale...how does the end of the sale work? Will everything just go off sale at the stroke of midnight? I notice some of the dailies end in 4.5 hours, which means that there is still an hour until mid-night, so would they post like a 1 hour flash sale or something?

LProtag

Did you try restarting Ste--

Oh.

Maybe it's an in-game option?

It's not under DLC and one expansion is standalone.

It's not a huge deal not being able to install it on this computer as I can't even play it on his computer... I just want peace of mind. It's in my licenses list though.

Eternia

Reposting because it probably got lost on the last page.
What do you find revolting about Final Fantasy that you hope to not find in The Last Remnant?

I'll just say a few things anyways. Story is typical throwaway stuff, the main character knows nothing but eventually realizes his importance and saves the world and such. The battles and party management on the other hand are nothing like FF. You have a large pool of characters to choose from that form the into unions and you control them through general commands in battle. For instance, you give a general heal or attack with physical/magic but it's up to the AI to decide how. On the PC I believe you can customize which skills you allow the AI to use. You do not gain levels, you gain battle rank which as it raises, it'll determine stat bonuses based on how difficult the enemies you've fought at the time were. Many sidequests, enemies can be seen on the map and a good number can be avoided, terrific soundtrack.

For those that missed that Flash Sale, Street Fighter IV: AE is $9.99 on Amazon. Not Steam redeemable.
Also, no Dead Rising 2: OTR, so a new Steam Sale rule should be: "If a Capcom game goes up in a Flash Sale, it will never be repeated."

Or "Fat chance that a Capcom game you want will go on sale".

I'm amazed that DMC3:SE is 20 bucks, twice the cost of DMC4. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a shitty port since it's before MT Framework.

gabbo

Since this is my first Steam sale...how does the end of the sale work? Will everything just go off sale at the stroke of midnight? I notice some of the dailies end in 4.5 hours, which means that there is still an hour until mid-night, so would they post like a 1 hour flash sale or something?

They generally run until midnight PST i believe or the usual 10amPST the next day, when steam's store usually resets

Shurayuki

That is nifty, I hate how modern adventure games have done away with hint system, where many classic adventure games had nice hints for you and if you got really stuck you could reveal just the solution for the puzzle you were on instead of randomly spoiling the whole game while trying to find the right passage on gamefaqs or so.

Wasn't one of the Syberia or Still Life series the one where the studio ran out of money and had to stitch together an unsatisfying ending to (i think the first) a game? I have all of these games but forgot :3

dani_dc

The sales will end in 16 hours. at which point the gamse will return to their original prices (give or take a few minutes).

Novacain

Fall of the Samurai is only standalone if you don't own Shogun 2, otherwise it just adds itself as DLC. Rise of the Samurai is DLC also, so both of those should show up under Shogun 2 in the DLC section if you own Vanilla.

gabbo

That is nifty, I hate how modern adventure games have done away with hint system, where many classic adventure games had nice hints for you and if you got really stuck you could reveal just the solution for the puzzle you were on instead of randomly spoiling the whole game while trying to find the right passage on gamefaqs or so.

Wasn't one of the Syberia or Still Life series the one where the studio ran out of money and had to stitch together an unsatisfying ending to (i think the first) a game? I have all of these games but forgot :3

Minor spoilers ahead - Given
Still Life's cliffhanger ending only concluded in Still Life 2 (A nice trick on Microids part, I think), it wouldn't shock me if it was Still Life

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
That site would have been a godsend a few years ago.

I truly feel that the site makes a lot of classic games playable where in their native state they're just too frustrating to deal with. "Cat mustache" and "duck float clamp" puzzles are not good design and while there is certainly relief if you manage to solve them on their own there isn't a feeling of satisfaction because it feels more like luck and trial and error than the end result of a clever thought. Before I found the site I found myself spoiling what should actually be solvable puzzles when I play old games because if I can't figure them out immediately I assumed they're some illogical mess and went straight to a walkthrough.

Top Bottom