• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT| Day of Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

swx

get rekt blue

iiN8f2qTk09qG.jpg

#Teamgreen

Uzzy

What makes Shadowrun's Dragonfall DLC so much better than the base game?

How to answer this without spoilers.. hmm. Well, to start with you actually have a proper cast of characters, fellow shadowrunners, who make up your team and have some depth to them. There's lots of great writing throughout the game really.

The setting is more developed too. Seattle in the original campaign felt a bit empty, while your home base in Dragonfall feels more alive and lived in. You might actually start caring about the NPC's problems in the area as you get to know them. Some of the little bits of storytelling in the campaign are top-notch, and just help you feel like Shadowrun's Berlin is a real place.

There's more illusion of choice too. It does that typical 'earn money to get the next main plot-point', giving you a host of missions to pick from and letting you do them in any order. Which I certainly appreciated.

Bought Shadowrun. Has the game a saving option now? I remember people complaining about the lack of it.

Yeah, saving anywhere was patched in when Dragonfall came out. Did you pick Dragonfall up too?

How to answer this without spoilers.. hmm. Well, to start with you actually have a proper cast of characters, fellow shadowrunners, who make up your team and have some depth to them. There's lots of great writing throughout the game really.

The setting is more developed too. Seattle in the original campaign felt a bit empty, while your home base in Dragonfall feels more alive and lived in. You might actually start caring about the NPC's problems in the area as you get to know them. Some of the little bits of storytelling in the campaign are top-notch, and just help you feel like Shadowrun's Berlin is a real place.

There's more illusion of choice too. It does that typical 'earn money to get the next main plot-point', giving you a host of missions to pick from and letting you do them in any order. Which I certainly appreciated.

Is there any kind of story branching? The base game threw a whole bunch of choice into the last 10 minutes when they didn't have to follow through on any of it :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Any info on Master Reboot or Planet Explorers? Both look kinda cool but no info at all.

A fiver and below is a pretty fair deal for Master Reboot. I wrote a review on it back at launch, some snippets:

Master Reboot starts off strong – perhaps a bit too strong for its own good – overloading the player with a ton of data to process. Beneath the shiny wireframe meshes that construct such a vivid and creative world lurks a presence that lightly drizzles a feeling of dread. For a while it feels like the developers have a tight grip on pacing and subtle horror influences that turn even a child’s room into a place where you can’t feel completely safe. Which makes it all the more tragic when, about two-thirds of the way through the game, Master Reboot completely loses any sense of pacing and tries to do too many things without ever completing the thought related to it.

Once the elephant in the digital room is unleashed, Master Reboot handles its subject matter with as much grace as the Saturday morning cartoon it appears to be. Always sidestepping and never truly making any particular statement, preventing itself from stepping on any toes or saying something more profound. In its stead we get a blend of romantic drama and half-hearted science fiction.

[It] clashes with so much of what proceeded these moments and when the gameplay is unable to hold up under pressure it really peels the surface back to show off glaring problems with the final third. Seren.exe, the system’s security process disguised as a creepy little girl, becomes too much of a force and the mystique behind her shatters through one too many encounters. The puzzles as well suffer at times, including one example where you’re required to remember the order of the solar system but the solution is factually incorrect. The optimist in me would love to believe this was a clever way to display how much this person paid attention in astronomy, but unfortunately it may just be a more wince-inducing mistake.

I came away very disappointed that such a promising start led to such a rushed and forgettable end. It does not completely undermine what the good two-thirds accomplish, yet those moments serve to remind just how great Master Reboot could have been.

Can you describe what makes Papers Please so good? I confess that I look at the screenshots and read about it, but I'm not quite sure I understand what the game actually is.

You're an inspector at a border checkpoint and have to decide who to let in. The game starts off incredibly simply, requiring you to only check one or two items, and quickly becomes more and more intricate. You are also tasked with supporting your family, which becomes difficult without breaking the law.

Enough with this card and team crap, can we get some themed achievements next time?

Ban/kill the cheaters and let the rest of us have something fun to do during the sale.

Eye Divine Cybermancy. Yes or No?

Half of the systems in the game are complete nonsense but the multiple playthrough story branching is pretty interesting and the game is just weird in a really fun way. I'd say yes for that price, think I bought the game near full price when it came out and I really enjoyed it.

So how is Shadowrun?

Seeing that $3.74 price is incredibly tempting. But already got Half Life 2 and Call of Jaurez : Gunslinger.

Gunslinger is FAR better then I ever knew it was. Surprised I hadn't played it sooner!

TlW2jpi.jpg

Why didn't you people warn me? You said this game was fun and steal at such a cheap price not that its like taking speed with a shot of caffeine. The rush is too strong.

I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom