• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought Last Planet 3 based on the GAF thread, and shit, it's really good!

Kinda like the first Dead Space so far. What a gem!

Just bought Arma III. It's 50% off. Figure that's probably as good as it's gonna get

nbthedude

Got the Can't Stop Laughing Bundle (duh) and Rogue Legacy (my first Daily of the sale).

So is this Hatty Hattington mofo a time lord or just a pedo

He's a Hattington of course.

He's the best friend you'll ever have.

No regrets buying Battleblocks yesterday. I played it for 3 hours with friends and we laughed a lot and loved it. And I'm a hard sell on game humor. I didn't think Castle Crashers was funny at all (nor all that great when compared to the game it was mimicking--Guardian Heroes).

I already love Battleblocks far more than I liked Castle Crashers.

Cth

Really tempted to get the new Transformers game.. originally planned on getting it for XBO, but $17 is a good price.

How's the PC crowd for previous games been?

biRdy

EDIT: wrong thread.

image.php

Toki767

I think I've probably gotten everything I care to get in this sale. I may get Injustice though just to play through the story if it's cheap.

Then why have the other four teams been tied the past three days?

Unless you seriously believe that's happening naturally, you're saying Reddit is controlling them all.

I'm on the purple team. I see we are about 80k behind after the first hour. How many badges you think I'm going to craft?

Not a damn one.

Caerith

x number of "hardcore" people (incl. whales) organizing to give each team a fair chance vs. y (not as active) people spread accross 5 teams who mostly don't give a fuck.

I don't think everything needs to be a huge conspiracy

I think you're right. Given the overall point totals (hundreds of thousands) vs how many Steam users there are, it wouldn't take a lot to sway the vote.

I also think there's an explanation for pink's "landslide" yesterday: the bare minimum theory. If you did the bare minimum participation each day-- vote three times for a card, craft a cheap badge to earn another two (one for the badge, one awarded the next day for participating)-- then you'd have 10 cards on day four. You'd only earn one point on the first three days, but on the fourth day you'd earn 10. If thousands of people did this, well, there's the result.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
at least the timing is pretty good for Europe. I don't think I've missed any of the votes or flash sales - in the morning after the kids have gone to school I have about an hour to catch the previous vote, and then get read y for another one.

BruteUA

You relly think that if Valve actively fixed this they would do it in a way that is so fucking obvious?

Not at all. I think they'd plant some bullshit "let's all work together" plan in a community that mistakenly thinks their online warriors can change the world to make it look legit.

Sucks.... I added steam to my laptop last weekend because I was going out of town. Today finally blue's turn to win and I can't craft anything because I'm now locked out of trading and the market until Wednesday :(

Why can't they just send me an email and a code to enter just like when I log in to unlock this crap :(

Maybe I'll sell cards and have enough to buy Surgeon Simul-

Oh, I paid with a different card and my account is locked for the next six days. Fucking amazing.

I had a similar issue because I had to reinstall steam on my PC. This is an incredibly poor implementation of a security feature, and really needs to be fixed.

The whole everyone takes turns thing is bullshit though.
Way to ruin the fun of the competition.

I kind of get it though. This isn't so much a competition as it is a pretty cynical cash grab on Valve's part. 90 free games a day is nothing compared to all the money they are making on this.

Unless you seriously believe that's happening naturally, you're saying Reddit is controlling them all.

Quoting myself
You really think that if Valve actively fixed this they would do it in a way that is so fucking obvious? Why wouldn't the other teams be tied? It's a lot of people spread over 4 teams that randomly gain points. The people that have any pull are mostly following the plan, so the rest averages out.

So yeah, that plan is indirectly "infulencing" all teams.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
It's been asked before, but where can I see what are the cheapest badges to craft?

Not at all. I think they'd plant some bullshit "let's all work together" plan in a community that mistakenly thinks their online warriors can change the world to make it look legit.

This is an even crazier conspiracy theory. It's is approaching time cube levels of lunacy.

KarmaCow

Not really, if the teams were organized randomly then why would the points not be more or less tied? Then you have that the plan is dependent on a sudden, sizable lead at the beginning which demotivates the other teams from catching up. Add in that the people who would be making badges like crazy are more likely to be aware of the plan on Reddit and curb their patterns, it's not unreasonable.

It's just a matter of a concentrated effort for the initial boost and having it snowball.

Enco

I kind of get it though. This isn't so much a competition as it is a pretty cynical cash grab on Valve's part. 90 free games a day is nothing compared to all the money they are making on this.
I never expect more from Valve to be honest.

Users don't care though. It gives them something to do and everyone just praises Lord Gaben and his kind heart.

Theoretically, there should be as much interest in stopping the predicted team from winning, no?

Earlier today the Blue Team Token on the Market place was already the second most expensive token after the pink one. And like ~230 Blue Team Tokens got sold in the last 24 hours coompared to (e.g.) ~115 sold Purple Team Tokens. By now this whole reddit thingy has become a self-fulfilling prophecy because the whales are switching the teams. ;-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom