• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Then might as well spoiler everything because some people are poor, or never watch movies. Spoilers are not the end of the world, and after a few years, it's not my job to shield you from them.

Yes, god forbid anybody use a little common courtesy while posting messages on the internet. That shit just slows you down!

Saganator

Have every game in the Addictive - Moddable category but voted for it anyways because those games are all awesome and more people need them

BIG ADVICE FOR THOSE GETTING SPEC-OPS:

Do NOT play on hard difficulty!

I usually play games on hard difficulty, but this is one of the very rare examples I would say playing on hard difficulty actively works against your enjoyment of the game. It can be argued that it creates the most realistic experience for the game, but honestly it is very fatiguing.

Really? I only died a few times towards the end on Hard. I find most cover shooters easy even on the hardest difficulty.

Salsa

the problem with any "spoilers are ok to post man game is X old!" argument is that it takes literally seconds to spoiler tag it and you gain nothing from not doing it other than being a dick to some.

so really, c'mon.

that said, in this case it wasnt anything game ruining so don't worry

Ilive1up

I usually play games on hard difficulty, but this is one of the very rare examples I would say playing on hard difficulty actively works against your enjoyment of the game. It can be argued that it creates the most realistic experience for the game, but honestly it is very fatiguing.

normal it is then!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

Speaking as a former military officer, no, it's actually not more realistic. It's just frustrating.

I personally played on the easiest difficulty setting and treated it like an adventure game, seeking it purely for the story and hidden clues in the game world to look at, and it just happened to get interrupted at times by gun fights
that may or may not have occured

I'm just gonna say that for all the weird *read awesome games that have been hyped in this thread over the last 4 years or so, the only one that totally delivered for me personally was Brothers a Tale of Two Sons.

Now I just have to wait another 7 hours to be disappointed by the flash deals again. I actually want to buy some games but Steam isn't making it easy.

Jeremy

Then might as well spoiler everything because some people are poor, or never watch movies. Spoilers are not the end of the world, and after a few years, it's not my job to shield you from them.

No one is saying it's a job or responsibility (mostly because it literally takes 2 seconds to click the spoiler button and it inserts the tags) but it's just courteous. It doesn't matter because you're very edgy and don't care but it's just the general consensus.

I don't understand, Lego is a daily and its up to being nominated as a flash as well? :/ what a waste. Was going to pick up neither till I found out it was pay2win, no thanks.

DarkFlow

Banned
Yes, god forbid anybody use a little common courtesy while posting messages on the internet. That shit just slows you down!

No, it's more the fact people on GAF tend to flip out out over things that are not even important to said story. I remember someone made a thread on here that was pissed they showed the MUTO in the Godzilla trailer.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I enjoy Lego games as much as the next man but c'mon Valve, give the Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Editions another chance. Or better still, stick them in as a daily.

Dambrosi

Banned
Kentucky Route Zero can be described in this way - 90% thumbs up

Stanley Parable can be described in this way - 94% thumbs up

Dear Esther can be described in this way - 82% thumbs up

Gone Home - 96% thumbs down

All of these games fall into the interactive story genre more than anything else. To think the extreme negative reaction to Gone Home isn't most significantly due to its subject matter rather than its gameplay style is fairly naive, frankly.
Well, to be fair, the whole SJW bandwagoning on the game by thirsty "new games journos" around the game's release probably didn't help its reputation among the larger gaming community.

And hey - Stanley Parable is at least funny, it's got that going for it. Can Gone Home or Dear Esther say that? I don't know enough about KR0 to judge it.

Gone Home is also the only one among those that got any sort of "mainstream" attention. It was the only game on that list that you couldn't really avoid hearing about if you follow any sort of games media. The immediate reaction from people who were actively looking for the game was a lot more positive, but as time went on and more people tried it (who likely didn't try those other games listed) the reaction turned sour. Dear Esther gets the same sort of over the top negative backlash from random people who buy it during a Steam sale without knowing what the game is.

Bioshock Infinite is very similar in that way. It's not the worst shooter out there last year, it's just the only one played by a lot of people who hate shooters to begin with.
Bioshock Infinite was a wasted opportunity, that's why it has become widely maligned. It would have been so much better as a different kind of shooter - say, something more like Deus Ex or System Shock 2, even. Hell, more emphasis on story elements would have helped!

rezn0r

I'm just gonna say that for all the weird *read awesome games that have been hyped in this thread over the last 4 years or so, the only one that totally delivered for me personally was Brothers a Tale of Two Sons.

It's funny, that'd be the other one I'd bring up if people were asking for nice short games that didn't disappoint IMO. That was a great one.

derExperte

Now I just have to wait another 7 hours to be disappointed by the flash deals again. I actually want to buy some games but Steam isn't making it easy.

I bought a bunch already but my wishlist isn't shrinking as fast as I hoped it would. Guess I'll buy some games on the last day for 'only' 50% off.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Devil May Cry 4 -- MB-1F938C440248F2E3 - Taken by Kusagari. 60 entrants total.

t1403575973z1.png

VeTqUrv.gif

Just a quick reminder for this giveaway!

DarkFlow

Banned
No one is saying it's a job or responsibility (mostly because it literally takes 2 seconds to click the spoiler button and it inserts the tags) but it's just courteous. It doesn't matter because you're very edgy and don't care but it's just the general consensus.

This is coming from the guy who said "is it up to me to maintain their posts for them?" while taking away said spoiler tags...

Yes, it's not your job to protect us from the spoilers. But I think that kind of behaviour hurts the community. Also different people have different reactions about spoilers: for some people they aren't the end of the world as you said, but for some of us they could ruin the experience completely.

Umi88

Dunno if there is still people interested on the Dead Island Epidemic Beta out there... but there you go :p :

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dead Island Epidemic #3 -- MB-FD2970BB8659B89B - Taken by devonodev
Dead Island Epidemic #2 -- MB-54A2DC9D671E476D
Dead Island Epidemic -- MB-22876A33B32D67C1 - Taken by gaiadyne
Dead Island Epidemic #4 -- MB-EB59E851A8CE6D21

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Really? I only died a few times towards the end on Hard. I find most cover shooters easy even on the hardest difficulty.

It's not dying a lot, it's fatiguing and not fun due to how the combat scenarios are written-up.

I played Binary Domain right before I played Spec-Ops, and that'd be an example of a game I think is a lot more fun on the hardest difficulty.

Spec-Ops does not benefit from it, due to how the gameplay and story are handled and how combat structures work in the game. It lacks any real sort of rewarding feeling and the challenge feels more superficial than anything. The difficulty is self-imposed, and some segments later in are a bit frustrating (the one that comes to my head is that section where you're riding the truck).

steadfast

Clearing out gift inventory - it's a free for all

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Interstellar Marines -- MB-054DF593244DC726 - Taken by benrichardson
Dead Island Epidemic -- MB-C9AD56A59C811D07 - Taken by Oublieux

Saad

With Gone Home on sale, I only got Trials Fusion in my wishlist.
Other games that caught my interest are Early Access games (Prison Architect, Planetary Annihilation, and Kerbal Space Program) but I feel like I better wait for final versions.

No, it's more the fact people on GAF tend to flip out out over things that are not even important to said story. I remember someone made a thread on here that was pissed they showed the MUTO in the Godzilla trailer.
Well, in this case, who knows what's important to the Gone Home story? A lot of us have never played it, so we have no idea what's a major storyline twist and what's just a routine plot point?

Mokoi

Banned
Figured I'll do a reminder for those who missed it.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dark Souls II -- MB-3EB9D9956AED776E

t1403657668z1.png

Jeremy

This is coming from the guy who said "is it up to me to maintain their posts for them?" while taking away said spoiler tags...

I removed it though because I hadn't considered that you could add the spoilers there. I wasn't quoting out of spite because I am taking it out on GAF for getting mad that MUTO was spoiled in Godzilla.

Regardless we're both going to get banned if this keeps up so I'm done with it.

I'm also curious about Planet Explorers. I feel like I've seen it three times this sale but just don't really know many people who own it or have an opinion about it.

Anilusion

First day I actually bought something. Picked up Gone Home and Spec Ops. Hoping for Dishonored and Trials Fusion to go on daily soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom