• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, my apologies. My post was made in response to a question as to why there was such a backlash against it, which is why I mentioned that. I thought that a year old game that was widely discussed in the gaming press because of it's subject matter was past the spoiler limit.
Sorry if I overreacted, man. I apologize. I just hate spoilers.

DarkFlow

Banned
With all these games popping up in sales years after release nowadays I'm not sure if there is a "limit" on spoilers. It's always going to be someone's first time at it, particularly in the sale threads. At the very least spoiler tagging things that could potentially hurt someone's experience with a older game is the neighbourly thing to do.

Oh god no, that's horrible. I'm sorry but if it's been like 3 years that shit is out the window. It's not my responsibly to walk on eggshells around you because you can't be bothered to get around to playing or watching something.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's not really a spoiler to Gone Home though, I mean sure one of the main plot lines but it's almost like saying Spec Ops being about soldiers in Dubai is a spoiler

It's a little more like saying that it's about soldiers in Dubai (big ol spoiler for Spec Ops)
who deal with the horrors of war like a white phosphorous attack up close

Ehh I just bought the game and ain't mad at the spoiler. This isn't the Red Wedding being spoiled or anything!

And as for the thumb down/up... the only thumb I care about is the metaphorical one in my head, and for £2/$4, we have no excuse not to try things for ourselves.

chixdiggit

I really recommend Nether for the price. It has the makings of a great game but by the time you figure out how shallow it is you will have definitely gotten your moneys worth at sale price.

Soroc

YEEESS!!! Fuck you steam security lock! I don't need no stinking trades or marketplace. I landed the last card I needed to craft the damn badge to be eligible for the blue drawing!

I know I won't be that lucky though! LOL

Try opening it in Steam rather than the webpage.

How would I do that? It's an HTTPS link, and the Address bar on the Steam client doesn't allow the URL to be modified.

Edit: Received contact from gift giver. They offered a direct copy, but I realized the game wasn't what I thought it was, so I appreciatively turned it down.

Oublieux

I know it's controversial, but regardless of how old a game is... a spoiler tag wouldn't hurt. It takes all of five seconds to incorporate one.

There are always a younger generation of gamers out there who are interested in playing more dated titles, too. I came late into the gaming scene and went back as far as the SNES to experience that era of creativity--I walked into Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, etc. pretty much all unspoiled and those are things I would never take away.

You get XP from badges, not buying games. You get 10 points for Summer badges, and 1 point for every other games badge. Frankly points mean shit as long as you have 1.

Well I'm pretty sure I just got 1 xp after buying Gone Home. And doesn't crafting game badges give you 100? I was just trying to level up to 8 so that I could get cards for voting.

Jeremy

Oh god no, that's horrible. I'm sorry but if it's been like 3 years that shit is out the window. It's not my responsibly to walk on eggshells around you because you can't be bothered to get around to playing or watching something.

>clicking spoiler button
>"walking on eggshells"

also not everyone just has unlimited amounts of money or free time for gaming.

I know it's controversial, but regardless of how old a game is... a spoiler tag wouldn't hurt. It takes all of five seconds to incorporate one.

There are always a younger generation of gamers out there who are interested in playing more dated titles, too. I came late into the gaming scene and went back as far as the SNES to experience that era of creativity--I walked into Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, etc. pretty much all unspoiled and those are things I would never take away.

The Princess
is in another castle

Spoiler tagging takes you 10-20 seconds at most. I think that's the most respectful thing you could do.

mrgone

What about the influx of old games being re-released on Steam? Or stuff people just havn't been able to get around to due to having low-end hardware, or just a lack of awareness of something? I'm not saying that you shouldn't discuss it, I'm saying that it's nice to be nice to your fellow gaffers and spoiler tags really aren't that difficult to use.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Unmarked spoilers is one of the internet deadly sins, and at the very least is a very arseful thing to do. On GAF it takes like, what, 5 seconds to spoiler tag something? I've played Gone Home and Spec-Ops, but neither of them are that ancient, and both games are best going into knowing little as possible and both are on sale right now. Why would you want to ruin the experience for others?

Good thing I avoided that spoiler, I won GH from BinaryPork2737! Thanks! Had really good luck with giveaways last few days. Going to give back some more keys tonight and whenever Humble sorts out an issue with stuff I have there. This thread rocks.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Spec Ops get.

Tell me I did the right thing, GAF.

Going in completely blind.

But the game was just spoiled a few posts ago :/

Good thing I avoided that spoiler, I won GH from BinaryPork2737! Thanks! Had really good luck with giveaways last few days. Going to give back some more keys tonight and whenever Humble sorts out an issue with stuff I have there. This thread rocks.

You're welcome!

DarkFlow

Banned
>clicking spoiler button
>"walking on eggshells"

also not everyone just has unlimited amounts of money or free time for gaming.

Then might as well spoiler everything because some people are poor, or never watch movies. Spoilers are not the end of the world, and after a few years, it's not my job to shield you from them.

Shengar

My first giveaway, be gentle Gaf

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition -- MB-16DC6C075AA5C534 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 56 entrants total.

t1403585129z1.png

Also, posts this thread count towards to not become a lurker right?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The Princess
is in another castle

That's what they want you to think.
She's actually busy defeating a demon in Super House Of Dead Ninjas.

There should be some courtesy though that when you walk into a room and someone says outloud "hey, I've never see this movie before, is it any good" not to respond with "yeah, it was great when at the end we figured out the Butler was the murderer" if you don't know whether or not they wish to be spoiled.

We don't have to go around using spoiler tags for everything of course and well known stuff shouldn't be walked on egg shells around, but it's easy spot a situation like this where people not have played a game and might get it for the very first time, especially when it's very story driven.

Scythian

I really want Gone Home but I feel like it is still a bit too expensive for what it is, I mean, for all I know it could be in a bundle soon with a bunch of other games plus soundtrack or whatever.

Come to that, which of the previous ones might be worth my time? I've heard the Marvel one is fun, is that the best choice?

The Marvel one tends to be more Cinematic Universe focused. (If the character's been in a movie, it'll be that one. So don't expect Hawkeye to have the big pointy mask.) It also has more of a focus on changing between characters with unique powers. It also has the better open world.

Lego Batman 2 has different suits for Batman and Robin, and then other DC heroes. It's more of an original story that feels more like the Justice League cartoon than any Batman movies. And in my opinion, better gameplay in the levels.

So that's the choice.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
BIG ADVICE FOR THOSE GETTING SPEC-OPS:

Do NOT play on hard difficulty!

I usually play games on hard difficulty, but this is one of the very rare examples I would say playing on hard difficulty actively works against your enjoyment of the game. It can be argued that it creates the most realistic experience for the game, but honestly it is very fatiguing.

rezn0r

Spec Ops: The Line was one of the best surprises I have ever had when it comes to going in blind to games. Too many spoilers flying around so I won't even name tracks but even the random awesome soundtrack that kicks in at the right moments was something I loved. I played the whole thing in one 6 or 7 hour sitting during a snow day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom